Halloween Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,100 Posts
This thread is full of great solutions, and goodness knows that I've used my fair share of rebar, T-posts, and zip-ties...they are all 'must-haves' in the tool-kit.

One item that I tend to use a lot but don't often see mentioned is floral wire. It's quite inexpensive, virtually disappears once in use, is semi-rigid but easy to cut and twist, and it's deceptively strong!

View attachment 726745
Yes floral wire is pretty strong. Get some lower gauge wire and that stuff is pretty tough.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,100 Posts
So, just steady on or are you using the hotshoe as a flash?

I've found my best photos tend to be done in fully manual with a remote shutter and a handheld light meter. I'm usually running it at F22 and having to manually count out on the bulb setting even to get exposure right.

This shot was a 20 second or more exposure, for instance.

So here is what I mean (and yes, using it steady not as a flash). 2 photos. Same shutter speed and f stop. Super dark scene originally on camera. Using my light (not as a flash) it enhances the photo without it looking harsh. Also great for video too.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I’m a fan of tent stakes. They usually go on clearance at the end of summer. Since they have a lip on them they can easy fit over the metal frames for most animatronics. I also use them for graves. A strip of Velcro on both the tombstone and the stake works wonders.

Lots of zip ties. Cause they don’t hurt anything and they’re cheap. I’ve also taken all single lights out of our jack-o-lanterns and replaced them with dollar tree string lights. So much brighter and easier to link cords together.

Garden stakes with pipe insulation can make for an easily collapsible fence with chain. We have been able to fully fence our yard and the stakes break down into one bucket and the chain goes in one trash bag.

The other thing I learned this year was how much PVC is my friend. I was able to make certain props taller when needed. If the pipe was too small, gorilla tape saved me. Also, since we are constantly dealing with wind I had not figured out how to put a prop on the porch without it toppling over. Realized when I tripped over our patio umbrella stand it could be a total win. And it was!

Thanks for the info on those beaded strips @Ghost of Spookie. I have never seen those.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought a bag of foot-long black pipe-cleaners at a thrift store a while back that have proven handy time and again for simple tie-offs and minor maintenance. Dunno what they'd cost new, but I imagine they're probably available at craft stores like Michael's and so on. 🦇

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I only recently discovered these, extension cords with outlets every so many feet:

I use them for my blow molds all year & they're great. Add in one of these things that cover any 2 connecting cords & you're set:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts