Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When buying used Halloween stuff, how do you set your MAX price, you'll pay?
Items I'd like to have, but can live without, I look at original retail and figure new 50% off the day after Halloween.
So for a Halloween Store Prop retailing at $100, day after (if its still there) is $50.00, a home haunter reselling it used, I figure its $10-$50 depending on condition.
I must admit, I do buy new, at the Halloween stores (and last season visited 12 different stores), but then only buy with coupons.
Now as I'm developing more expensive tastes and looking at used Pro-haunt items (think Transworld items), they have no coupons, normally no 50% off sales, so what is a rough value of these used props?.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
The price is relative and I'm not sure I'd have any type of "formula" to determine what I'd pay for something. The value of anything is simply what someone is willing to pay for it. You can certainly factor in the list price of a prop when coming to a purchase price, but more over I think you have to look at your budget, how bad you really want it, and how hard will it be to find another if you pass on it. My wife and I have been into antiques for several years and our motto is, if we really like it, can afford it and likely won't see another, then get it before someone else does. We've kicked ourselves in the past for not getting things we felt were priced too high, only to have them slip through our hands and not being able to find it anywhere else.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,761 Posts
I decide what value I think an item is worth to me and how much I am willing to pay and stick to it. If the asking price is in line with my pre-determined value great, if not I walk away. I don't typically barter on price but I have sent emails to prospective sellers referencing other sellers if an item is priced inappropriately, and I have emailed sellers mentioning that if they are unable to get their asking price I would be open to pay X amount.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
It depends what it is..I'm pretty cheap and wait for the sales, but, I'll pay full price for Gargoyles to make sure I get them.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Several years ago a large Haunt was up for auction and many pro-haunters were there. Many of them were amazed at the high prices paid that day, but I guess the main purchaser was going Pro,and maybe was closer than the rest.
If you want a prop no longer commonly found or still made, even such an item needing work will still go high, sometimes close to it's new price, but then that new price was established a few years ago wasn't it?
It costs a person money to travel to sales, auctions, spend all day looking and bidding, all time and money that could have been spent somewhere else.. better?
There was also an incident in which a deal was made for a semi-tractor full of Haunt items, pre-paid of course.
The buyer felt extremely ripped off when the trailer doors were opened, I heard.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If its a Spirit item, then I won't pay more than 50%, given that you can get most Spirit items in NEW condition for that price the day after Halloween. Usually I want to pay significantly less than that, given that spirit animatronics are almost always broken or malfunctioning, and even some static items (foam filled latex, etc) age poorly if they're not stored with care. I will explain these rationale to sellers when I am negotiating with them. I'm sure most see me as a pain in the ***, but I am often able to get an item for 10-20% of retail.

If its a unique or higher end item then this approach generally doesn't work, and you have to calculate how badly you want an item against how much the seller is asking and how likely you are to find the item again. Some sellers hold the items too dearly - there was one last year on craigslist selling a Distortions prop I badly wanted, but they were literally asking more than the retail price, and refused to budge even after I sent them the link to Distortions' webpage. It can be frustrating some times but also very rewarding when you score a great deal. I generally hope for/aim for sellers who are done with haunting and just looking to clear the items out of their house at a reasonable price. Fortunately there's lots of sellers out there like this; there seems to be a lot of turnover in haunters each year.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I have seen so much pure "Junk" in some"October" Stores. Painted by crippled, untrained spiders from Mars, maybe? (No, they do better work!) It remains amazing to me how anyone , except a blind person, would ever do the work of reaching into their pocket to pull out good money for much of those items I have seen?
Oh,well?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jdubbya, interesting your relating to antiques, my approach to Antique Shows is to walk the whole show, note what I think is a good purchase and then go back.
If sold, then I WAS RIGHT, it was a good price, if it is still there, then maybe it is too high! Of course if I have the money and can't live without that's different.
So I guess I almost do the same with used Halloween purchases, I'll watch something on craig's list (if I think its too high) and see if price lowers, or let others make offers 1st and then contact seller. My yard haunt is about 80% used, but I've bought some items, because of size and freight, I may never have a chance again, several Gag Studios or EPS foam parts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TheMonsterSquad, in person or over internet I'll show photo's of my yard, to show item will go to good home, but when I'm there in person and get the, " need to sell, out of work" or "need money having a kid" I break down and pay the asking price. I recently watched a Moaneek for 6 months, got it for a very good price and they threw in a non-working gemmy.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,343 Posts
I guess the answer for most is "it depends.":D

Untrained Spiders from Mars....sounds like a new SyFy flick or a David Bowie tribute band Gym!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I have a silly , phoney poster on display here pointing out the ridiculousness of the local arts and crafts fair (been going on for 35 yrs.?) that one May pre-decided they would be having no art or crafts!?
A part of my poster said something about "Untrained Crippled Spiders from Mars building web sites."
Since the arts & Crafts were going to be replaced by just having a bigger beer tent ,my poster also said "Free BEER, but of course there won't be any free beer, one more time for fun! Free Beer!
They did finally see the error of their ways and arts and crafts were included in the Mayfest Arts & Crafts Weekend.
I used to go "Round and Round " with that committee over some of their stupid choices and bold-faced lies used to try to shuffle responsibility to others.
I guess I'm just not a "Committee" Person.. maybe some here could already tell that?
hahahaha!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
Gym Whourlfeld
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing