Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I think you're in for one very long day my friend. :) I do hope you've lined up some help. If any are animated, be sure to check them out ahead of time. Also be sure to take pictures as I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I always have to remind my little helpers that Dad still has to go out to the car each day, get in the car each day, go to work each day, not get clotheslined by drooping spider webs each day, not trip over extension cords each day, etc. :) They always seem to forget these things every year. They get an A for effort, but sometimes that effort makes it hard to get in and out of the house and car.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
I don't set up until Halloween day and would suggest doing a trial run if you can for placement and for any cords and lighting you will be using. Definitely want to test the lighting to make sure it works. If you are depending on sensors to activate your props, test these with your placement as well. If they need a light beam to be broken and that doesn't happen, you'll be disappointed. Test everything out as it gets darker. Takes photos in the daylight and at night. If you can set up on Friday (with Halloween on Saturday), you could mark your driveway with chalk for positioning for a quicker reset the next day (already knowing where everything should be positioned, and hopefully you can take it down and store easily in your garage until Saturday.

We're doing a mad lab this year and I'm hoping to start temporarily staging the larger items on our porch and courtyard to see what will fit and where. Right now I'm not sure I can fit in the two John Doe lab tables the way I'm hoping and still allow enough walkway for the kids. In your case you might find that you'd be better off with fewer props out or staged differently.

Hope you'll come back and post a photo from your big night. I've seen some very well done driveway set ups here on HF over the years. Wish I could remember who did one in the SF East Bay so I could link to their photos for you. A search for "driveway haunt" will turn up photos and tips.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
Life sized & animated or static? If they're animated make sure you've got enough cords & outlets or batteries.

You could cut it in half & make your work easier & no one would know or probably care but you.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Like others have said, you'll likely be exhausted and nerves will be fried by evening's end.

I went through this 4 yrs ago when I did my first haunt and it was outside. I did a dry run and placed cords, etc everywhere that was needed. Then the day of dragged everything back out. While I knew where everything was supposed to go, it was still exhausting and I still ran out of time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm another one of these guys, I don't have a lot of props, but I do have a lot of driveway (I'd say 50-60% of my front yard area is driveway). I crypt-ify the garage door and taking that on/off nightly can be a pain - not to mention I've already had to repair it due to wind damage.

I also really think the idea of something popping up on mischief night and Halloween proper is really cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts