Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
Found this on my street when I came home from work today.

Is this a sign of the Zombie apocalypse?
hahaha.. that's funny. Maybe it's an indication of what their Haunt theme will be?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With any luck, it means you've got some participation on your street!

It's only the middle of September, if you'll pardon the expression, that seems like a really good sign!
:cool:

It would be awesome is someone else was participating, but sadly its only me. I needed to see the sign set up to get the effect. I stopped traffic with it.
Mrs.wicked made me take it down for the fear of it getting damaged.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I made mine from plywood. I used a 2 x 2 for the post. If you want measurments let me know.
Yes please, I'd love that! Also, how did you make the images and wording?

I think its a great idea to have this out early to let the neighborhood know to watch out... buuuaaaahaahaahaa ;) :p

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hallowicked... I wanted to add that this is the best looking zombie sign I've seen. I checked some variations online... this tops them all. Thanks for sharing with us! U rock!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the details are pretty simple.
You will need some sort of projector for this project.
I searched google for the image. Search zombie crossing sign under images.
The font is called Corbel in Microsoft word typed in all caps

The sign dimension with the zombie graphic is 20 inches in each side.
the rectangle dimensions for the font is 22 inches wide and 4 inches tall.

If you have a projector that hooks up to a computer then you wont have to worry about this next step.

Trace the graphic onto some overhead projector sheets. I used a sharpie pen to trace all the graphics.

I only traced the zombie and the thick lines under him.
Center the zombie projection on your sign and trace. Repeat the same processes for the lettering. My letters are only about 3 inches high. You will need the space for the border.
Next I pre drilled and counter sunk holes in the sign the attached it to the 2 x 2 ( 8 foot length) Fill the holes with wood putty sit back and have a cold beverage because it has to dry. Sand it smooth when dry.
To make the painting processes easier outline the zombie and fonts in black. I suggest a regular fine point sharpie. Cheaper markers bleed onto the wood and causes a mess. Paint a thin coat of white paint over the sign parts only, tape off the pole if you don't have a steady hand. After that is dry re outline the graphics
with the sharpie.(ps you may want to buy a few sharpies)
The yellow is a custom color mixed by yours truly. I did my best to match a caution sign. I used bright yellow toll paint with a few drops of Christmas red mixed in
to darken it. Rather than trying to paint around the graphics just paint over them. Re draw any lines that start to disappear. PS I also paint all the edges.

I added the boarders after everything else was dry.
I then used varathane outdoor diamond wood finish clear satin. It protects the paint as well as gives the whole thing a uniform finish.

I still plan to age the pole with this technique "http://www.craftaholicsanonymous.net/how-to-age-wood-tutorial-guest-post-from-que-linda

Any questions just ask. Im usually here daily.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Awesome, thanks hallowicked! I do have a projector and ill try to look at seeing if I can do this next weekend! It looks so professional... I can't wait!

:D. Thanks again!
HarleyQuinn07

·
Registered
194 Posts
If anybody else makes this, feel free to post the pictures here. I would love to see what you all do.

I'm on the hunt to find someone to make this for me :D I NEED this sign! I want to post it outside ASAP to get people curious about what is to come! OMG, I can't wait!!! Top notch hallowicked! :cool:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok, thanks hallowicked! Recreating this sign is a must for me... then I might try a styrofoam Cemetary sign but only after this sign is done. I'm hoping to start looking for some progress on materials by next week. I was thinking of sticking it on a street telephone poll that is in front of my house... not sure if the cops can ticket me for that... I'll cross my fingers that if I make it, it won't get stolen.

Thanks again for posting your awesome sign!
HarleyQuinn07

1 - 20 of 28 Posts