Halloween Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Something not mentioned yet is the amount of street lights you have will drastically change the lightning effect. I don't have that issue but I have read where others that do basically gave up as there was too much ambient light so the lightning effect was hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That’s my biggest problem, combatting the overhead street light across from me. Though I’ve heard I can petition the city to lower the intensity for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
The problem with using LED's is the driver's in most of the units require a small amount of time to power up when plugged in. If you notice when you plug one in, it may take up to a second to power up. Normally not a big deal but can have issues when trying to create a lightning effect. The other issue is that most are not dim-able. Depending upon your controller, it may have voltage reductions to simulate the effect, which the LED fixture may not respond to.

Not sure what your budget is, but for the best effect I have used DMX LED strobe units in the past with a program that ran with the thunder soundtrack on a DMX program for a nice effect.

With speakers, you can usually get a cheap receiver speaker combo at a garage sale or flea market. You would want something that has a decent amount of bass for a good simulation.

In regards to street lights, I don't think they are dimmable (maybe the new LED units are, definitely not the HID lamps.) I have in the past aimed a pinspot light at the photosensor on top the light to shut off the unit. Obviously you would need written permission or permit to turn off the light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have in the past aimed a pinspot light at the photosensor on top the light to shut off the unit.
Haha, that's brilliant!

Some led lights are instant on when you power up, it all depends what circuit is stepping down the voltage inside. It's a case of just trial and error finding ones that work.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I’m “noting” the “pinspot at the photosensor” unless the one “in proximity” is on a timer. Tried aiming a green laser at it. All around and nothing happened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which do you use.. What setup do you have, what would you recommend to get the best results out of either? I have a Perfect Storm unit but no lighting as of yet as I thought I'd ask the question first before committing. So was curious to see what sort of ideas could be bounced around..

I don't fancy the worklights on stands look as that's usually the one they pair them with and not very discreet for Halloween.. I'd like something like this to blend in with their surroundings and surprise people. I want something with a more white light than the normal yellowish hues you get from bulbs as I think this'll work more effectively and portray lightning more realistically.

Also, how loud a speaker would work best, are we talking a large Bluetooth speaker or more like an amp!!?

P.S. I'm in the UK so I'm on 240v not 110v if that makes any difference to your suggestions.

Any help would be great..
I use the Perfect Storm with a small guitar amp and an LED work light the sits on the ground and is easily concealed with a tombstone, or a bush. The light is super bright: 5000 lumens, and really white in color, not yellow. Works great!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I use the Perfect Storm with a small guitar amp and an LED work light the sits on the ground and is easily concealed with a tombstone, or a bush. The light is super bright: 5000 lumens, and really white in color, not yellow. Works great!
That sounds like the sort of setup I need.. Thanks. 👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Which do you use.. What setup do you have, what would you recommend to get the best results out of either? I have a Perfect Storm unit but no lighting as of yet as I thought I'd ask the question first before committing. So was curious to see what sort of ideas could be bounced around..

I don't fancy the worklights on stands look as that's usually the one they pair them with and not very discreet for Halloween.. I'd like something like this to blend in with their surroundings and surprise people. I want something with a more white light than the normal yellowish hues you get from bulbs as I think this'll work more effectively and portray lightning more realistically.

Also, how loud a speaker would work best, are we talking a large Bluetooth speaker or more like an amp!!?

P.S. I'm in the UK so I'm on 240v not 110v if that makes any difference to your suggestions.

Any help would be great..
I've had success with one of those LED worklights that is a desktop model - no stand, just a brace to prop it up. It's about 6-7 inches square (15-20cm for y'all metric types), and a cool white light.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've had success with one of those LED worklights that is a desktop model - no stand, just a brace to prop it up. It's about 6-7 inches square (15-20cm for y'all metric types), and a cool white light.
Without a make or model this is not helpful because I have bought two of these lights Tacklife and Hypericon and they both have a huge start up time of 2 seconds which won’t work with perfect storm. I have seen the Tacklife sold with several brand names also.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,780 Posts
Here is a thread from back in my home haunting days. These are the can lights I built for my lightning setup. I basically lit the house and these helped concentrate the light and kept the lights hidden when watching from the yard or street.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts