Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my second Ghoul/Zombie and need hands for him. I want to do better than the Rubber gloves I used on other guy as even after I dirtied them up, they still look like gloves..... Any suggestions where to get hands or what are you doing? I have a couple months yet..... before 10/31.
Link to U-tube video:Ghoul video here

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use a product like spray foam to fill some disposable gloves with extra long cuffs.
After it cures you can paint & sculpt them to whatever scary look you want.
Try the product SAX Foam from IHL, it comes in a straw format. The price worked for me and they ship all over

·
Registered
129 Posts
Use a product like spray foam to fill some disposable gloves with extra long cuffs.
After it cures you can paint & sculpt them to whatever scary look you want.
Try the product SAX Foam from IHL, it comes in a straw format. The price worked for me and they ship all over View attachment 717889
Make sure to spray the inside of the gloves with water to cure the spray foam otherwise it will expand too much.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks...
I saw videos on U-tube that show making hands..... but I am pretty good mechanically and not so good artistically! Might have to give it a try because the rubber zombie gloves on Amazon were a bit pricey.
Was hoping to find some full hands in a Halloween store but they are just getting going for season and I am in a smaller town....

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have never found a way to make hands that look good and doesn't take hours and hours of time. Depending on how you modify his clothes, could you have him wearing nasty work gloves with maybe a finger or two exposed (I've seen decent finger props for not much money).

Or, look for low cost fabric gardening gloves for women and plan on bulking them up with liquid latex and paper towels. Take glove, insert wires in each finger for poseability later, stuff with old trash bags or shopping bags (or foam), then form to the gesture you want. Latex and paper towel the whole thing, paint as needed.

BTW - I really like the defeated angle you have on the head, he looks resigned to his new life (or lack of life). Did you use a 22 degree joint there for his head or something else?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The easiest way I have found is buy enough molding clay to make a hand print. Try to aim for a deep depression. This will be your mold. Put saran wrap into the mold. I usually put more in a little bit more. Spray loc-tite foam into the mold. After ten minutes you can work with the top of the hand by molding the loc-tite. It turns into a marshmallow like material You can give it knuckles and lifelike details. It will fully cure in about 30min. Either try to seperate the saran wrap or use it to start a corpsing project.

You can also do this with 2 part ridged foam. I think it was .5oz each part. You will need to shave the back of the hand down or sand it unless you have a tight closed mold. That is a little bit more of a process.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - maybe that's my mistake... I used regular gardening gloves (my size = XL) on first zombie and then stuffed them with shopping bags which I found worked awesome for filling the gap between styrofoam heads and masks. Gives them almost a fleshy feel and is easy to do.
Why can't we just buy a proper sized foam head...? Extra small is all I could find....?
Anyway back to the hands....
When I stuffed the gloves they all looked puffy and swollen. Not scary and creepy.
Starting with smaller gloves may work... as long as the fingers are long enough to be proportionate?
I wonder if I was to wrap tape on the gloves after stuffing them with the shopping bags, would I be able to get rid of the puffy look?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The easiest way I have found is buy enough molding clay to make a hand print. Try to aim for a deep depression. This will be your mold. Put saran wrap into the mold. I usually put more in a little bit more. Spray loc-tite foam into the mold. After ten minutes you can work with the top of the hand by molding the loc-tite. It turns into a marshmallow like material You can give it knuckles and lifelike details. It will fully cure in about 30min. Either try to seperate the saran wrap or use it to start a corpsing project.

You can also do this with 2 part ridged foam. I think it was .5oz each part. You will need to shave the back of the hand down or sand it unless you have a tight closed mold. That is a little bit more of a process.
I may have to try this method.... thanks I appreciate the reply.
This is where that artistic lack of ability gets me into a big mess?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW - I really like the defeated angle you have on the head, he looks resigned to his new life (or lack of life). Did you use a 22 degree joint there for his head or something else?
No just a regular 45 degree and I have the wiper motor mounted slightly back of centre which means the spine only goes straight up and then leans forward. Never leans back as that looked weird to me... No people or Zombies bend their spine backward. I also ended up mounting the 45 under the X fitting because it puts the shoulders more forward and got the styrofoam head closer to shoulders. I tried it first with the 45 above the X but it had to long a neck for me. picture for detail...... I had pants fixed to his legs but have changed that now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anyone is interested I found the cheapest wiper motor on Amazon (at the time) was a GM one from a Tahoe etc.
The good part about this motor is it has an aluminum mount that fits perfect on 3/4" pipe or PVC.
It runs very quiet and smooth, low amp draw, high and low speeds. I just soldered wires direct as I didn't have the special plug. you can see the mounting in picture - simple and solid. two bolts.
Here is a picture showing the spine only going straight up in most rearward position.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to add that It was not feasible to get the wiper motors from Monster guts to Canada as with the exchange rate and shipping it was going to be $100. approx. I got these on Amazon for $50. and free shipping...

I did buy 3 used wiper motors from wrecking yard first but one was toast and one was noisy. The third was OK but all rusty.... not worth the bother unless you get them for free. I don't have any old junkers to pick from....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cannot help on the hands but I did want to say that you made a nice looking prop.
Thanks a lot Stick. I am having fun with this.... Details take time! Lots of time.
I got a lot of ideas from here and U-tube videos before getting started and wanted to share....
Hopefully help someone else out......

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I am going to place an order for these hands for my cemetery watchman. I will most likely have to re-paint them, but that is okay. From the reviews they sound like they are decent sized hands and they come in a pair of both a left and right hand which is a huge plus in and of itself. You can add some wire inside the hands so that you can bend the fingers. That is what I plan on doing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
No just a regular 45 degree and I have the wiper motor mounted slightly back of centre which means the spine only goes straight up and then leans forward. Never leans back as that looked weird to me... No people or Zombies bend their spine backward. I also ended up mounting the 45 under the X fitting because it puts the shoulders more forward and got the styrofoam head closer to shoulders. I tried it first with the 45 above the X but it had to long a neck for me. picture for detail...... I had pants fixed to his legs but have changed that now.
View attachment 717975
I may try this with my cemetery watchman. I want him to have hunched over shoulders and a slight hump on his back. I'll have to figure out how to make his head looking up. I kinda want him to look like this guy.

·
Registered
889 Posts
https://lauraerickson2001.wordpress.com/2014/11/01/dyi-posable-skeleton-hands-made-with-wire-tin-foil-and-masking-tape/comment-page-1/ links to a site where you can make yourself posable hands and wrists as long and as large as you need them. We like the look of corpse-like hands. But the nice thing about this approach is you can make the hands thicker if you like, you can make one part look like flesh and another part look like bone simply by the way you mold the tin foil.

If you get yourself a bottle of latex used for making cosmetic scars you can mix it with 50/50 mix of paint and it will look nearly identical to your mask. We got ours at https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Latex-Pint-Bottle-ST/dp/B005KSV3FS/ref=asc_df_B005KSV3FS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309760520871&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8190533736504995438&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1024479&hvtargid=pla-571007503148&psc=1.

We've painted with the latex/paint combo and it works really well in holding up to the elements. Don't worry about the mix looking wrong when you mix in the paint. When it dries, it returns back to the color of the paint with a slight sheen to it that looks very much like the latex masks do. Don't want to spend that much? We probably wouldn't. We'd buy a 99 cent bottle of acrylic paint that matches the flesh tones of the monster, maybe a darker brown stain for giving texture, and call it good. No one is going to notice come Halloween night unless they're right up on top of it in bright light.

You have a couple of months, making your own hands gives you not only a good looking set of paws, but posable ones as well. Most of what has been brought up aren't posable in any fashion.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I may try this with my cemetery watchman. I want him to have hunched over shoulders and a slight hump on his back. I'll have to figure out how to make his head looking up. I kinda want him to look like this guy.

View attachment 718304
Take a look at cauldron creeps. The Scooby-Do character you posed is even called The Creeper, so maybe it's an homage to the cauldron creep's look. :)

Many cauldron creeps have a hunchback sort of look just because of the way they're made.

Their heads are actually set below their shoulders. Which means if you made your watchman to the same specs (just with wider and bulkier shoulders) you could have his head bobbing up and down with very little effort. :)

And if you make your own hands, you can have him holding onto a lantern without it looking weird that his fingers aren't bent. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts