Animated GraveDigger
Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Default Animated GraveDigger

    This is an animated Gravedigger prop I made. It's mostly recycled from old props and molds I had in the garage, but I animated it in the "leering ghost" kind of way (bent PVC attached to upper body and running on a slow window motor). I attached mine to the window roller motor with Home Depot stir sticks and bolts. Here's the finished prop:



    Here is a video of the inner mechanism and how I built it:



    Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Frankie's Girl; 12-14-2018 at 08:22 PM. Reason: fix video link embed

  2. Remove Advertisements
    HalloweenForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,291

    Default

    I love it! that mask/head is so expressive and different and it works really well as a creepy but not scary prop.

    I do like the idea of him balancing the other hand on a shovel and having it pivot when he turns back and forth. Will look quite nice. Or another suggestion would be a small pile of dirt with the shovel sticking out and a hat hanging off the end, as if he was in the middle of digging and heard something and stopped, hung up his hat and picked up the lantern to see... either way, great prop for a graveyard!
    Last edited by Frankie's Girl; 12-14-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    I'm a Halloween Bride! 10/31/2002

    Where there is no imagination there is no horror.
    ~Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

  4. #3

    Default

    Thanks Frankie! The original sculpture of that head was just a troll (it was one of the first things I sculpted as a display head) but with the bulging eyes and gaping mouth it transforms into more of a scared look! I love your "in the middle of digging..." idea! I think I will use it! I had bought a hat to put on him but it obscured his face too much, so I love the hang it up idea!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    HalloweenForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cheswick, PA
    Posts
    1,730

    Default

    Great job. I love the head you used and his stance.

    I do have a suggestion for your mechanism. I would add a Tee fitting at the bottom of your upright pipe, another short section of pipe below that, and a PVC cap on the bottom. That will allow all of the downward force to be directed to the base and will eliminate the need for the zip tie. You can then replace the paint stick at the bottom of your pipe with a length of PVC inserted into the Tee. It will be more durable and easier to turn overall.

    Keep up the good work!

  7. #5

    Default

    Thanks Diabolik! I was thinking of doing that...I just need a run to Home Depot to pick up the fittings! I was originally planning on running a 90 degree elbow for the linkage but your idea of the T fitting with a bump stop is even better!

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    102
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    This is amazing !! I would love to hear more about the fabrication of the head and hands. Your work is incredible, thanks for sharing it

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    45
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Impressive!

  10. #8

    Default

    Thanks Ken! That's very nice of you to say! The hands were done as a lifecast; dental alginate in a container (I used coffee cans) and then cast up in plaster. From there I did a 2 part mold of each hand and cast them up using slush latex (just a high viscosity liquid latex). I brushed in a couple of coats, let them dry and then closed the molds and poured in a low density polyfoam (it pours in as a liquid, then foams up and becomes spongy like carpet foam). I suppose I could have skipped a couple of steps if I would have just done the lifecast with silicone instead of alginate, but I didn't have any lifecasting silicone lying around.
    The head was cast in the same way (latex/ polyfoam) but the head was sculpted using plastilene clay, molded in Gypsum (Ultracal/ dental stone / etc.) the two part mold was then separated and cleaned out. Then I cast the latex and polyfoam into that. Then trimmed, painted and I'm going to add hair.

  11. #9

    Default

    Thanks Memnet!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    102
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Very helpful, thanks for the guidance and the time it took to give it!!!! I look forward to seeing more of your display.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    HalloweenForum.com
    Advertisements
     

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •