Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you use.. What setup do you have, what would you recommend to get the best results out of either? I have a Perfect Storm unit but no lighting as of yet as I thought I'd ask the question first before committing. So was curious to see what sort of ideas could be bounced around..

I don't fancy the worklights on stands look as that's usually the one they pair them with and not very discreet for Halloween.. I'd like something like this to blend in with their surroundings and surprise people. I want something with a more white light than the normal yellowish hues you get from bulbs as I think this'll work more effectively and portray lightning more realistically.

Also, how loud a speaker would work best, are we talking a large Bluetooth speaker or more like an amp!!?

P.S. I'm in the UK so I'm on 240v not 110v if that makes any difference to your suggestions.

Any help would be great..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you actually tried to use the unit? Fright props state on their site that the Perfect Storm Unit won't work on 240v even with a transformer (I'm not sure why it wouldn't work through a transformer though).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah I've tried it briefly with a transformer converter that I have and a small work light like the ones they recommend, just to check, no problems whatsoever.. I have to use step down converters with all my US imported props as they're the same so there's no problem using them.. Why they'd state no 240v I don't know, because clearly it's wrong.. 🙄

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't have either of those units, but I have used similar setups. I moved to using cool wire led strips along from of house with their power supply plugged in to unit. These gave a brighter and bluer lighting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, cool.. That's an idea.. Anyone else with other ideas.. Always happy to gain knowledge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Weird, maybe they're worried about the difference in the frequency.
If you don't want that yellow glow you're looking for lights that are at least 4000K. The higher the number the less yellow and the more blue. The firefly specs say that if you go led it needs to be dimmable, FP doesn't but I suspect theirs will be the same.
Having said that, I use super cheap 10w flood lights as work lights in various attractions and having just connected one to a flicker unit seems to give off a similar effect. For about £3 might be worth picking on up to try.
For a more directional light, I have used some par16's with dimmable led lamps in on flicker circuits and they work great. But not to flood a whole room.

Edit to add: Although I haven't used either of those units, they appear to be very similar. If you already have the perfect storm I wouldn't import another unit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well ideally I want a setup that I can alternate between lighting the whole house front or back garden, but also something that can be toned down a bit as kind of a scare prop inside.. Something quite versatile.. And yes I realise I need 4000k upwards bulbs for the whiter/blue colour but that should be easier to sort than the actual setup. 😂

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had a perfect storm and use a photo flood bulb. I believe they are the type of bulbs photographers use with the umbrellas to give a bright flash. I hung it from a tree in one of those aluminum dish light fixtures that contractors use. Worked great.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm biased but I would say Firefly. :). Great company literally 2 miles from my house. I just sent in my micro flicker controller that is beyond the 3 year warranty and they are doing the repair on it for free. The Firefly circuitry and technology seems to be more advanced in my opinion when comparing the two.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Okay, throwing something completely different into the mix, just because we have different circumstances few folks think about. We have an epileptic in the house, and as you might think, strobe lights are tough on him. However, the lightening boxes are actually pretty decent because they don't pulse a steady rhythm which is generally what induces the seizures. He can't look at a lightening box for very long, but he won't kick into seizure mode right away.

One thing helps when using lightening boxes. Have additional lights on your property that light it up between flashes. If you're flashing up against your house walls, have a couple of low light floods with purple or green uplights. It adds a bit of drama and fun to the house anyway, but it also keeps the flashes from being as intense. You still get the effect, while lessening the effect it might have on epileptic folk. And truth be told, if I were a parent walking their kid around at night, I would appreciate it only because my eyes don't work as well as they did when I was younger. The dark, blinding light, dark, blinding light, effect makes it tough to see where I'm going because my eyes don't adjust that quickly. The overall effect is sort of walking blind most of the time. The extra light helps keep the pathways lit, even when the storm isn't brewing. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use the Perfect Storm hooked up to a sound source with a lightning soundtrack, a halogen work light and an old guitar amp. I put the light in a sort of frame and strap it about 20' high in a tree in front of our house so it feels more like real lightning. It all works pretty well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, some absolutely excellent points there and all great ideas.. I had some similar ideas of what kind of things to do but it's nice to hear some with the same thought processes.. And with regards to the epilepsy that's something I'd never have thought about. A point well raised.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use the Perfect Storm hooked up to a sound source with a lightning soundtrack, a halogen work light and an old guitar amp. I put the light in a sort of frame and strap it about 20' high in a tree in front of our house so it feels more like real lightning. It all works pretty well.
That's pretty much the sort of thing I had in mind, cheap and cheerful but with a good effect..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, throwing something completely different into the mix, just because we have different circumstances few folks think about. We have an epileptic in the house, and as you might think, strobe lights are tough on him. However, the lightening boxes are actually pretty decent because they don't pulse a steady rhythm which is generally what induces the seizures. He can't look at a lightening box for very long, but he won't kick into seizure mode right away.

One thing helps when using lightening boxes. Have additional lights on your property that light it up between flashes. If you're flashing up against your house walls, have a couple of low light floods with purple or green uplights. It adds a bit of drama and fun to the house anyway, but it also keeps the flashes from being as intense. You still get the effect, while lessening the effect it might have on epileptic folk. And truth be told, if I were a parent walking their kid around at night, I would appreciate it only because my eyes don't work as well as they did when I was younger. The dark, blinding light, dark, blinding light, effect makes it tough to see where I'm going because my eyes don't adjust that quickly. The overall effect is sort of walking blind most of the time. The extra light helps keep the pathways lit, even when the storm isn't brewing. :)
That's kinda my thinking too.. I have purple and green floodlights so yes I'd definitely mix them in with the lightning.. I think it would definitely add to the effect. 👍

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hoped someone would have shown what LED work light they used.
Yes, LED would be my preferred choice to be fair due to the low current. I have a few props and lights running so less draw as possible would be best. 👍

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yes, LED would be my preferred choice to be fair due to the low current. I have a few props and lights running so less draw as possible would be best. 👍
The one thing that incandescent lights offer that LED lights don't stems from how good LED's use power. Any of the lightening options that use a color organ to drive their lighting usually have levels of how much power they push though based on the volume of the thunder clap. The louder the sound, the more the power. With incandescent lights, that works really well to provide dimmer lightening flashes for those in the distance, and bold, blinding flashes with the loudest thunderclaps. LEDs need so little power to charge up that they can reach full brightness with a fraction of the power of incandescents. The final result is that most LED lightening is full on with far less power. You don't get as many subtle differences in the lightening based on the rumble of the thunder because LEDs are full on much more quickly with far less power.

It's a trade-off, though. One of the best things you can do once you decide on your box is to run it through its paces with various lighting choices. Drag it outside and use every option you have currently and try a few less expensive options before committing to any choice. (If you have friends who are sympathetic to your haunting, ask to borrow any lightening they may have that you don't) In short order you may find that the lighting that works for you doesn't come from any of the suggestions we make.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Part of what Chubstuff describes is true - the incandescent did just glow on the lighter claps where the LED lights up. Most of this glow on Halogen doesn't transmit into light production though and is not noticed unless you are looking right at the bulb. With Halogen only the big claps produced lightning.
Led has a very pronounced difference in the amount of light produced.... not just on or off! There was a huge difference in the effect with LED coming out way better looking! - in my opinion at least!
Try it for yourself......

Also the perfect storm has a dial for the sensitivity adjustment which can be set for the amount of light desired.

I tested the 500W halogen work light against the LED bulbs and it was all LED for me!
YMMV....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts