Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading the local news in Nashville i stumbled upon this video and article. This couple being forcued to remove the Zombie from the yard that's been there fir 5 years. The funnest line "The first sentence of the letter says, “During a recent inspection of the community on April 19, 2016, it was noted that there is a zombie in your yard that needs to be removed.”

http://wkrn.com/2016/04/25/hoa-orders-man-to-remove-zombie-statue-from-yard/

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A south Nashville man says it’s “ridiculous” that his homeowners association is ordering him to remove a statue of a zombie from his front yard.

Jim Grinstead has lived on Harbor Lights Drive for nearly 10 years and says the zombie he and his wife call “Clawed” has been in his yard for five of those years.

He was surprised when he recently received a letter from the homeowners association ordering him to get rid of the statue.
Jim Grinstead (Photo: WKRN)
Jim Grinstead (Photo: WKRN)

The first sentence of the letter says, “During a recent inspection of the community on April 19, 2016, it was noted that there is a zombie in your yard that needs to be removed.”

Grinstead says what’s even more surprising is that he recently spent $12,000 on new landscaping to improve the looks of his home yet the HOA chose to focus on a piece of yard art.

“I think the homeowner’s association needs to lighten up a little bit,” Grinstead said.

He added the statue is a reflection of his personality.

“We have a sense of humor and that is how we want the world to think of us. It’s how we think of ourselves. People will stop sometimes and take pictures of Clawed. Our friends get a kick out of it when they come over and we’ve never had a complaint about him,” explained Grinstead.
(Photo: WKRN)
(Photo: WKRN)

News 2 obtained a copy of the letter from the Bayview Homeowners’ Association which states:

The Covenants, Conditions & Restriction for Bayview state, ‘Section 6. Duty to Maintain Lot. From and after the date construction of a single family residence on a lot is begun, it shall be the duty of each lot owner to keep the grass on the lot properly cut, to keep the lot free from weeds and trash, and to keep it otherwise neat and attractive in appearance. Should any owner fail to do so, the declarant, or the association, may take such action as it deems appropriate, including mowing, in order to make the lot neat and attractive and the owner shall, immediately upon demand, reimburse declarant or the association for all expenses incurred in so doing, together with interest at the rate provided herein, and declarant or the association shall have a lien on that lot and the improvements thereon to secure the repayment of such amounts. Such lien may be enforced for foreclosure against that Lot and the improvements thereon, but such lien shall be subordinate to any mortgage or deed of trust thereon.”

The letter does not specifically mention yard art or statues. During a drive through the neighborhood, News 2 noticed yard art in other neighbors’ yards.

While the letter does not give Grinstead a deadline, he says he plans to remove Clawed this week.

“I’ll take my beating and go ahead and do it,” Grinstead said.

News 2 contacted the HOA and is waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I have never seen the advantage of living somewhere where total strangers may enforce their whims upon them as far as anything is concerned , such as other such news stories"Can't park a brand new truck in your own drive way, because it's a ":TRUCK"!
Can't fly the American Flag in front of your house! (Florida)
Maybe a person or family local to the subdivision are of the Zombie race (or religion?) and they take offense? (I hope so)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I take offense to that bunny statue in the neighbors yard...that has got to go!! Lol, it's so crazy to me what HOAs can require, but also in context of society at large, I think we've gone a little off the deep end in terms of if someone doesn't like or is offended by something I do/say/wear/etc that I have to change to accommodate them, like I have no rights myself....so crazy

·
Registered
13,612 Posts
Gee I was expecting a full-size standing zombie too so was actually shocked it was a ground breaker. And who here doesn't recognize Design Toscano's zombie guy!!! :D. It's also a piece that has been sold by HomeGoods. I love the name they gave him, "Clawed" (Claude). Very clever. When I first saw DT selling this guy I thought he was a clever piece and like the homeowner said gave people coming up to his house a chuckle and served as a conversation starter.

I wonder where he had it in his yard until recently that it didn't attract attention. Looks like they live in a nice neighborhood. If the HOA, of which all the homeowners belong, votes not to have statues in their front yard, well then all the garden statues should go, even the bunny ones they showed as being visible in someone else's yard. You see lots of angels and religious statues sold in garden centers so those would have to go too. You'd need to be fair to all.

We live in a HOA development. Our city was making them mandatory as they wanted the city to have parks but didn't want to pay for them so mandated any new housing to include parks and HOAs to pay for their keep. We really didn't want to live in one but wanted to live in a newer development so kind of went with the package. I personally wouldn't have a problem "banning" statues across the board in one's front yard visible from the street. Not that I find the zombie guy or the bunny objectible but more that something truly horrendous could go in. Art is so subjective, and some people do do things to their house and yard to kind of flip one to their neighbors they don't like. I wouldn't have a problem with a small ground statue being in someone's backyard I guess. Heck I'm more bothered by a HOA neighbor of ours that keeps their rotating circular laundry rack out year round, that and seeing clothing on it. Funny when I was growing up clothes dryers weren't that common and everyone had clothes lines strung among their trees with laundry hanging on it. Mom did take the lines down when not in use. Still today it's not something I want to be looking at through my windows or when I have company over and their stuff is flapping in the wind. I will add that our yards were much larger so you also had more of a buffer between neighbors which I think makes for a better neighborhood.

Now I never would have bought this years ago, but maybe getting older I find it kind of humorous to have like the guy in the news story, but I did buy a crouching black panther statue from DT to go in our backyard among our palm trees. I have a cement tiki statue and a small monkey one in our backyard palm beds as well. On a different take I recently picked up a Gator Skull and 2 T-Rex skulls that I'll pull out and use in my front yard come halloween time so I'm not really opposed to garden statues in general. I guess it's really all in the eyes of the beholder.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Better hope the HOAs don't get drones or they will be snooping all over your property. If it were me I would replace the zombie with an Elvis statue. See if they have the guts to ban a southern ( well worldwide actually) icon.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi TnHorroFan, I live in Franklin, TN and I am not surprised at all to hear that this happened at an HOA in the area. I bid on a home in an HOA last October and shortly after I realized that I was glad I turned down the homeowner's counter offer. The HOA had SO many rules, and I noticed that none of the houses in the association had creepy decorations. Everyone had cute pumpkins, autumn leaves swag, and cute inflatables. The HOA charter said all decorations must receive approval from the association. Can't imagine many of the haunt ideas that are popular on HalloweenForum getting approved in the Nashville area.

Just last year I remember watching on the news that someone was destroying Halloween decorations in East Nashville. Cutting the cords to inflatables, destroying plastic decorations, and flat out stealing items. This really isn't a good place to celebrate the holiday. Historic Franklin does a pretty nice job (last year had a mummy themed house, skeleton party house, and other homes with kitsch) but I haven't seen any really nice displays in Nashville--probably because people are concerned about their homes getting trashed and associations shutting them down. Jim Grinstead is just another victim of the anti-spooky movement in TN.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,396 Posts
HOA's suck. Period.

One of our requirements when we were house hunting 15 years ago was no houses where there was an HOA for the very reason that I wanted to do Halloween & Christmas. Or maybe we'd wanna paint the house like a Mondrian painting, or get rid of the lawn & fill it up with shells like at the beach.

It's my house with my name on the deed, I'm paying a crap-ton of money for my house & the taxes on it, don't tell me I can't fill my yard full of inflatables & blow molds at Halloween.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Personally, I'd fight them but that's just me.
I received a letter from the city a month ago that I needed to clean up the yard at my haunted house, strangely funny as you should have seen it before I bought it. Anyway, I called the city, as I couldn't see anything wrong, and they informed me that there was a wood pallet leaning against the fence that I own and is well within my property lines. That's it, nothing else.
I was going to screw it to the fence and paint 'this is art' on it but my brother-in-law moved it (he was trying to be helpful). This year I'm putting it back and screwing it to the fence. :)
So ya' I'd fight the HOA.
Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry LOL

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have entertained thoughts of moving somewhere warmer and drier for a few years now. I'd honestly never heard of HOA's. I can't honestly answer if there even is any in the whole metropolitan area I'm from. (Western NY) I don't know any one that lives in one. I can't fathom paying someone other than my mortgage holder and town building permits if needed, to tell me what I can and can't do. Isn't that why we buy and not rent? All's I can picture is a snooty group resembling the Harper Valley PTA LOL. I'm glad I got the heads up from people on here as to what they really are about but have noticed when searching properties in other areas they seem the norm. I think I'd rather chance living next to a pink house that forgot to bring their trash cans in on time Monday then deal with stuff like this. But to each his own. If it was me, the bunnies and fountains better disappear as well. Maybe one of those neighbors was a little jealous of his new landscaping.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
I would totally fight them too..it's the only way to get things changed back from the 'twilight zone'. When did everybody get so damned sensitive about every freakin little thing!!! I guess only the offended have rights anymore:p

Grey Lady, you go girl!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,396 Posts
Sadly I bet his new landscaping is what made them notice Clawed.

What's funny is when I first heard this story I hadn't seen the zombie but my brain went right to this one from Toscano.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It is like that you cannot park a boat or a van in your driveway. I cannot live in a neighborhood that is being run by the HOA. I remember 5 yrs ago in Illinois a guy still had his Christmas decorations displayed in his front yard in February and his neighbors were complaining about that.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,670 Posts
I like my HOA because I have lived in areas that had none and the property values were screwed over by a few horribly messed up properties. Old broken down cars, trash and weed-infested yards, peeling paint and rotting wood on the house. Just terrible to look at and depressing to live next to as well.

I get some HOAs take things too far, but they are can be a good thing in most places without overstepping themselves.

In the case of the homeowner with the zombie decoration, I think if they knew they had an HOA when they bought the house, then they knew that it was a possible that they'd get called out for having holiday decor displayed out of season. It's the same as leaving up strands of x-mas lights all year. The fact that I (or any other lover of Halloween stuff) wouldn't personally have an issue with the decor doesn't play into it; they were leaving out seasonal decor waaaay past the season, and if that was out of the time frame allowed by the HOA, then they should abide by their neighborhood covenant to maintain reasonable standards for the good of the neighborhood.

If you want to have total control of your own property, then definitely get a place where there are no HOAs, but be aware that means your neighbors may also decorate or trash their property in a style you may not appreciate, and there's not a darned thing anyone can do about it unless it is illegal.

Just my 2¢ anyway. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts