Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
what is your plans for next year.

Im going to have a zombie set up. Im making a prop that kid of leans over and im going to have a it holding a pitchfork that leans into a dummy and it looks like he is stabbing him. Also im building fake guts and im going to put theme on the end of the pitchfork.:D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well.. plan right now is.. return my Chauvet 1250, get my money back for that.. since its no better than a 700watt fogger would be for me and I could get those for 1/3 the price if not cheaper.

Otherwise the only thing I may try for next year is an animated prop of a half body where the arms move as if they are dragging the body forward.. but not sure anymore.. every year we get less TOT'ers and it's so time consuming.. until we get a house with a good front yard to put up a good haunt.. I don't know that I am going to do too mcuh other than the cobwebs, hang out a few of the props I got and use the smaller fogger with the chiller.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I am gonna start now,

Definitely want animatronics. Doc and Captain Jack inspired me.

Gonna re engineer my flying ghoulies. May even set up an expanded version that will cross the street to my neighbors house. He has some tall palm trees, so I can keep the flight high enough to keep any wayward trucks from taking it out.

Perhaps some pneumatics. Definitely more fog effects. A maybe just maybe a fire breathing something.

One obstacle I have is the wife. She loves tons of lights. I need to get her to understand that too much light kills some effects.

Still we got quite a few. Your house is the best type comments. But to be honest, some of you make my house look like a poorly lit jack 'o' lantern in comparison.

Spinman

·
Registered
312 Posts
The top additions for me will be a character (not sure if it will be a skeleton or some other dead pianist) playing a pipe organ and Frankenstein's bride. I have a great spot for the pipe organ right in the front corner facing everyone who would walk by ( I live on a corner ) and the Bride of Frankenstein can go right next to her 'hubby'.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think I am going to work on a more traditional haunt for next year. This year's theme/costume was fun but no one got it, so next year I will probably revisit the Moon Bog theme I was going to use two years ago if I did not have to attend night class. It will be a good theme to build on year after year and it will tie in with my neighbor's recurring display.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
next year im taking my haunt to a more gory level. My parents hate blood and gore but i convinced my dad to let me put guts in the haunt. Like i said before when the skeleton stabs the other dummy im going to make it so you can see guts in his belly. Also my neighbor and i are going to make one contineouse scene across our roofs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
2009 will be my first year for going all out. No more kiddies displays it's time to scare the he** out of the TOT-ers. Rotting corpse, ghost, zombie, spiders, yeah it's going to be good (I hope) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
2007 was our first year really putting some thought and effort into the process. We made 2 or 3 t'stones and set those out, and put out a crudely constructed fence (that we literally made a day or two beforehand), a 400W fogger, and some lights.

In 2008, we were in a new house, with a much larger front yard, so we just started over. I picked up 3 commercial stones (mainly for the skelly they were with), and made 8 more. Added a Bucky, two bluckies, and constructed some random scary guys, bags o' bones, lights, fog, etc.

Which brings us to 2009. I just picked up two more 400W foggers (which aren't super strong, but when they're $10, it's hard to argue), 2 strobes, another blucky, and a set of skull string lights. As for props, I may pick up another Bucky, make some more elaborate stones and scary guys, and I'd like to add a FCG. Oh, and I also have to finish the columns I started in July but didn't get to finish.

My biggest project, I think, is going to be trying to figure out some sort of control system for lights, fog and music. I could set three timers on the foggers, but then that's three independent machines that I need to go set individually. I'd like to have one central "command center" that I can sit behind and run everything. Have to see how that pans out.

EDIT: Oh, and I was thinking of constructing a giant yard swing type thing out of PVC shaped into bones, with the two Buckies sitting on the swing. Sort of like a large scale version of this:

bsskeletonswingsetcp0.jpg

·
The Grated Pumpkin
1,426 Posts
Next year, back to the more interactive, scarier haunt. After two years of presenting a large, front lawn affair, and getting a mile of requests for the 'big backyard spookhouse' I used to do, I'm rolling it back out. I'm also considering operating the bigger effects manually, from a central location, sans pnuematics and motors... a noble though that will require some designing and effort, but it seems worthwhile at the moment. Maybe Jim Henson's ghost is visiting my mind...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Going to do some singing pumpkins outside our haunt next year. Got some great foam ones at Target Saturday! Now to get a Grinch controller and start learning to solder.

We did an execution scene with a vibrating observation platform that went very well this year. Visitors stood on a 6" platform and watched the prisoner in the electric chair through the window in a 'stone' wall get fried. A motor mounted to the platform shook them to the bone as "Ol' Sparky" did it's work.

Next year we are going to put a sheet of Plexiglas on the opening of the wall. The visitors will observe a grimy delivery room. Once the baby is delivered it will be thrown against the Plexiglas as the lights go out. Might use a "It's Alive!" puppet in an alternating scene where the baby attacks the Doctor as the lights go out. :eek:

Gotta go start building more props for next year!

·
Registered
261 Posts
WOW GntlmnJac, I love your take on the execution room. I am going to do one of those this year and I like you idea on the platform. I'm also going to do a clown room with a working giant jack in the box. Time permitting I would love to do the 3 axis skull band.

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
I am sticking with the pirate theme, but I am going to add a dungeon setup that will be in my garage, underneath the deck. I want it to look something like this:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts