• Witches

Votes: 27 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I often see people dress up as Zombies and Witches on Halloween, so I want to know what you would rather see alot. Zombies or Witches. I think Zombies are way more awesome. So let's see what you think.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It totally depends. I live in Minneapolis where we have an awesome Zombie Pub Crawl in October. People get so into it and I always have a blast. Blood and brains everywhere! However, there's something classic and nostalgic about putting on a witch's hat and walking around with a broom. That's what I usually dress as on Halloween to pass out candy. Very Halloween-y.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I prefer witches as they're as classic symbol of Halloween. Witches are the main characters in my haunt as well as several other Halloween classics. Zombies are still sort of trendy although I think of them more as "born again corpses".

But in the spirit of Halloween, a zombie is a kind of monster and makes a great costume to make for relatively low cost. As for a Haunt, I think it works as long as you keep it in theme. Last year I saw so many zombies mixed with cutesy blow-ups, it made me want to throw up! For an apocalypse theme, haunted hospital, manic morgue, insane asylum, mad lab, etc ... I just think zombies work best when the setting is appropriate for them. But then it has been said (by more than one) that I'm a little OCD when it comes to the details. :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
Witches!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Having grown up in western PA, the zombie capital of the world, I must say I agree that zombies have been over done. But I would say the same about witches. How many more people in torn old clothes, with red spray paint blood on them, and $3.00 make-up kits, or people in plain black dresses and pointy hats, do we need?

I would like to see both groups up their game.

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
I fully support the idea of ALL Halloween groups upping their game.

That said...zombies have been done to death (pun intended).

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,398 Posts
Zombies are the new vampires. This too shall pass, but as a Walking Dead fan I gotta say TEAM DARYL!!! ZOMBIES 4 EVAR!!!

Zombies, as we know them anyway, are relatively new. Really George Romero gave us the zombie we all know & love/hate back in 1968. Up until then zombies were voodoo zombies, they were controlled, reanimated dead folks, not the rotting dead folks we all currently know.

This was a zombie until Romero had the vision to up the game. And he's said he never called them zombies, they called them "ghouls."

So they're really the new monster on the block being only a year younger than I am!!

Witches have been around for centuries yet I never really took to them. I was never the little girl that wanted to be a witch for Halloween, not until this year & then I think I picked it because it's an easy costume & I'd never done it before. You can go scary or not. Put on the dress, the hat, the shoes & wig & you're done if you so choose.

Good zombie makeup takes latex, blood, makeup, shredded clothes, etc. To do it properly it takes time. Yes you can just put some blue/white makeup on, toss some red in there here & there & shamble about but I couldn't do that little.

The first time I saw NotLD (1968 original) I knew something was different. Zombies are us. They're frightening on many levels & there's been volumes written about the hows & whys of zombies. There's the whole "uncanny valley" you fall into with zombies, they're us yet they're our "lizard brain" version of us, the basic instinct & nothing else, the herd mentality at its highest level, we avoid death now for the most part compared to our ancestors who used to lie in the "parlor" in their coffins surrounded by flowers to keep the smell at bay & zombies are death incarnate in our faces, oh I could go on forever about my love & fear of zombies but I won't & don't even get me started on the 28 Days Later "infected!!"

The first witches I remember are the Wicked Witch of the West, Glinda & Witch Hazel from the Bugs Bunny cartoons. Only one of those is scary. So those were my starting point for witches & while they're making a bit of a comeback with several TV shows & movies (American Horror, Charmed, Witches of the East End, Maleficent, Lords of Salem) I still don't dig 'em as much as the flat out horror of zombies.

Yes, zombies have reached maximum saturation level, but the wheat is separating from the chaff & the crap will die off quickly. Just like they did with vampires, people will remember Walking Dead & American Horror while the imitators will be forgotten in a season.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've never liked zombies. Anything that involves cannibalism and disease doesn't really appeal to me. Witches, on the other hand, have always been my favorite. I dressed as a witch for five years straight as a child, and then again last year. I love the potions, the magic, the flowing clothes, the simmering cauldrons. No contest. Witches FOREVER!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
RCIAG, my thanks for showing such respect to the zombie Godfather, Don Romero. :)

To the Echo Sorceress, I think your view is similar to what I see with the folks who are into the whole pirate and goth vampire thing. There are elements to each of those that can be sexy, attractive, mystical, spiritual, and evoke other emotions besides horror, which makes them popular. My only issue is I've always associated Halloween with fear, and having a sexy witch with a flowing outfit raises some responses but not fear. ;) When I think of a Halloween witch, I don't think of Samantha Stevens, I think of a wicked hag who is being punished for being evil... that's scary, but difficult to convey when someone just wants to put on a black dress and hat while making sure their make-up (blush and lipstick, not fake blood and appliances) is right before going out on Halloween. That's why I would like to see more witches who not only look the part but act the part... looking more rustic and haggard, moving like they're stooped and withered, and hands... why do even the women who go to the trouble to wear masks or apply witch make-up seem to always forget doing up their hands!!!

As for the zombies, even The Walking Dead folks are having to up their game because you can only see so many sunken eyes, exposed teeth, and cut flesh zombies before they get boring. I just hope they don't jump the shark by getting too ridiculous with them. I would like to see costume designers start making outfits with exposed "dead" areas that look more realistic and they need to develop better do-it-yourself appliance and make-up kits. Heck, there should be lots of innovations coming out of The Walking Dead mass zombie making machine to up the game on the retail markets. I'm surprised Greg Nicotero hasn't tried marketing that aspect of the show yet. :)

·
Harbinger of Autumn
1,820 Posts
Witches. I too am of the school that zombies have become the flavor of the day and just never appealed to me. I also believe that nothing about a witch has to be the stereotype of hag with pointy shoes and pointy hat. It can be any classic version to realistic version, it can really be done in a variety of ways

1 - 20 of 40 Posts