I have a cheap, flimsy Frankenstein mask I bought at Walmart several years ago. The paint job on it is terrible, but I always thought the sculpt was kind of cool. I decided to make it into a piece of wall art.
This is what the piece looked like coming out of storage.
The mask was wrinkled and distorted quite a bit. To give the face its shape back, I lined the inside of the mask with several layers of masking tape. I then attached strips of cardboard to give it some structure.
Now, to prepare the surface for painting, I gave the face a couple coats of Mod Podge.
First, I painted the entire surface black to hide the awful paint job.
Next was a base coat of green.
I then dry-brushed on a coat of a lighter green to bring out the details and highlight some areas.
For the eyes and lips, I chose purple. I then dry-brushed on some lighter purple to show the wrinkles.
Finally, I painted the hair using a fine brush and painted in the forehead scar. After another coat of Mod Podge, this mask is ready for display!