Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out that my outdoor storage area was infiltrated by racoons.

All tombstones and all columns are destroyed. Those critters used the foam as nesting material and shred everything to bits :(

On the one hand, it's not too bad as I can do things a little differently, on the other had I don't really have the time of $ to redo that much. I'm going to try to avoid styrofoam going forward.

Has anyone had luck with making wooden tombstones?

I'm also thinking of replacing the columns with a facade, either old gothic castle look or haunted house. Again, has anyone built or seen something like that.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,766 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost your stones and columns. I lost three to wind damage and thought of it as a chance for something new to do. 3 is a far cry from what you are experiencing but hopefully it will lead to bigger and better.
I remember Iowaguy making comments about doing wood tombstones. I'm not sure how he faired.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
I have simple plywood tombstones but I have been thinking about making some thicker ones from 2 X 12 lumber and using a router to engrave the epitaphs. I have some old thick plexiglass to make an extended base for the router. I would then give them a skim coat of bondo to hide the wood grain. Sorry to hear about the damage. It sucks when something like that happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For future reference, I use REALLY strong hot sauce to keep them out of my garbage. But you did need to re apply it every few days or after it rains. Doesn't work as well in snow either. But I make a perimeter with it and they don't cross it. It has to be super strong stuff. The smell burns their sensitive noses. If all else fails...I get out the shot gun...LOL. Or let my hound have at em.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm sorry they got into your tombstones :( I used to think they were cute, till one attacked my outside cat and took a bite out of his leg. Now I'm thinking about getting a hound dog.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Wood stones were the first ones I ever made. They looked OK and it also taught me how to use paint properly to show depth with them. Raccoon does taste like chicken if you soak it in milk. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
600 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry about your tombstones and columns getting wrecked, critters are a pain! We just had a raccoon eat my daughters paper mache project she was working on, so annoying! Years ago we had a rat issue in our garage and they ate through all my lights. Now I have five feral cats so no rat problem anymore!! (still have raccoons, skunks, and a possum though)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts