Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to sort of "cover" my flood lights and spot lights in my haunt so that they arent so obvious to the viewers that they are there. Sort of like put a makeshift housing around them and just let the light out. Anyone have anything they use that is quick and inexpensive or any ideas??? Thanks!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
I made these last year. Very quick and easy. Ended up using them for my lightning spots.

just new 1 gal cans from the local paint store. about $3 each. used my cheapo Harbor freight hole saws to cut a hole in the back to put the light through. The only trick with these was finding the right spot holders. I got these at Walgreens. You need to make sure they have the 3 screws around the ring where the bulb screws in. You take those out, remove that ring and you mount that from inside the can. Use the ring to mark your holes for the 3 screws.

only thing you might want to do is drill some drain holes if you plan on leaving them out for any period of time...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you think it could possibly be made to protect the light, or more specifically the bulb & socket from getting wet? How big did the ones you made, turn out to be halinar? Are they fairly small & somewhat inconspicuous? Because I like the idea, since I've been thinking of a way to safely light my display that keeps the fixture(s) dry and isn't very noticeable to eye during the daytime.

And as far as the paint cans go, would it be difficult getting a clear protective lens over the opening (plexi-glass?), or would it really matter if it is for spotlight fixture made to be outdoors anyhow?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I appreciate the great ideas! Still thinking it over and see what will be easiest for what I all ready have as far as the flood light holders and everything

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
The large, thin plastic tubs that they sell cheese puffs and/or packets of pretzels in are perfect for a floodlight housing.
(the one's I'm using are what Costco sells their Halloween Pretzel packs in - they're about a foot around, just over a foot tall, and thin plastic)

Take the tub, cut the open end off (or not - however, it blocks a lot of light if you don't), spray paint the INSIDE of the tub (I've used brown and black, but I suppose green would work or whatever color - just keep in mind that is the color people will see during the daytime).
Once the paint's dried (I recommend a couple of coats to keep it opaque), cut a slice half way down one side - this is what you're going to slip around the base of the floodlight holder.

So, place the cut at the base of the holder, and slide the tub up until the light is surrounded as needed - the one's I've done keep out the elements fairly well, and keep the light from being broadcast except for where I really want it. Additonally, they do not get hot, as the open end allows enough air in to channel the heat away.

(sorry - don't have pic's of the holders to show, but it's a pretty simple design)

·
Registered
42 Posts
The large, thin plastic tubs that they sell cheese puffs and/or packets of pretzels in are perfect for a floodlight housing.
(the one's I'm using are what Costco sells their Halloween Pretzel packs in - they're about a foot around, just over a foot tall, and thin plastic)
Hey Ugly, do they look like this?

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
ssf - close, and for some reason, I'm having a hard time finding the exact canister on the Costco site. I think the one I've been using is more seasonal.
I'm certain that one would work as well, as long as it's about 10"-12" in diameter.

(the canisters I've been using are a bit more pumpkin shaped - a bit more squat, and have pumpkin-like ridges...I love those things for storage, prop help, whatever)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I love that rock cover. The problem I have with mine is that they point upwards to wash the whole house in color. No matter how I point them, inevitably, they are pointing right at your eyes when walking down our stairs. It's not blinding but it could be dangerous for someone walking down the stairs and getting their eyes messed up like when a flash goes off. Maybe a cover would help but I'm not sure. I've tried aiming it away from the stairs, at an angle, but then it doesn't quite get the whole house. And then it blinds people walking down the sidewalk. Maybe I should just pass out sunglasses? :p

·
Banned
524 Posts
I love that rock cover. The problem I have with mine is that they point upwards to wash the whole house in color. No matter how I point them, inevitably, they are pointing right at your eyes when walking down our stairs. It's not blinding but it could be dangerous for someone walking down the stairs and getting their eyes messed up like when a flash goes off. Maybe a cover would help but I'm not sure. I've tried aiming it away from the stairs, at an angle, but then it doesn't quite get the whole house. And then it blinds people walking down the sidewalk. Maybe I should just pass out sunglasses? :p

Put a diffuser over it....

·
Registered
1 Posts
For next time...
This is what we use

Lindcraft Black Studio Foil 2' x 25' or 1' x 50'

Fast and easy...and temporary.
Also, you could take some heavy duty aluminum foil and paint the dull side black with hi temp paint (cheaper). Black Wrap can be used over and over so buy a roll and split it with your friends.

Just tear a piece off and wrap it around the back of the bulb. It will hold itself together barring a really strong wind.

If you prefer Amazon...try this

·
Registered
220 Posts
Depending on the set up you have, and the natural environment of your area. I try to use what would naturally be in the setting, from flower pots in a cemetery, rocks, the back of another prop, trees, bushes, signs, fence posts, pillars anything that fits the setting.

·
Registered
326 Posts
For next time...
This is what we use

Lindcraft Black Studio Foil 2' x 25' or 1' x 50'

Fast and easy...and temporary.
Also, you could take some heavy duty aluminum foil and paint the dull side black with hi temp paint (cheaper). Black Wrap can be used over and over so buy a roll and split it with your friends.

Just tear a piece off and wrap it around the back of the bulb. It will hold itself together barring a really strong wind.

If you prefer Amazon...try this Amazon.com: Rosco Black Wrap Alumimun Foil 12"x50': Everything Else
This is what we do. Wrap in tin foil and paint it with high temp flat black paint. Works great.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Make a hollow tombstone.

Make a wedge-shaped tombstone, that allows for room inside for a clamp light. Cut the back wall wide open to allow the light to shine out and backward towards the other props, and place them all up at the sidewalk so they shine upon all the props in your yard.

I cut some translucent plastic (extra vapor barrier from doing my bathroom renovation) and glued them to the inside around the opening, and then glued aluminum foil to the rest of the inside of the tombstone. Kept the foam from glowing! The plastic "window" over the opening made a weather-proofed housing to protect the lamps. I then stabbed a stake in the ground, clamped the light to it, slid the tombstone over, and ran power cables appropriately.

I only used 10-watt appliance bulbs, because the plastic REALLY diffused the light and let it shine everywhere in an eerie glow. But even that was bright compared to the barely-visible effect I wanted. So I spray-painted the plastic with black paint until it darkened it just enough. Probably could have used thin black garbage bags instead. Just enough light for the people to read the tombstones, but not enough to see everything clearly. Some of you might want really bright lights, so just drop in brighter bulbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts