Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I've curated a pretty good selection of Halloween music, for parties and for simply setting the tone of the season for myself. But I've never liked the corny, cliche', kind of childish Halloween novelty music, or the played out pop songs that people seem to use for Halloween but don't fit the tone (Werewolves of London, Rock Lobster, etc.). I have a very specific "vibe" in mind for Halloween music which makes it tough to find new songs, so when I do stumble upon a good one I consider it like an archeological find.

So I want to know, what are your favorite "left field" finds? Songs that you don't ever see when you Google "Halloween music" but just work perfectly for setting the tone? Here are just a couple that I've found:

Green Day - Misery: Sounds nothing like any other Green Day song; has a great Spanish/Day of the Dead mixed with carnival vibe and macabre lyrics.

Legendary Shack Shakers - Nellie Bell: Their entire Pandelirium album has a twisted, creepy circus-y theme and the final track is the most eerie, spooky one on the album. Ichabod! is also a good Halloween song; much more energetic but still fits the tone.

The Drowning Men - Oracle Meets Weeping Willow & Oracle Meets Obstacle: Someone told me about this band, and while the album these two tracks come from doesn't sound Halloween-y, these two tracks that bookend the album are a FLAWLESS intro/outro to any Halloween playlist. Creepy piano, the sound of howling wind, a theramin melody.... perfect.

Captain Clegg and the Nightcreatures (the entire album, from Halloween 2): If you've seen Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 you probably remember the rockabilly band that plays during the party scene. You can buy their album on iTunes! Sadly they are a fictional band so this one album is all there is, but it's full of superb Halloween songs, especially Day of the Dead which always gets tons of plays throughout September and October.

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
I love the idea of this post! Let me make sure I am understand you correctly. Are you talking like Mainstream songs by big named artists. (AC/DC, Akon... etc..) That have this certain feel? like when you listen to it and you go into this weird day dream stage thinking about setting a haunt room with the music (Like anything Combichrist?)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the idea of this post! Let me make sure I am understand you correctly. Are you talking like Mainstream songs by big named artists. (AC/DC, Akon... etc..) That have this certain feel? like when you listen to it and you go into this weird day dream stage thinking about setting a haunt room with the music (Like anything Combichrist?)
Yeah, it can be mainstream artists or something obscure, but I want to know what songs people like to use for Halloween settings that you don't typically see other people using.

For example, I looked through the thread with the index of Halloween songs, and although it had hundreds of songs on it, there were so many that are Halloween staples for me that were not on the list.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well I've always loved night on bald mountain, This is Halloween, Lil Red Riding Hood by Sam the Sham and the Pharohs, the Headless Horseman by Thurl Ravenscroft. Those are just a select few from my Halloween playlist.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Living in Athens, GA, I've always been a fan of the local music scene, and that's where I get a lot of my Halloween-type music too. I love these silly, gothic-sounding indie songs by a short-lived local band, Hans Darkbolt, that I used to go see a few years ago. Apparently, you can still download their songs here if you're interested. There is some language in their songs though, so they're best for an adult party.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Living in Athens, GA, I've always been a fan of the local music scene, and that's where I get a lot of my Halloween-type music too. I love these silly, gothic-sounding indie songs by a short-lived local band, Hans Darkbolt, that I used to go see a few years ago. Apparently, you can still download their songs here if you're interested. There is some language in their songs though, so they're best for an adult party.
That band is great! Really good Halloween-y vibe with the harpsichord and everything.

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
Hmmm, How about Suicide Silence. A buddy of mine showed me this a long while back and for some reason I get this maniac chills all the time. Its heavy metal with a sample of the 911 Call of the Chimpanze attack (the victim was featured on Oprah Winfrey (Correctme on spelling) Her face was completely dis-oriented)..

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Hex Girls from Scooby Doo Witch's Ghost, they continued on reappearing in other movies and in Scooby Doo Mystery Inc.

Video of all performances by the Hex Girls from Scooby-Doo! All rights go to Warner Bros.

1. Hex Girl: Witch's Ghost, Legend of the Vampire, SDMI (remix)
2. Earth, Wind, Fire, and Air: Witch's Ghost, SDMI (remix)
3. Witch's Ghost: Witch's Ghost Soundtrack
4. Zoinks!: Witch's Ghost Soundtrack
5. Who Do Voodoo: Legend of the Vampire, SDMI
6. Scooby-Doo Where Are You (remix with Mystery Inc.): Legend of the Vampire
7. Petrified Bride: WNSD
8. What's New Scooby Doo (remix): WNSD
9. Scooby Snax/Scooby Snacks: Witch's Ghost Soundtrack
10. Trap of Love: SDMI
11. It's a Mystery: Witch's Ghost Soundtrack
12. Good Bad Girls: SDMI
13. Those Meddling Kids: Witch's Ghost Soundtrack

·
Registered
574 Posts
My favorite non-Halloween Halloween songs typically either deal with a dark subject matter or they are just kinda gloomy without being over-the-top. Here are some examples:

“Timothy” by the Buoys ... a peppy song about 3 kids trapped in a mine … but only two escape. What happened to Timothy? And why aren’t the other two hungry? (Written by “Pina Colada Song” singer Rupert Holmes!)
“D.O.A.” by Bloodrock … an eerie and disturbing song about a plane crash.
“Heartbreak Hotel” by John Cale … it ain't Elvis - and he really does sound so lonely that he could die.
“Red Right Hand” by Nick Cave … a popular Halloween classic, needed to be mentioned.
"Behind My Camel” by the Police … angst-y instrumental.
“The Devil’s Own” by David Sylvian … gloomy and ghostly. Lots of Sylvian’s music fits – “The Wooden Cross”, “Maria”, etc.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Hearing about 20 actual male voices all singing slowly in a big basement:"I need you... Baby." (Franky Valley's song?) Emphisis on the "NEED" in a very sinister way. One night this just happened, un-planned in our JC Haunted house, mere sheet-walls seperating everyone, so the sound was great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh man, I was just thinking about making this thread myself the other day! Most of my "Halloween playlist" is either loosely-Halloween-related horror punk or that unexpected kind of stuff, but I picked a couple favorites:

"Little Things of Venom" by Arid (from Haunted Castle 3D; not so great movie, gorgeous music)
"Tale Of The Runaways" by Maylene and the Sons of Disaster (southern style metal, I can't quite describe it but it gives me chills)
Pretty much anything by So Sick Social Club, especially "Basement" (they come from the ICP family of "murder rap" but they're actually good)
And probably my most favorite, "Cry Little Sister Vs. Hello Zepp" by Celldweller (his Halloween mashup from 2012)

·
>^..^<
793 Posts
Love the Captain Clegg song - great sound and I like the end scene...

Shiny Toy Guns video cracks me up - another good song. Listening to the John Cale and David Sylvian's now, thank you. And next up, thumpingmoonlight's suggestions!

I've been waking up with this in my head lately - like the structure of it:

Also been listening to these guys this week, The Devil Makes Three. Their "All Hail" is pretty damning in an entirely un-Halloween way, and their "Hallelu" makes me laugh (also not-H, except maybe for a Hell party mix).

And I heard this the other day which struck me as good for an asylum/madhouse mix (besides liking it in general):

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So many great hidden gems! I can't wait to get home and look into all of these.

Like thumpingmoonlight said, I have a lot of punk and horror punk in my library and I love when I find a song that just has that Halloween sound (I haven't even mentioned the numerous Misfits songs that fit that description). Some other recent finds I'd encourage anyone to check out:

Murder by Death - Dead Men and Sinners: If you are doing a pirate themed Halloween party this is one essential macabre sea shanty. "His belly was as big as a barrel, and his coffin was made from a redwood's trunk"

Murder by Death - The Curse of Elkhart: Thundering drums, organ keyboards, ghost-like moaning background vocals, and foreboding lyrics. "Should I bide my time or start to fight? Wait for the sound of drums pounding in the night?"

Alice Cooper - This House is Haunted: I'd have thought this would be on more lists, but I never see it come up. People usually go with Welcome to My Nightmare, but this song is way more "spooky", just musically.

The Living End - Beware the Moon: I'll just include this lyric sample... "Under the moonlight, I almost died of fright, yeah under the moonlight, I was paralyzed, she changed right before my eyes, under the moonlight"

Dead 60's - Ghostfaced Killer: Kind of hard to find this song, but it's perfect. One of the very few Halloween-appropriate ska songs out there, backed by that synthesized organ sound.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts