Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What things do you buy or scavenge that aren't originally meant to be Halloween items, but that you can't resist acquiring? For example, windshield wiper motors... but NOT things like foam pumpkins.

For me, it is Shiatsu Massagers. Unless they are outrageously priced, I buy every one I see at the thrift stores.

What are your non-Halloween Halloween quest items?

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts
So far I've acquired three digital photo frames (of various sizes) for around $10 each. Last year, I used one of them last year, running a slideshow of spooky portraits. This year, I intend to have some brief, creepy video clips looping in the others.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I am not as handy as many here (and can be a tad clumsy), so, needless to say, I do not require many components for making items. Vases (black or other dark colors), shelves (a couple even have gargoyle faces), table runners (Victorian designs), candleholders, and fantasy-themed resin figures and wall hangings are some of my main buys that are not technically 'Halloween'.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I acquire lots of wood (plywood, MDF, etc) for house projects and such. I always buy WAY to much because I dont trust my carpenter skills yet. I also dont give myself enough 'smarts' credit when I accomplish these projects with amateur carpenter experience. Hence I end up with lots of material for stones and coffins :p

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and I think I now have World's Largest Collection of black fabric. It's sometimes a throw-away item at work and I NEVER pass up an opportunity to add to the fabric hoard. At this point, I think I could completely drape the entire outside of my house in black fabric!

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
What things do you buy or scavenge that aren't originally meant to be Halloween items, but that you can't resist acquiring? For example, windshield wiper motors... but NOT things like foam pumpkins.

For me, it is Shiatsu Massagers. Unless they are outrageously priced, I buy every one I see at the thrift stores.

What are your non-Halloween Halloween quest items?
I love to get clothing throughout the year. especially long lacey frilly dresses, I can always use them in some form or fashion. Always looking for wedding dresses I can cut up, dye, bloody up, paint, rip , stuff etc.....great question by the way

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
So far I've acquired three digital photo frames (of various sizes) for around $10 each. Last year, I used one of them last year, running a slideshow of spooky portraits. This year, I intend to have some brief, creepy video clips looping in the others.
oh my goodness, what a great idea, totally going to steal your idea! I have one digital frame and I just took a trip to New Orleans St Louis Cemetery and Tombstones Boothill Cemetery in AZ where we got some pretty cool pictures and we always do a family costume theme, I can add those on as well. cool!

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts
oh my goodness, what a great idea, totally going to steal your idea! I have one digital frame and I just took a trip to New Orleans St Louis Cemetery and Tombstones Boothill Cemetery in AZ where we got some pretty cool pictures and we always do a family costume theme, I can add those on as well. cool!
No worries. Especially considering that I myself stole -- er, "borrowed", I should say ;) -- the idea from Dave Lowe's blog: http://davelowe.blogspot.com/2008/06/morphing-ghost-picture-with-lcd-photo.html

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I really should start buying the shiatsus, too. I see them a lot in the off-season. I practically live at thrift shops, always looking for things to spookify. I also need to remember to find my werewolf a new shirt.

This year, I went a little overboard on "candles". I bought several candle holders to spookify--I have to refrain from buying more, I have seen so many really cool ones! It's been so tempting to just buy them all, spookify them and sell them...but we don't have a lot of seasonal decorators here, so I'm not sure they would actually sell.

I also bought several battery operated and electric "other holiday" candle holders to paint and put flicker bulbs in (if I can find them...where are they this year??)

I buy pieces to use for mold-making for tombstone embellishments. I don't have many homemade stones yet, but I plan to replace all of my store-boughts eventually (and that will take awhile, I have over 40, mostly from store clearance)

This year I have been looking for small bird cages and cloche type displays to tear apart. So far I have one of each. I also find urn style vases hard to resist. I have more than the ones pictured, but everything below is new this year--and all from thrift shops.

I've been obsessing about PVC (creature bodies/stanchions/candles), electrical conduit (stakes for creatures/stanchions), and pipe insulation (chain for stanchions/wreath forms). I've also amassed a collection of ping pong balls for eyeballs and making a Jack Skellington light string that I saw on Pinterest, with one of my DT mini light strings.

11Hall candle stash.jpg
11Hall tall candle.jpg
^candle supply stash

11Hall mold stash.jpg
^ mold making items for embellishments

11Hall cloche cage.jpg
^beginning of cage and cloche stash

11Hall urn stash.jpg
^ this year's urn purchases; I have older ones in garage

The oil burner that's in with the candle holders left center--I plan on making a papier mache Jack o' Lantern for the top and put a battery op tealite in it, and maybe one in the bottom, too.

The triple holder behind it has small rings coming off of each holder. I bought some small rubber spiders and plastic chandelier prisms to hang from them, alternating each all the way around.

The wall sconces with the round backs aren't for this year--I'd like to put those up on each side of a mausoleum door once I get around to building one.

So many projects, so little motivation!

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Great thread idea! I haven't seen too many thrift store candelabra that I didn't have to own. Also silverplate serving dishes, and anything with a cherub on it. So far, I have 3 Shiatsu Massagers and have yet to try making something with them. And I buy foam wig heads whenever I see them. And white sheets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts