Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Royalty Unleashed!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it's like this....

Just came back on the scene after a looong sabbtical. So, forgive me if this thread is a repeat.
However, this is a subject that has always intrigued me -- What is your haunt's name and how did you arrive at that.

I'm big on labeling things (not people). I drove my crew crazy naming the scenes:

Me: "Barrabas, I need you in Come Hither My Lovely. Come Hither."
Barrabas: "Huh? Oooh, you mean the vampire scene."

The name of a haunt will literally turn me off and around to another one if the name is silly or unexplainable.

I'll be put on the cross a moment and tell you what I've named my daughter's:

Nightmare on Gillespie: The Bog

Explanation? Simple.
She lives on Gillespie (bet you didn't guess that). However, The Bog part derived from the fact that in 1986, the entire area where she now lives was almost completely wiped out by a flood. My sister lived there when it happened and barely escaped with her life. It has been recorded that 13 people died in that flood. Some say the city officials opened the flood gates on them and has since paid for it by settling a lawsuit with many angry residence. So...I am taking the area's flood history, the anger and 13 deaths (perfect number!) to create a bog setting with emerging bog people.

Now, it's your turn......

·
Royalty Unleashed!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woah! Awesome play on name and work! Wish I could be there to experience it in person.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
My Haunt is named Twisted Manor.
I have always wanted to live in a Manor so I knew that would have to be in the name. The twisted part came when I was talking to my aunt about some ideas for some of the scenes and she said your mind is twisted. wala Twisted Manor. My theme changes each year so the name fits each year.

·
Royalty Unleashed!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Haunt is named Twisted Manor.
I have always wanted to live in a Manor so I knew that would have to be in the name. The twisted part came when I was talking to my aunt about some ideas for some of the scenes and she said your mind is twisted. wala Twisted Manor. My theme changes each year so the name fits each year.
Ahahaha! Family can be such a help, can't they? ;)

·
Royalty Unleashed!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm, I have been naming my haunts differently for each theme. Last year was Shipwreck Cove (pirates). This year is The Midnight Carnival. I think I need an overall name - I really, really like that idea. Off to think....
Actually, your own name "Paint It Black" is sort of neat. :)

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
Empress! Welcome back girlfriend!
Glad to hear your still haunting the west coast!
Have missed you.

My yard is the Horror On Harvard. We live on the corner of Harvard and Lehigh Terrace, while setting up an order with the lovely Marilyn at ACC she asked the name of my haunt. I said I couldn't decide between Horror On Harvard or Lehigh Terror, she said she loved the Horror On Harvard! So I got my yard name literally while ordering Buckies!!! :D
The cemetery I have in the dark back corner of the yard is Harvard Hill Cemetery and that is because we live on the highest point of Harvard St.
Val

Okay, it's like this....

Just came back on the scene after a looong sabbtical. So, forgive me if this thread is a repeat.
However, this is a subject that has always intrigued me -- What is your haunt's name and how did you arrive at that.

I'm big on labeling things (not people). I drove my crew crazy naming the scenes:

Me: "Barrabas, I need you in Come Hither My Lovely. Come Hither."
Barrabas: "Huh? Oooh, you mean the vampire scene."

The name of a haunt will literally turn me off and around to another one if the name is silly or unexplainable.

I'll be put on the cross a moment and tell you what I've named my daughter's:

Nightmare on Gillespie: The Bog

Explanation? Simple.
She lives on Gillespie (bet you didn't guess that). However, The Bog part derived from the fact that in 1986, the entire area where she now lives was almost completely wiped out by a flood. My sister lived there when it happened and barely escaped with her life. It has been recorded that 13 people died in that flood. Some say the city officials opened the flood gates on them and has since paid for it by settling a lawsuit with many angry residence. So...I am taking the area's flood history, the anger and 13 deaths (perfect number!) to create a bog setting with emerging bog people.

Now, it's your turn......

·
Registered
328 Posts
After our first year haunting i decided I wanted a haunt with a back story and a name. Since I am more of the imaginative one, hubby left me to it. I created a family and a backstory for the haunt and I just liked the last name of Ravenfell for them. So our haunt became Ravenfell Manor. A family bound with dark magic, burned alive in their home years ago to stop their evil. But they have grown in power in the afterlife and are able to cross back over now on Halloween night every year.

We have been trying to work the story into the haunt itself more but haven't gotten it quite up to the way we want it yet. Mostly I write stories and histories about the family and their past deeds on our haunts facebook page.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Mine is "Olde Oaks Manor"

Honestly the DW and I went back and forth and argued over all kinds of names the first year, one of our friends commented we had a great place to haunt because of all these old oaks. It started to stick and gained traction quickly since our subdivision is "The Oaks" here in Arlington. It sounded good, we liked it and it has been our name ever since.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Mine is "The Revenants' Lair", because I like fifty-cent words like "revenant" ;) I suppose that revenants don't actually have lairs...but it sounded good to me at the time.

For the backstory:

It's a small abandoned cemetery, with the groundskeeper's house on the same property. The spirits became restless because the caretaker didn't really take care of things, and their loved ones had "long since passed into memory". He feels them calling to him at night, and it drives him mad. He is compelled to find the voices one foggy night, and disappears into the cemetery, never to be seen again. Until...the night that his wife hears him calling from the cemetery, and goes in search of him, and she is never seen alive again.

I have a voice-over of the story, although it's a shortened version. Someone on another haunt list recorded it for me several years ago. I'm not quite sure where it is right this minute...just realized that!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mine is "Vulture Hill". I wanted something"western" sounding and the names of the Mountains/hills here in Southern Neveda just were not working for me. So I looked to Northern Arizona, where a working mine was called "Vulture Mine". I live on a hill so, I worked "Vulture" in to that. Add to the fact that on the nearby golf course live REAL vultures, who feed on the leftovers of cottontails that get run over by golf carts...... ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts