Here are my first attempts at tombstones. I think they turned out pretty well. I tried a different painting, and carving technique on each one. The washing method on the Frankenstein tombstone is the Terra method. Love her tombstones. Thanks Terra. The paint job on Medusa is Uruk-Hai's method. I love the look of his tombstones aswell. I also used his method for making the cracks. Thanks Uruk-Hai. The Ripper tombstone was my first, its a mix of different techniques. I think I went overboard on the cracks. The pedestal I picked up from lowes on clearance for $15 in the garden section. So I couldnt pass that up. I repainted it(it was yellowish green, and orange) and will mount the dracula bust from michaels on top. I just havent bought it yet.
I like the look of them, and plan on at least one or two more before Halloween(hopefully). One quick question though. Does anyone spray their tombstones with some kind of sealer? If they get rained on, wont all the water based paint run?
Very nice. I really like them just the way they turned out. The cracks and surfacing of the tombstones is awesome. The typefaces chosen work really well too. Regarding the coloring, could you tell us what brand and paint colors names you used on each? Thanks.
Wow thanks guys. All the kind words mean a lot coming from this great community.
Ghost of Spookie - I just used what I had lying around except for the yellowish color on the Ripper tombstone. I picked up a small sample of that at lowes. It was Valspar, But I dont remember the name of the color, sorry. I used some of it in the Frankenstein color mix. The black is Behr flat black (mickey mouse ears black) from home depot, and just some white Zinsser primer. Both left over from another project. I just mix them together to get the greys I want. I use the flat black for the lettering and wash.
Mr Grimsley - I used the wood burner tip shown here. But you really could use any tip you want. I chose that one so the areas I melted were wider and a little flatter. Just randomly melt the foam, cover with a grey base coat, and then dry brush with a light grey. The dry brush or light sponge is what really makes the chipped look stand out.
Thanks again guys. Its all your great projects that inspire me.
Excellent! In fact, I am so inspired that I may attempt to make my own tombstones next year. I tried a couple of years ago but let's just say that they did not come out even remotely like yours or the others I've seen on this board!
Great job - I say make more!
Yes I will definitely post pics of my setup when its set-up.
Toymaker - I have tried many different methods for carving. As always I start by printing out my epitaphs with the desired size, and font. For the ripper tombstone. I put 2" masking tape on the foam, covering the lettering area. I then taped the print out on top of that. I then cut the letters out with an exacto knife, and pulled the masking tape off each letter I cut out. Its very tedious, but for this method its a must. After that you just use the old spray paint melting method. It eats away the lettering where you cut the masking tape away. I also tried tracing the print out with a pen or pencil to transfer the lines to the foam. But I had a hard time seeing them without having to trace over them again with pen. Another method is just using your burner to trace on top of the print out, and slightly melt the foam below. If you are looking for sharp lettering. I suggest the masking tape and exacto knife method. When you router, or even melt the lettering away. It will usually stop at where the cut lines are. You still have to be careful. But it does help.
Thanks again for all the kind words everybody! On a side note I finished my fence today. I will post pics later.
Those are amazing stones! The whole thing looks jaw-dropping: the design, carving, paint, epitaphs. I am just stunned at the quality of these. I can't wait to see them in your cemetery too. I like Uruk-Hai's method a lot too.
Edited to add: I didn't seal my stones after painting effects. My painting effects were using watered down exterior latex paint and some artists' acrylic. They still look great and no run off, so you should be good to go.
WOW! Super awesome! I wish my first attempts had turned out as great. Thanks for the kind words regarding my painting style - I sort of hit on what worked and haven't changed. I'd like to try diff. techniques as you have to give the cemetery some variety. I really want to try and emulate Terra's excellent work. Again, great job. Really looking forward to seeing them all set up.