Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night my zombie swing girl's eyes quit lighting up. Has this happened to anyone else? How do I fix it? I pulled the head off, but all the wires are inside, there's nothing hanging out. I'm scared to take apart the head without knowing what I'm getting into. Has anybody fixed her eyes, or opened her head? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do not have this prop, but have had other props do this. There are 2 things I have done. One is cut the wires behind the eyes, and connect them to a 9volt or battery pack directly. The other is a quick fix, I just take one of those hockey puck lights or fake votive candles, and put it in the empty space in the head of the prop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the quick replies. I think I'm just gonna leave it the way it is for now. She looks creepy even without the eyes lighting up. My luck I'd break more things trying to fix it. It just kinda sucks paying so much for something only to have it partially break after 8 hours of use.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have owned two Zombie Swing Girls. The eyes on the first never worked, and the eyes on the second went quickly. Clearly this is an inherent defect in this prop. And yes, it makes a big difference. the light up eyes give it life at night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Zombie Swing girl worked well the first year, then the second year the eyes went out in mine as well. Haven't figured out how to fix it yet. :(

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Test the LEDs with a multimeter in DC test to see if they are getting voltage. Your prop has to be in the activated state to see if voltage is at the eyes. Press the switch together when activated. There may be a cam or something that rotates to hit that switch. It may be as simple as it just not hitting it when turning.

It's possible the company never put resistors on the LEDs and they burned out. If you do have voltage you replace them with your own with resistors to get the best posible output from them. If you know nothing about resistors you can get a pre wired LED that is close but not over its voltage. Ex. Would be a 6v at the eyes with a 5v prewired LED.

If all else fails you can use the above technique and just link it to the motor of the swing. Just follow the same steps. It may not do exactly what it did but it will light up.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I dont own this prop so I could be wrong. The switch doesn't have its circuit closed the blue wire(if detached) should be solder to the contact. That bottom solder blob could be where the green wire disconnected. Instead of fighting with that short wire just extend it but make sure it doesn't get caught up in the motor or working parts when putting it back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hello! Does anyone on this thread (or anyone, period) know how to get the base off the head of Zombie Swing Girl from Spirit Halloween? The head (on my version at least) is hard plastic. It's very similar to other detachable head props, with two plastic knobs at the base of the head. I would guess that the only way to get it off is to pry the base off in some fashion, but I don't want to chance damaging it as the rotation mechanism is up in the head. Help?
Thx,
Mike

·
Registered
727 Posts
I haven't torn off her wig, but even if there is a hatch under there (which I doubt) you certainly couldn't reach the screws that go down from the mechanism inside the head down onto the head base plate. All I can figure is that they wired up the eyes then popped the bottom plate up into the head, putting glue into the head first. I have never seen anything like this, where it just seems impossible to get into the head without cutting into it.

If I have to cut into it (and I may not have to as I have another ZSG with working eyes on the way) there does seem to be a possible way. You could use a dremel tool (or other saw) to cut into the bottom around the entire perimeter, just far enough in from the edge to miss the side walls. There is a stanchion or two that would make life difficult, and I can't tell (from the picture above) for certain what the purpose of the middle screw is. Either the whole action will drop out of the head once the bottom is holed out, or I would have to snap that one screw (without breaking the action). All to fix one wire so the eyes light up. Sigh...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hmmm...Looking again at the photos my plan wouldn't work. The motor and gear box up in the head are attached to both the base and the outer head (duh, of course). So it had to have just been shoved up into glue, and essentially unremovable. Perhaps I could dremel a line up the back of the neck and pull the hard plastic off to a degree...I have no idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts