Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
-:- Hi-Rez Designs -:-
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built for our ZOMBIE-AREA for our 2011 Home Haunt this year.

Designed from "reference material" provided by Spencer Carter of 'Casa Fear' using all 'MONSTER GUTS' pneumatics, valves, prop controller, etc.

There are "flow control" valves on each cylinder to make the zombie movement not so violent as others have done. I want this prop to last longer than 1 season without breaking or needing repair. This also makes for a lot more "fluid" movement.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Wow, very lots of different moves it makes it look so realistic!

·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The flow control valves on the cylinders make a really big difference. There are 2 flow control valves on each of the 2 cylinders. That why you get 60 psi of force going up and down, but "regulated" so it doesn't "slam". The cylinders are small 3/4" bore with only 2" strokes.

After learning about flow control valves and their capabilities, I'm putting them onto all my pneumatic props this year.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Great Job

Flow controls are great because you can adjust the ports for each cylinder. This means the extend can be slower/faster then the decend on each shoulder. You can either put them on the cylinders or the solenoids. I put them on the solenoids because you can access them easier. I always use flow controls. Changing the routine is easier.

You can also program a routine via air with flow controls without another controller, or a higher input controller. You could run more cylinders without solenoids. You can "time" the air to slowly do what you want. It takes a little time but will save you money.

Example: Another cylinder attached to the base would lift the zombie off of the ground. You would Tee off solenoid #1 and have that input activated but the exhaust would slowly release air. You would have both arm movement and a slow lift given it time for the base cylinder to reach it's full extension.

You can also use in-line flow control valves that accept 1/4 to 1/4 hose to limit the need for only 2 flow control valves on a 5 way solenoid. You would tee off of the main compressor line. add 2 sections of 1/4 hose to it, then add the flow, more 1/4 hose to the solenoid. Then out to the double acting cylinder. Both will move at the same PSI setting. These are even easier because you don't have to thread them. Just attach 1/4 to one side and 1/4 to the other.

You can get extreme violent movement with a GB and not worry about it breaking if you build it correct.

·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm making another one that is a "skeletal-female" but it is going to have to be made differently because the "arms" are exposed so there is no place to "hide" the cylinders on the arms. Gonna try "concealing" them in the hip area.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,648 Posts
Compared to others that have been shown, the movement on this is much more convincing; not the violent jerking, but more the appearance of the zombie straining to get out. Very nicely done. what did you use for the head? mask?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts