Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time I will be doing a couples thing. My girlfriend wants to dress up as Zombies. We're going to a Zombie Prom Costume Contest so our costumes have to be really good & I need help with this. I know plenty of you guys have dressed up as Zombies & have done a great job with the costumes & make up. I need help on doing the make up & whatever else that is needed to give us a crazy zombie look. I don't want to purchase Halloween store costumes. I like to throw my own stuff together. Where is some good online places to purchase make up, blood & prosthetics? Has to be good stuff that will stay on for long hours because we will be out all night. If any of you guys can please post of pics or anything that would help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
You could do a twist on the prom thing and use older style clothes like a 80s prom couple or even 60s or 70s prom couple , rather than more recent ? this might give you a little bit of an edge .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Really need ideas on doing our makeup. I've never used liquid latex but would like to give it a try. Any tips or tricks on doing the makeup would be really helpful.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
There,s some good tips and advice on the forum , if you cannot find what your looking for there then maybe open a post requesting help directly, again failing that there are quite a few ideas if you try you-tube , videos are always better than written details i think try searching youtube first and see if you can see anything there as well .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wowzie I don't at the moment. I know I want to be kind of gory looking. I'm also bald and want to find a way to attach strands of long hair on different spots on my head. Any ideas? Going to the thrift store now to look for clothes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am a makeup newbie myself and my son wants to be a zombie this year, so a few days ago I attempted my first "real" episode with latex. You can find lots of tutorials on how to do this but basically its a *thin* (stress that) layer of latex, covered with a bit of ripped up toilet paper. Keep layering until you have it as thick as you want and wait for it to dry. Then you can use a tooth pick or tweezers to pick at the "wound" then paint it up using blacks to create shadow and reds and browns to blend it all in. If your girl friend is good at makeup I am sure she will know how to do some of the blending tricks (I am a terrible girl, so all of this was alien to me) Here are a couple pictures of what I did for me son.
IMG_1023.jpg
IMG_1022.jpg

A couple of things I learned from this
1 - make sure you don't layer the latex too thick
2 - give it plenty of time to dry. If you try to start working it too early its going to be gummy and not paint well.
3 - Don't be afraid to really layer the makeup on. When you think its way too dark its really not.
4 - When it doubt with zombies, blood covers a lot of mistakes.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pbeck that looks great for your first attempt. I just back from the thrift store with a black tuxedo top & black slacks that I plan on distressing some how. Plan on wearing a white buttoned up shirt with blood on it. My girlfriend is going to wear a black dress. I found a couple of makeup pics that I like.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Okay, I'm not sure what happened, I responded to this post last night from my phone (twice actually, because the first time it didn't load) Anyway - here we go again.

There is a great post about how to distress clothes on this forum. Here is the link:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/137991-diy-costume-dirt-shmutz-goo-how-age-distress-your-halloween-wardrobe.html

I plan to use several of these tips when I am working on my sons clothes this weekend.

I wish I had a great original idea to add, but that link pretty much says it all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for the tips. How long does the liquid latex and tissue stay on? We plan on being out all night. Does it flex with your face? I have plenty of good face paint from Wolfe Brothers.

Can anyone recommend a good site to purchase Non RX Colored Contacts for less than $50 for the pair?

·
Registered
90 Posts
My son only has his on for a little while (like a hour?) but it seemed really sturdy and he was able to move his face just fine. He did say it felt a little funny and kept stretching his cheeks. It was still really on there when we went to take it off, so I imagine it would stay for a really long time. Maybe someone else can sound in on how long it lasts.

I have not been able to find contact without an RX, so if you find a place let me know.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I think a lot depends on the environment , i believe that a hot environment which can cause you to sweat could possibly be an issue , but you would be better of checking any data online of the make up product you intend to use or again try you-tube . I think to save yourself some time and maybe some wasted money , i would sit with your partner and try and figure out a made up storyline for your imaginary couple , like when they were around , the era and how they died the circumstances etc and the injuries , this way you would then know what clothes to get for your characters what kind of fake injuries your characters sustained in their death allowing you the opportunity to look up or refer to any specific injury tutorial of help on you-tube and this would then allow you to focus on certain materials and product specific to that area i.e. facial , broken arm etc saving you wasted time and money , and then you could plan and budget better , it could be a fun thing then when anyone asks you both at the party etc , you can also spin a cool made up storyline , its only an idea but from experience planning can save a lot of time and money in the long run .

P.S. Pbeck your sons make-up looked great for your first dabble in the fake injury world , he looked cool .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pbeck, I'll let you know what I find on the contacts.

Pacman, I'm in South Texas so it is very humid and hot down here. I'm wondering if the brand of latex makes any difference. Story line is a great idea, thanks. We pretty much have the outfits we're going to wear just have to make them look the part. She will be wearing a black dress & I'll be in a black suit. I'm bald & want to attach some long strands of hair on top of my head in certain places. Have any ideas how to do it?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Again i think you will have to use the make up method with your hair idea as well , i am sure that there are a variety of different types of latex products you could look at and research to see how they react under certain conditions like humidity etc , i would suggest you search the web first of all for Halloween fake wounds appliance etc when you have worked out what part of your bodies you need to use them on , and techniques for adding and making latex fake wounds , then once you have found some products start to check there application then it should guide you under the conditions it works best on once applied , also are you looking to do something with the hair kind of like uncle creepy from the comic with a kind of comb-over ? here, IMG_0994.jpg s a picture in case you cant remember what i mean - hell you could even add a few warts and stuff with your make - up . I wonder if you bought a cheap black wig one of those party ones and used some latex and glue etc i bet you could do the comb-over thing , but i recommend you start to get your story worked out first and then you can go from there with your materials etc , and i would practice and do some make up dry runs as well so you get it right on the night . With ageing and distressing clothes practice on other old clothes first , DON'T use the one you are wearing until you think you have the right method , even something like a couple of small tins of brown and Matt black spray paint can be used to add a dirty grubby look to clothes , just play around with it to see what results you can get , this is whet i used for my home made decapitated body which i get out and use every Halloween , here is a of pictures of it with spray paint distressing on his clothes and a little bright red paint for blood , even water down acrylic brown paint as well just added . It all depends how old and distressed you want your costume to be . DEAD BODY 1.jpg

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Keep us all updated and can you please post some photos either as you do your distressing or of the finished items , and especially of you both in the outfits , this site is for anyone interested in Halloween , horror and the whole general genre so we all love to see other peoples costumes props recipes etc etc and its all these ideas that makes this forum such a cool place , and we genuinely do want to see how it all comes out as well , if i find any other links i think may help i will let you know , but living in England you guys got all the best bloody stuff anyway do you will probably find it local ..... lol , i sincerely look forward to some photos and an update when you get time , it was a great idea for costumes and i am sure it will be a big hit on the night .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts