Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
We've had a long history or putting Christmas lights on some of our props for the season. But, you have to keep other people's views in mind.

Last year, Fred had been up as a scarecrow all year long...

And, when the kids wanted to wrap him up in lights for Christmas, I had to stop and say a dead guy on a broken cross at Christmas might not read so much as 'scarecrow'.

So at least, we put his arms down...

So, while I like the display myself, no one should be shocked there were complaints. People take the season very seriously.

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
I think the set up is cool, but theres no way this guy set that up and figured that no one would complain. But as long as he is not breaking the law than he should be able to do whatever he wants on his own property, But i'm positive he did this soley for media attention. you know what they say bad publicity is still publicity.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
We either have a First Amendment right, or we don't. Are the neighbors, or even passerbys, going to dictate the perameters of that right? Once Pandora's Box is opened, that's it.
This display might be distasteful to some, and even offensive, but there are no laws or ordinances being broke. Just look away.
IMO (which nobody gives a rats @ss & 2 tootsie rolls about) we have become a nation of whiners and ninnys :mad:

·
Undertaker
3,270 Posts
I don't know Punkineater....If I had that much loathing for my neighbors or perhaps a chip on my shoulder thinking no one has a right to dictate to me what I can and cannot do, then I would prolly do that. But I like my neighbors, I respect my neighbors and I like living in my neighborhood which is relaxing and not filled with stressful conflict....

Some people live on stress and are constantly in battle with someone or some thing. Life's too short for that BS......

On the other hand....If my neighbor was a jack wagon....

I might have a propane fueled flaming pentagram on 24/7.....

OK, It wouldn't be propane fueled...prolly just LED.....

Naw....I prolly wouldn't do that either but it would be cool....

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
It's pretty funny, irreverent humor, reallly some people just take things far too seriously. Comediens and artists have been doing things like this for many years. I am with Punkineater, if you don't like it don't look at it!

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
I love my neighbors, and I too care about keeping the peace. But I'd bet if they could actually SEE
my Halloween setup(which is mostly not viewed from the front yard), several would think I should be
institutionalized and probably avoid me :eek: That would be the consequences of
exercising my right, but it's STILL my right.
There are SO many truly terrible things happening in people's lives
and throughout the world, we should be focusing on those issues and not on zombie manger scenes.
I'm just sayin', we need to stop getting our panties in a twist over every little thing.
I support the right of each and every one of us, whether it's my cup of tea or not, to free speech.
So I say to my Halloween family with a happy heart, Merry Christmas to all and a very Happy New Year! :D

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
We either have a First Amendment right, or we don't. Are the neighbors, or even passerbys, going to dictate the perameters of that right? Once Pandora's Box is opened, that's it.
This display might be distasteful to some, and even offensive, but there are no laws or ordinances being broke. Just look away.
IMO (which nobody gives a rats @ss & 2 tootsie rolls about) we have become a nation of whiners and ninnys :mad:
EXACTLY!

People don't have a civil right to not be offended. He, however, does habe the right to such a display on his property.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I don't know Punkineater....If I had that much loathing for my neighbors or perhaps a chip on my shoulder thinking no one has a right to dictate to me what I can and cannot do, then I would prolly do that. But I like my neighbors, I respect my neighbors and I like living in my neighborhood which is relaxing and not filled with stressful conflict....

Some people live on stress and are constantly in battle with someone or some thing. Life's too short for that BS......

On the other hand....If my neighbor was a jack wagon....

I might have a propane fueled flaming pentagram on 24/7.....

OK, It wouldn't be propane fueled...prolly just LED.....

Naw....I prolly wouldn't do that either but it would be cool....
And that's YOU. You have these rights.

This guy, on the other hand, should have the right to do as HE pleases as well.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I lean towards "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." When you are part of a community, I think bad taste trumps law. Where do you draw the line? At your Auschwitz E-Z Bake Oven display? Your July Fourth KKK lighted cross display? Your 9-11 flaming airplane mailbox?

I'm not religious- and the display doesn't offend me personally- but it is in poor taste. I'd not put that in my front yard out of common respect for others in the community. But if my friends and family appreciated the zombie theme - no problem with it up and out of public view.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
I lean towards "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." When you are part of a community, I think bad taste trumps law. Where do you draw the line? At your Auschwitz E-Z Bake Oven display? Your July Fourth KKK lighted cross display? Your 9-11 flaming airplane mailbox?

I'm not religious- and the display doesn't offend me personally- but it is in poor taste. I'd not put that in my front yard out of common respect for others in the community. But if my friends and family appreciated the zombie theme - no problem with it up and out of public view.
Yes, I agree with you to an extent, but when it infringes upon the First Amendment, that's where I draw the line. I kind of liken it to getting bent out of joint by a program on tv-If I don't like it, I turn the channel. I personally wouldn't put up a zombie manger scene either, but the guy IS within his rights.
The problem with erring on the side of bad taste, is that where DO you draw THAT line? What might offend me, might not offend you. I DO find many things offensive, but trying to make my opinion LAW is another matter. I am also not very political and find jackasses on both sides of the isle, but I do value the rights afforded to me by the Constitution.
If our rule of law was, say Communist or Sharia, there would be people knocking on our doors for even having THIS conversation.

·
Undertaker
3,270 Posts

What a great post.....

I agree with just about ever post on this thread, including Stanfam3's. I just would not do such a thing.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts