Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom, who is 88, lives in a retirement apartment complex. Most of the residents are in their 70's and 80's. I stopped in for a visit today and was so happy to see the fun they'd all been having decorating their doors and hall! BTW, the castle painting outside the last door was done by the lady that lives there.

Attachments

F

·
0 Posts
How awesome!! My grandmother had just had knee surgery last Halloween and was in a rehabilitation type place. They had trick or treating there, and you could take the kids to the different rooms and the old folks there would pass out candy, and it was all decorated. I thought it was nice.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My Grandmother was my audience almost every week as I would visit her and tell her some of the funny things that were happening in my Haunted House. She dressed up for the Halloween parade until she was very elderly and couldn't trust her vision as much.
One time she seemed depressed, said she was not going to dress up for the parade, then at the last second changed her mind and surprised the rest of us in a scary costume as she coated her face with a mix of flour, water ,salt?
She looked like one of those "Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things" people. Totally unidentifiable.
As she began to fail I was then building my tower here . I was given an old windmill tower (steel framework) and I had half of it up and done, and thought "That's high enough'.. Then I envisioned myself as her age, sitting in a wheelchair asking myself.. "Why? Why didn't I build the tower to it's full potential height when I could have?"
I kept on building it.
to top it off I had to stand on the last rung of a fully-extended 40 foot extension ladder , reaching as high as I could on" tippy-toes" (which you are Never supposed to do) to place the steel-welded skull on the point for a rain cap.. (I have done much work from ladders , but this was scary!)
I look at the tower and thank my Grandmother and her love of costume and Halloween for inspiring me to actually finish this tower the way that it always should have been. (It is covered with 3/4" plywood bolted to the steel framework, then shingled.)
My Grandmother spent much of her time driving to our local Nursing Home to volunteer her time and help doing for others even though many of them were younger and sometimes much younger than herself.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It's true, you're never too old for Halloween. I'm 54 and we hold a Halloween party every year and I'm one of the youngest people there.

Gym, if you think standing on your tiptoes at the top of a 40ft ladder is scary try climbing a 50' antenna mast in the middle of an Illinois thunderstorm. I know, stupid, but you're only 19 once and when you're that young you don't have the mindset that you shouldn't do something just because it's dangerous. I mean what are the odds that the tallest metal object for half a mile in the middle of a corn field would get hit by lightning? It didn't after all, so what's the big deal?.:eek:

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Old enough to know better, but young enough not to care... It's all good when it comes to Halloween.:D:D:D

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's a sad day when one grows "too old for Halloween." This statement carries with it the message that we are too old for child-like wonder and the joys of the season; We are too old to understand the joy on the faces of children as they go out in search of candy; and We are too old to believe in magic and the things that we cannot see with our eyes or touch with our hands. To be "too old for Halloween" is to say that we are too old for the things that make life more than a mere existence and Halloween more than just another mark on the calendar.
I'm glad to see that these folks are not too old, and I hope they (nor any of us) ever get to that point when we are. :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
Aw. I have great memories of both of my Grandmothers at Halloween. Dad's Mom, Gram, always loved to see what we were doing, me in costume, handed out fun size Snickers bars, and she had a great stash of old Halloween stuff including scrapbooked partyware from the 1930s. Mom's Mom, my Grandma, has been with us as part of our haunt, last year as our fortune teller! She was great, and she loved it. Unfortunately she's died of cancer recently, and Gram has been gone for a couple of years. Much as it makes my eyes watery *sniff*, I love stories of Grandparents and older people celebrating Halloween along with the rest of us.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I love the creativeness of Halloween, it is so open-ended. Very inspiring! So Much Fun! and then why should it only be one night of the entire year?????
This is why I opened my own haunt and have been open now pretty much every night for these last 26 years.
Yes, I am addicted to doing this, this strange fun.
A few times I actually began to think that I had probably "seen it all", as far as people's reactions and the things they say here, but nooo!
when dealing with people, you will never will have ever seen or heard it all.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Go back and take another look at the pics keeping this thought in mind:

Their Halloween fun started when someone in the commons called out "Let's raid the dollar store!"

:D

·
Registered
896 Posts
I love this too. It would be great if all retirement homes could encourage residents to get into halloween, christmas, or whatever holiday decorating, as it's fun and gives them an activity they can share and enjoy. Then they could have something to show visitors, either family or kids coming to TOT.
Thanks for the photos, we really enjoyed them!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
Go back and take another look at the pics keeping this thought in mind:

Their Halloween fun started when someone in the commons called out "Let's raid the dollar store!"

:D
That's exactly what I was thinking! Most of that stuff (except the Beistle skelly & the painting) are from the dollar stores!!

Those folks also remember a less PC time when you could give kids popcorn, apples, ToT on Oct. 31 not some pre-arranged safe date, ToT in the dark WITHOUT parents tagging along, scary costumes on toddlers, scary costumes on grown-ups, all that stuff that a lot of us never knew or will know. Maybe they're just trying to get back to that time. I don't blame them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts