• Red

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this year I'm using flood lights for the first time. It was hard deciding on the color. IMO, blue gives an eery haunting effect. Green gives of a goo'ish gory effect and red a firey gates of Hell effect. They all have their strong points. I decided on blue. What's your choice, and post pictures if you've got them handy. Here's my scarecrow lit with blue..I'm going to add an orange flicker light to the inside of his head today..

I'd like to see the different looks of different colors.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,530 Posts
I tried blue a few years back and it just didn't work for me. Switched to green last year and I liked that much more.
Hmmm, I did the exact opposite. I liked the creepy feel of the green, but the blue looked more like moonlight and really improved the overall feel of my cemetery. I don't think I'd ever go back.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blue is a little creepier I think, but green tends to travel further...if that makes sense:rolleyes:
It does make sense. With the blue, you can see in my pic, that it doesn't extend beyond the object it's shining on. I think most of my money,so far,this year has gone in to lighting :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why pick? Go with white.

Then visit your local theatrical supply store. Buy yourself some gels. Much wider range of colors available, and you can get the exact effect you want. They are designed to go on megawattage stage lights, so 100-150 watt floods (or less) won't hurt them at all. You can even combine them to get yourself unique colors. I've used chocolate a few times for some really creepy effects.

I swear by gels. No point in getting precolored lights when gels give you so much flexibility for so little cost.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I actually go with a combo of blue and green, lol. For all the reasons stated above. Best of both worlds...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I bought two flood lights this year and am not sure what color to use. I will definatly be watching this thread and hoping that you guys post some picks up with the other colors as well.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Might I also suggest mixing any 2 of those?

I've played around with it and having 2 colors, one to each side but still somewhat forward of the prop can really add some dimension and creep factor. I myself am partial to green and red, but the other combos among those 3 choices all work well in their own rights.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It does make sense. With the blue, you can see in my pic, that it doesn't extend beyond the object it's shining on. I think most of my money,so far,this year has gone in to lighting :rolleyes:
It makes sense. Look at the light spectrum.

ROY G BIV

Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet
Brighest to Darkest

Just want to add in about traffic lights even though probably no one cares. Red stands out the most, and thus you have it being stop. Orange is next, and thus why no traffic light? That's because orange is for construction which makes sense because people's lives are in the balance with construction, and that's important to have a bright color. Also, orange is a little too close to red being bright. So, you go to the next color which is caution in yellow. Of course, after that you have the green for the go light. Blue is less important of a color because it's with just signs like highway, or hospital.

Highway signs above the highway when you are driving are green because I think if they were yellow, it would mean warning. They do use yellow in them when they say exit now though because it's more of a warning. If they were red, people might think stop, and yellow for caution.

For stores, what are a lot of the lit signs? A lot of them are red, and white. Also, don't forget that white is actually the brightest, but isn't really a color.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like to mix them, this year we're using blue and green along with a few amber spots. Like wanderrob said I think when you mix colors it adds more dimension. I rarely use red, not sure why exactly I just love the creppy and errie look that the blue and green gives along with hints of amber.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just went and got a green and a blue light for my graveyard to go in my spike
floodlight holders. I'm a bit worried because mine have rubber/plastic that go above the normal (well what I've seen as normal) part of the light outlet. Has anyone tried this type before, will the bulb possibly get too hot and cause problems? I'm also thinking of picking up another one of some type for the scarecrow and haybails that I'm going to do on the other side of my yard (possibly a red floodlight bulb), but I want to see how the first two I got do before I go get more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm a bit worried because mine have rubber/plastic that go above the normal (well what I've seen as normal) part of the light outlet. Has anyone tried this type before, will the bulb possibly get too hot and cause problems? I'm also thinking of picking up another one of some type for the scarecrow and haybails that I'm going to do on the other side of my yard (possibly a red floodlight bulb), but I want to see how the first two I got do before I go get more.

I'm not quite sure I know wat you mean, but in terms of limiting heat and power needs for that matter, I'm going flourescent this year on my lights. We've been using flourescent floods in our driveway the past year or so and have been happy with them so I'm going that route all around and using gels to color the lights.

Trick is they do need a couple of minutes to come up to full brightness in coool weather. But once they warm up they're good to go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why pick? Go with white.

Then visit your local theatrical supply store. Buy yourself some gels. Much wider range of colors available, and you can get the exact effect you want. They are designed to go on megawattage stage lights, so 100-150 watt floods (or less) won't hurt them at all. You can even combine them to get yourself unique colors. I've used chocolate a few times for some really creepy effects.

I swear by gels. No point in getting precolored lights when gels give you so much flexibility for so little cost.
QFT!

Theatrical Gels are the way to go

1 - 20 of 26 Posts