Halloween Forum banner

Zombie Apocalypse Shelter 2014

10K views 35 replies 5 participants last post by  melissa 
#1 ·
I'm sure there are other zombie-themed party topics (& I'll read them), but I don't want to encroach on someone else's thread,so here is mine.

Our parties (on the rare occasion we have them) are always small. We don't usually have strong themes, but I have wanted to have one. I'm still working on one theme, which we're going to save for next time. This year, it's all about zombies!

Invites
I like to do a pre-invite or save-the-date. (We invite so few people that I really want to make sure we get on their calendars!) Hub is printing (3D) several small coffins. I'm ordering rectangular boxes to mail them in. The coffins will be empty except a note with the date and something about hell being full and that they're invited to hide in our shelter, more details to follow, etc.

I'm still working on the actual invitation - we have more time on that! I have a zombie playlist, so I may send a CD with it, for inspiration, or save it for the favor bag.

Activities
One of the reasons we have small parties is became we do movies (we have a ceiling-mounted projector & big screen, but not a lot of seating), so ere will be at least one movie.

Photo-op: set up camera in front of a green screen, then hub can put each person into a scene, depending on if they come as a zombie or survivor.

Target practice: if we can create standing targets, I want to get a couple of paintball guns and a few colors of paint, then have folks try to take out zombies from the porch or yard.

Decor
I've seen some great faux boarded-up windows that I want to try. Maybe the fireplace, too. Definitely a lot of candle (real & LED) and lantern light. Definitely have to research & think more onon this. First priority is getting the house cleaned & organized!

Favors
One of my favorite parts! CD, if I don't send as part of the invitation. Cool package. I have open foil pouches bookmarked to make fake MREs (seal with iron). I'll probably do other apocalyptic survival things that have practical uses but can be labeled to go with the theme. I make candles, so I may do a special batch with a fun label.

Food
TBD.

See less See more
#3 ·
The first few coffins for the pre-invites are done. They're 3" long, 1.5" wide & 1" tall.

I'm getting these boxes for mailing them (a little too big, but I have to think about the label and stamps*), which I'll cushion with moss or excelsior or something. Inside each coffin will be a "blood"-stained note with a teaser & the date, promising more details. I want to do something to the box to make them go with the theme, but also get them delivered (I used skull & crossbones tape once and the box took forever to arrive.). I have "spinal cord" tape which I may use, but I was thinking about getting some red ink or paint and just smudging the edges, too.

Any suggestions about keeping the coffin & lid together? I may resort to a little glue dot or something.

Because I'll have 50 of these boxes and won't need many (small guest list), I'm trying to think of at least one other use for them for the party. (I'll still have some left over.) I want to get the chocolate ammo set and make a bunch of those & add a fun label.

I think other favors will be based on the "emergency supply" concept: fake MRE pouches** with some candy (I'm leaning towards the peas & carrots mix, but does anyone like that?), candles (I may just do them all unscented, but splatter the tops with red wax), etc. I honestly think the hardest part will be reining in my enthusiasm and not spending a crap-ton of money on these.

How could I resist the red-eyed "zombie bunnies" salt & pepper shakers we found at a thrift store yesterday? I need to give them a good scrubbing, but these will be on the table:

*Trying to decide if I want to use the stamps I've been collecting: Sleepy Hollow, Washington Irving, movie monsters & bats. Part of me wants to at least save the first two in case I do a Sleepy Hollow-themed party (on the list!).

**I made myself order the cheaper bags that had a clear side. The actual heat-seal bags were roughly 10x the price (per unit). I need to not worry too much about authenticity for party favors!

#4 ·
We did this theme last year, so much fun!!!!
http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-and-recipes/125434-zombies.html?highlight=

Some of the things we did...
Invites, I recreated the front page of our local newspaper
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6qwk6w&s=5 with stories of local attacks and the threat of the mayor in cancelling Halloween due to a town wide curfew

For decor, we did the boarded windows (everyone loved those. We used cutouts of zombie target practice posters on the windows too...they looked great. Knowing some people would have fake blood on their costumes I decided to save my furniture with some white sheets but decided one needed to look like the suicide scene from WD so I fashioned some blood clings for the walls and a blood splatter. We made a zombie and a victim and tons of candles. I tried to have it look like an abandoned house but my OCD would not permit me to have it look messy lol

I really wanted the buffet table to be filled with dented dirty cans along with food that appeared to be from the cellar (chili served in mason jars)...but I eventually just ran out of steam....
I'll post a few pics...

Btw, love all your ideas...and especially love your coffins, they look awesome :) Below (in my signature) is my pinterest link, feel free to take a peek...I have a zombie board and a zombie food board

#6 ·
pumpkinpie: that is so cool!! I will check out your Pinterest board (I'll add a link to mine in my sig, but it's all Halloweenie stuff merged together). Thanks for sharing the pictures. I love it! I really want to do the boarded-up windows. I just hope that we can get stuff together. The place is a bit of a mess after surgery (me) & bad back (hub). Been a crazy, messy few months.

#7 ·
Thanks :) They r super easy...I did our whole party for only $50...and that included the costumes. If u need any help or need how tos just give me a shout...oh and if your interested in the zombie target posters let me know and I'll send u a link....they are like .75 each....cheap

Definetely, can't wait to check your board out :)

#8 ·
The candles for the favor packages are all done! I did about 2/3 in vanilla and the rest unscented. Each has a "blood spatter" of red wax across the top, a bio-hazard label (with "aim for the head" as part of the directions), a bio-hazard matchbook & a label on the bottom for the scent. (I'll have to also label the favor package itself, as that will be the only variation.)

Sorry the images are so large. I need to learn how to display them smaller!!

#9 ·
Looking for some input/feedback/suggestions for our invitations. We decided to go with a biohazard "sub-theme" (see candle and match labels), so now I think I have an excuse to use the test tube favors sets I've been hoarding. (I was saving them for a mad scientist theme but don't know when that might take place, if ever.)

I was thinking that I could put something on the specimin label about immunization or something, then roll up the invitation and pop it inside.

To mail, i could either get some short mailing tubes, a different-size box (won't fit in the pre-invite box) or also send the CD and a copy of a "prepare yourself for the zombie apocalypse" poster.

Ideas? Thoughts?

#11 ·
Green Glass Toy Paperweight Emerald

Loving the candles and the inserts!!!! If u do a lab area you could have your test tubes, have a microscope, some zombie info charts, brain scans...that sort of thing and these (I'm dying to use them)...it's jello and nerds candy

Also check out my fallout shelter board, some things might go with the zombie stuff

#13 ·
pumpkin pie: I saw petri dishes (& biohazard bags) on Amazon & am considering expanding the theme!! I'll check out the board - I think I need to split the zombie topic off my main Halloween board, I'm getting so many ideas.

Sublime Nightmare: fun! I'll add that to the list. I need prizes, too...

Edited to fix auto correct of petite to petri

#14 ·
I still need to run this by hubs, but our "pre-invite"/STD will be something like this, folded up inside the coffin:

I don't know if I'll remove the background of this and try to print on parchment, or just print in full color. I will do something to the edges, maybe a wet tear deckle so it doesn't look too clean.

Hubs is also planning to do a kind of monogrammed initial of our last name to affix to the coffin lids.

What do you think? Any suggestions? Since the coffin won't be empty - it will have the note - should it say "has no occupant" or something like that, or am I being too literal?

ETA, or I could put the note in the box, not in the coffin...

#24 ·
Thanks!! It's available for less now, but I paid so much for it when I got it, AND it sucks (sticks to nothing) that I just want to use it up! I agree, though, that it's not really needed. (It needs to be taped, but clear is fine.)

I will have to post pics of the finished product later. They turned out so great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.