Halloween Forum banner

2023 Pumpkin Growers' Thread

33K views 905 replies 28 participants last post by  MCR 
#1 ·
I was asked to start up this year's thread...so here it is!
I can't wait to see what everyone grows, this year!
I usually grow my minis and assorted gourds. I saved some seeds from some of my gourds from last year and I'm hoping I will get some interesting hybrids from them if they were cross pollinated! We will see!!
I think I will be trying some Sugar Pie pumpkins, this year, too...hopefully, I have room for them.
I'm hoping for the best of luck for everyone this growing season!!! 🎃

Discussion starter · #2 ·
I always like to share this particular site, each year, as it has soooo much detailed information about pumpkin growing.
At the very least, check out the "pollination" and "fertilizer/nutrient" sections of their page:

Growing Pumpkins Big And Small. How To Grow Pumpkin Plants.

As always, I'm no pro, but always here if anyone has questions. I try to help as best I can! There are others who are great at answering questions, too, who have been growing even longer than me...they are always willing to help, too! We all do our best to help each other out with tips, tricks and things we've learned along the way!

Also, if you are fairly new, or just starting out, you can look up and check out any of the previous year's pumpkin growers threads for more pics and info!

Discussion starter · #6 ·
IF I grow this year, I've settled in on CRONUS variety. 25-60 lb should provide the bigger size to sprinkle in with the basketball 12-20 lb I usually buy for the party, and those STEMS!

Ooh, Cronus looks lovely! I like that shape a lot!
I hope your "If" becomes a "For sure"!

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Yay 2023!
@WitchyKitty

Thank you so much for starting the new pumpkin growers thread.
I've been dying to tell you all about something I learned in Pennsylvania last weekend...
There are several Pumpkin Auctions held in Pennsylvania for the east coast. Local farmers & Amish bring in their pumpkins from the fields. It's a massive operation & I found it all incredibly fascinating. There are several videos on YouTube to watch. View attachment 774844
Oh, a pumpkin auction?? I'd probably get over excited, accidentally bid on too much, and go bankrupt, lol.
Heck, it'd just be fun to be there and see all the varieties!

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Great info, already, guys! It's good to have lots of links and tips on the first pages so those just starting out or in need of help can find it, easily!
MCR, I hope you end up being able to grow, this year...even if it's just a smaller vine or two!!

Discussion starter · #24 ·
This just seems wrong on so many levels. But, I could not help posting, especially since I was googling about growing pumpkins in Arizona. Blame it on Kdestra.....lol

View attachment 774888
Uumm...I absolutely love pumpkins. I have two vehicles that are orange and pumpkin themed.
This...however...is just a weeee bit too overboard, even for me...this, here, is cringy...😬🤣

Discussion starter · #33 ·
So far, just the Gumdrop variety I normally grow plus the bigger Renegade version of that variety. I also got seed from a 100lb field pumpkin that I'm going to try- but I've never bought from this seller before so we'll have to see how it goes. Hoping the weather is kinder this year.

View attachment 774923
View attachment 774925

Bad news is the feral cats in the area have like doubled, so I'm planning on building a chicken wire "cage" to cover the seedlings while they're little this year. Can't imagine having to deal with javelinas!
Oh! How big are the Gumdrop ones??

Discussion starter · #54 ·
@WitchyKitty & @Mayor of Haddonfield - I'm just insane & always start pumpkins earlier then most people. Besides the big box (industrial) growers have started their seeds. Those plants will be packed, shipped & start arriving in stores 8 weeks. I like to give the big guys a little competition. My plants are from my seeds, adapted to the environment & healthier. So yeah, I'm certified insane

Hey, does anyone remember the really cool Long Stems on the pumpkins last year? I've been looking around & found this website. Most of these appear to be F1 Hybrids. They sure are pretty but idk how well they'd grow 23 Of The Latest Pumpkin Varieties
Pumpkins, gourds, squash, ect. germinate and grow FAST indoors...and it will be months, yet, before its warm enough to plant warm weather plants outdoors. If I started, now, I'd probably have full vines exploding out of my tiny pop up greenhouse in the basement before I could plant them, lol.

Discussion starter · #59 ·
I just stumbled upon this thread, I love growing Giant pumpkins, have been growing them for about 5 years, my personal best (pb) was in 2022 with a 1390#. Look forward to reading your guys progress.
Welcome!!! Glad to have you!
I hope you share pics of your growing progress, once you start!

Discussion starter · #61 ·
Our weather is warmer but that does not mean that the overnight temperatures work with pumpkin growing. While the highs this week will be between 55-65 which is nice, the lows remind me why we really should not plant most things until after Easter.

Lows: Monday: 29, Tuesday: 29, Weds.: 31 Thurs.: 47, Fri.: 42 Saturday: 33 and Sunday: 32.
Our general warm weather growing, flower buying, ect. usually happens after mother's day.

Discussion starter · #70 ·
Not sure who is really starting unless they are going to build an outdoor hut with heat like I did that one year. I figure I am further South than most, and our last frost date is like April 15ish. I plan on starting my seeds on April 22nd and putting them outside on May 7th. I have just learned my lesson, there is a difference between sun and a warm sun, if that makes any sense.

Right now, I am still breaking up the new ground. My only prep this year, will probably just be 13-13-13 from HD. Once I am closer to planting day, I will put out some potassium and phosphorous products. I have put out two to almost three times the legal limit of nitrogen and I think it backfires on me. The main vine grows so fast that It puts out a pumpkin every two feet instead of about 1 foot. Then that puts pressure on me, if the main does not pollinate after two or three tries.

Trying to keep it simple like I did in my best year before the soil disease.
Oh, being from the north, I well know the difference between sun and warm sun, lol. It can be a deceiving, sunny, blue skied day from the inside of the house, looking out...but you open that door and get slapped in the face with subfreezing temps.
We have to wait until the sun is, not only warm, but has been warm enough to warm the soil to around the 60-ish, down so far.

I am pretty sure someone, if not more than one, have started, indoors, already...I'll have to backtrack and go read. I don't start, indoors, until May/mid-May. I can't even begin cleaning up and prepping the garden bed, yet...though, with the way I've been feeling, I don't know how much work it will get, this year...

Discussion starter · #79 ·
I've started my seeds today, I'll do a little each day.

The pumpkins are a variety of white and orange colors. I have a large garden so I put them all over. I also have a small sunroom on the back of my house that gives me a few weeks jump on the growing season.

Around mid-summer/summer solstice I'll plant another batch of seeds into the ground and I usually have pumpkins all fall.

View attachment 775342
Welcome to the forum! Happy to have you join in our pumpkin growing thread! I can't wait to see what you grow!

Discussion starter · #80 ·
love seeing what everyone is doing. not sure i will be planting any this year the squirrels were awful to mine last year.
Yeah, as many know, the squirrels and other critters wreck havoc on much of what I grow...especially flowers and pumpkins. I do have better luck growing my smaller and mini pumpkins upwards...harder for the animals to get to them! I hope you try to grow some minis, at least!