Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of other ideas for a halloween theme and thought a cool one might be an old wild west town scene..
cowboy zombies maybe? undertakers? skeletons?

seems like it could be pretty cool, just not sure how 'scary' it would be.
not much room for gore i guess unless you do vultures picking at remains or gunslingers rotting corpses.

the zombie spin on cowboys could be pretty cool as well. rising from 'boot hill cemetary'.

The-Dead-and-the-Damned-poster.jpg

other ideas I thought of whihc may have already been discussed....

- zombie samurais/asian theme
- jungle/aztec/sacrifice/cannibal camp theme
- giant's home/stilt creatures/oversized items (complete with oven or stew pot for cooking people-pie)

·
I am the one who knocks
1,939 Posts
I believe that any good idea for a theme can become better by combining it with a zombie theme. An old west theme crossed with zombies could be great fun: lawmen hunting zombie outlaws, or the reverse; zombie saloon girls making a meal out of the men who didn't mind their manners; dead cowboys riding zombie/skeletal horses; a zombie staggering around in jail with the rotting guts of the fellow prisoner it ate; buzzards discovering that people parts are tastier than carrion; townspeople trapped in their homes with no technology or lawmen to save them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's tough doing a western theme. That's why I abandoned it. But I wish you luck. You're very talented, keithcorcoran.

Before I abandoned my own wild west theme, I was considering music from the Red Dead Redemption Soundtrack and the 3:10 to Yuma Soundtrack. (the last song on that one is is best in my opinion)

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Great idea! Did zombie terminators in 2010 and was a blast mixing the two. That picture you show already seems scary but if you are having trouble you can focus on the environment that adds the scares. I focused on a factory scene with machines of death sounds all around plus electrical haywire everywhere. Had a fuse box, actor with a cattle prod, sparks and an air cannon. Play acted with the kids telling them that the zombies are right behind them and to stay together and a soldier will help them on the other side. So, they had to go through another room completely psyched-out. The room had a zombie slammer. heh.

Another additional scare could be to have the Dusk til Dawn vampires in a Cantina. Kind of westerly and definitely scary!

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Keithcorcoran, I like your ideas a lot. That poster is great BTW! I think a posse of armed zombie guys coming through the mist (fog) would set the stage nicely, especially if they were coming to eat you. I like the western theme and recall loving the whole Wild Wild West or Westworld kind of movies. Throw in some steampunk fighting equipment. Contrasts like darkness with lit fog, "fire", hot coals, candles, torches, lanterns tossed in with tarantulas, snakes, rats, cores, vultures, mining pits, explosive TNT, a rapid fire machine maybe made with those electronic firecrackers. The characters could be scary, the scenes unsettling, and unexpected surprises that make you jump come either from props or actors. After seeing what you did with the clown theme, I think you could do some real justice to a scary western theme.

A jungle/skull theme has been on my drawing board for a few years so i'd love to see what you come up with if you go that route. I see the jungle route as being more nature based in its props and scares, whereas the western could encompass a lot more diverse elements.

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
Larry Kirchner who owns The Darkness, The Lemp Brewery Haunted House and Creepyworld in St Louis did a wild west haunted house for a few years . It was OK but not as good as his other two haunts at the time.

I bet if you searched you could still find a video or two of the wild west haunt and get some ideas from that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I noticed you had mentioned the jungle idea. One of my favorites, gives you so much to work with. First off cannibals! You can get gore galore with this. Then you can play with sacrifices, jungle gods, and not to mention animals! Snakes!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts