Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, one of these threads gets started basically every year. I'm thinking of a different twist to it. Someone always asks how early is "too early" to start setting up. :) Some set up by Oct 1, or even earlier. Others set up on Oct 31, and tear down after the last ToT to avoid theft. Most of us somewhere between.

Well, rather than asking when is too early, I want to see how early you put out your first external decoration, and post a pic! For those who have a year 'round haunt, I'm jealous, but that's cheating. :) I'm curious if anyone else decides to put out an early taste of what's to come.

We have things in the house that are out all year, but our first outside prop was put out on 7/29. That's only 3 months before the big day. :rolleyes: :eek: I think it's pretty subtle. Granted, this won't be there when I set up officially, but I wanted a taste of Halloween a little early. It's a little too cutesy for my haunt, but fun to have out until October.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Love This! I typically start slowly putting things out in August through September. I do have some things out year round. I also keep things out as I purchase them. Grabbed a few things over the last few weeks and just put them out. Outside typically September.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is Wild Bill Hickock. He was the first full size prop that my wife made more than 20 years ago. We set up Labor Day weekend and it is a tradition that he goes out in the yard first. He over looks all the other characters and supervises them all so that they know exactly what they need to do each and everyday. He doesn't allow them to goof around or horseplay. He is also the very last that get taken down every year. I am only allowed to place his coffin box out each year, my wife is the one that takes him out and has a little chat with him each year before anyone else comes out. And she has a chat with him each year before she brings him in. Yes it sounds strange but the wife goes our everyday before the lights come on and fluffs all the characters and will talk to each of them. This is truly our favorite Holiday.

wb3.jpg

wb1.jpg

wb2.jpg

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Our tradition has been to start on Oct 1, but my sons have been doing things like adding a bat to the mail box, or putting a pumpkin out on the porch on Sep 1. Just a little reminder. :)

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is Wild Bill Hickock. He was the first full size prop that my wife made more than 20 years ago. We set up Labor Day weekend and it is a tradition that he goes out in the yard first. He over looks all the other characters and supervises them all so that they know exactly what they need to do each and everyday. He doesn't allow them to goof around or horseplay. He is also the very last that get taken down every year. I am only allowed to place his coffin box out each year, my wife is the one that takes him out and has a little chat with him each year before anyone else comes out. And she has a chat with him each year before she brings him in. Yes it sounds strange but the wife goes our everyday before the lights come on and fluffs all the characters and will talk to each of them. This is truly our favorite Holiday.
LOL! Excellent! That's hilarious! I love that you're not allowed to put out Bill. Are you at least allowed to talk to him? If not, if I were you I'd probably say a few choice words to him every time I'd walk by him in the yard. :mad:

Reactions: Goddess of Persia

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love This! I typically start slowly putting things out in August through September. I do have some things out year round. I also keep things out as I purchase them. Grabbed a few things over the last few weeks and just put them out. Outside typically September.
You have to post some pics when the first one is put out!

·
Registered
681 Posts
LOL! Excellent! That's hilarious! I love that you're not allowed to put out Bill. Are you at least allowed to talk to him? If not, if I were you I'd probably say a few choice words to him every time I'd walk by him in the yard. :mad:

LOL Nope I am allowed to talk to him. To the wife it is the official start to Halloween when he goes out. (Even though around our house it is Halloween all year round.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
My setup begins October 1 with a normal fall display of pumkins and cornstalks. This year I want to have my graveyard out then too. I am going to save my corpses for the night of to enhance the spookiness of that night. As much as I love Halloween, I want to preserve its specialness by not going into overload or burning myself out by having stuff out too soon. Then I will go all out for October.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
This is a great idea for a thread! I can't wait to see it all unfold with everyone's pictures!
I never put anything out before October 1st at the earliest. I tried putting out a couple of those "ragedy ann" type scarecrows in September just to scratch the itch, so to speak, but they were never my style and just looked wrong in my yard. So now I hold out for the real thing. Normally, I start with the fence and tombstones and keep adding all month long but this year I am planning on a mostly pumpkin display so I am not exactly sure how I'll phase in the set-up. Still working out the details!

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is a great thread!

I've only recently moved to a house where I actually have space to put stuff up outside.. I plan on a carnival theme this year, so it's going to be a lit carnival sign above the door, a couple of skellies with red noses and wild wigs popping out of the hedge/ out of the ground with a bucket of sweets for the night itself. Also a row of mounted clown heads on spikes along the front path.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My setup begins October 1 with a normal fall display of pumkins and cornstalks. This year I want to have my graveyard out then too. I am going to save my corpses for the night of to enhance the spookiness of that night. As much as I love Halloween, I want to preserve its specialness by not going into overload or burning myself out by having stuff out too soon. Then I will go all out for October.
I love this idea! I've thought about doing the same thing with certain pieces. I don't do zombie's in the yard, but I set up skellies. I'm also thinking about adding a few things this year, but thinking of setting them up on Halloween so that there's a slightly different twist. I also set up AtmosFearFX projections in the windows for all the days leading to Halloween, but I have so many different DVDs. Maybe I'll use something different up until the day, and then change it the day of. I'll have to play with it to see what I like.

Come on folks... REPRESENT! Am I the only nut case who has something out already? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ho, ho, ha, ha ha!

(The fact I feel like the only one, I'm thinking of going out there any setting up more stuff. LOL!)

Reactions: Goddess of Persia

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I keep gargoyles in the front and side yard and a skeleton on the front porch year round but don't put the cemetery out until October 1. I have some props that only go out on Halloween night due to weather concerns.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No outside decor yet...but my bday was July 31, and I figured since that's only 3mo til halloween, i was allowed to put up my newest lemax house piece (That i bought myself for my birthday present!) I got the new pumpkin patch one from Michaels :) it's in my entryway for all to see, hehe!!! last year i waited until my local spirit store opened to put up any indoor decor (maybe the end of august? ish)...every year it gets earlier lol....not sure when I will put anything outside yet, but so many people on Facebook are already tagging me in any/every halloween related post/diy they are coming across, so it can't be too early, right?!?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love this idea! I've thought about doing the same thing with certain pieces. I don't do zombie's in the yard, but I set up skellies. I'm also thinking about adding a few things this year, but thinking of setting them up on Halloween so that there's a slightly different twist. I also set up AtmosFearFX projections in the windows for all the days leading to Halloween, but I have so many different DVDs. Maybe I'll use something different up until the day, and then change it the day of. I'll have to play with it to see what I like.

Come on folks... REPRESENT! Am I the only nut case who has something out already? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ho, ho, ha, ha ha!

(The fact I feel like the only one, I'm thinking of going out there any setting up more stuff. LOL!)
I wish I could set some stuff up- the weather is still alternating between 100 degree plus heat and monsoons. :mad:

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just put out my ceramic black cat from Home Depot last year.
it's pretty neat when lit up at night!
You have to post a pic of your ceramic black cat. This gets me thinking... I'm considering putting out my large terra cotta pumpkins.

No outside decor yet...but my bday was July 31, and I figured since that's only 3mo til halloween, i was allowed to put up my newest lemax house piece (That i bought myself for my birthday present!) I got the new pumpkin patch one from Michaels :) it's in my entryway for all to see, hehe!!! last year i waited until my local spirit store opened to put up any indoor decor (maybe the end of august? ish)...every year it gets earlier lol....not sure when I will put anything outside yet, but so many people on Facebook are already tagging me in any/every halloween related post/diy they are coming across, so it can't be too early, right?!?
Happy birthday! Time to get our of your comfort zone and put something outside. lol!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'll definitely take a picture tomorrow:)
I just put out my ceramic black cat from Home Depot last year.
it's pretty neat when lit up at night!
You have to post a pic of your ceramic black cat. This gets me thinking... I'm considering putting out my large terra cotta pumpkins.

No outside decor yet...but my bday was July 31, and I figured since that's only 3mo til halloween, i was allowed to put up my newest lemax house piece (That i bought myself for my birthday present!) I got the new pumpkin patch one from Michaels
it's in my entryway for all to see, hehe!!! last year i waited until my local spirit store opened to put up any indoor decor (maybe the end of august? ish)...every year it gets earlier lol....not sure when I will put anything outside yet, but so many people on Facebook are already tagging me in any/every halloween related post/diy they are coming across, so it can't be too early, right?!?
Happy birthday! Time to get our of your comfort zone and put something outside. lol!

·
Registered
190 Posts

I put a lot of thought into this and decided I wanted an interesting display for the whole month, but I also wanted something really special on Halloween night that my neighbors havent seen all month long. My yard and house are very close to the sidewalk so I felt anything I put out would get over exposed during the month. This way the graveyard they have been seeing all month will be transformed even more on Halloween night, offering a fun and scary surprise.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I usually start in September but started a couple of weeks ago with natural fall decorations that will slowly turn into a decrepit and decayed Halloween backdrop.
I find heinous joy in a suspenseful setup - putting out small touches each week like hints to a sinister story that's about to unfold.The first Halloween thing that goes out is an ominous sign - a sign of things to come. That will go out next week.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts