Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The building I work in is under construction and all of this is going into a dumpster! I asked about it and the foreman said "If we started letting people have stuff from dumpsters, we'd be overrun and someone would get hurt." AAACK! So many things I could make!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
How thick is the foam? Don't give up so easily. Explain to him that you have a good purpose for it. It's not in the dumpster yet but maybe if it can be picked up from the trailer he'd reconsider. Can you arrange to have someone with a truck come and load it up? Plead your case and see if he changes his mind.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jdubbya: I thought the same thing. I even explained that it's for a "public art project" and that I wouldn't publicize where I got it. Later I offered TO publicize where I got it and give the company a nod for its "donation." He harumphed at me. Apparently too busy to be bothered. *sigh*

·
Registered
393 Posts
Holy crap! Wow! I get what he's saying BUT he could have offered to let you have a few pieces. I don't think I'd bug him again about it either since he already seems pretty cranky about it. What a shame though to waste all that material.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Jdubbya: I thought the same thing. I even explained that it's for a "public art project" and that I wouldn't publicize where I got it. Later I offered TO publicize where I got it and give the company a nod for its "donation." He harumphed at me. Apparently too busy to be bothered. *sigh*
Sounds like he's just being a jerk. I'm relatively conservative but in this instance, I'd go back after hours or have a couple other people go back after everyone is gone and get the stuff, providing the dumpster is accessible. You can always deny knowledge of it. It's extremely wasteful and there is no good reason he can offer for not letting you have it (unless he or one of his buddies wants it!)

·
Registered
380 Posts
So they'd rather pay to dispose of it than let someone have it. Does not make good business sense in my opinion. That will not be cheap to throw away based on volume not weight. Not to mention helping the environment by keeping that from the landfill. Where is the dumpster? as indicated earlier I'd go back afterhours and see if it was there...

·
Registered
183 Posts
We have a few ReStore (habitat for humanity) locations near me and one of them has a good bit of these sheets for sale and $5 or $8 a sheet, I can't remember. But people (and businesses) get write offs for donating this sort of thing, maybe that's what they are doing. Though I honestly don't see the issue if you just wanted a few sheets.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It doesn't take much money to grease the wheels of industry. Offer the lower level guy that works for this jerk a 10 spot for his lunch if you can have a few sheets. You save that guy from dealing with this, and he gets a hot dog or two and a Slurpee for free. I've used this strategy when throwing questionable Halloween things in the trash and meeting the trash truck. They usually say stuff like "this is construction refuse, and we I can't take this". A ten usually is all that's needed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts