Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You walk into Home Depot and the guy remembers you from last year and all of the visits you made to make pneumatic props.

Had to laugh as I raced into HD yesterday for a quick (and relatively inexpensive visit) and I walked through a crowded aisle and one of the HD guys stopped in mid-sentence and asked if I'd started my Halloween build yet. He then proceeded to tell everyone around him how I go all out and do micro controlled pneumatic props. He remembered me from when I bought a new compressor last year.

·
The Ghost Host
597 Posts
Here's one:

Everything you try to put in the trash or recycling gets a second chance because it may make a good prop.
SO MUCH TRUTH TO THAT STATEMENT.

I can't tell you the amount of times i've gotten looks from people at work when we throw away stuff I think I can use. I'm always doing double takes and racking my brain for ways I can use some of our old stuff.

But to add to the thread:

"When you get that excited tingle in your stomach when you see the first Spirit or Halloween Express sign go up."

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yes, me too. . but I have "drawn the Line" on what I will take. Just a few years ago an apartment across the alley (2nd floor) which had not been lived in for at least 80 YEARS! True! was getting re-habbed, cleaned out.. there was a Deer head trouphy taxidermied 80 years ago.. "You should have this in your Haunted House, Jim!"
No thanks! the eyes were crooked , there were Frankenstein-ish stitches very visible, these would have been actually positive things going for it to me, BUT an Ex of mine worked in a Museum and she told me how anything with fur must be quick-frozen every other YEAR to kill the bugs that always want to move in. Any Quick-freeze place around here? No. Did I want "bugs" brought into my house? No.
The other "prop" I passed on also came from an old store building just a block away. It was a maniquin that got half burnt after a lightning strike had set the building on fire.. it looked like pictures I have seen of real bodies after they were half-burnt!
The "skin" had cracked open in small fissures after it turned black, exposing an under layer of white-ish color.
Two guys who had driven out from Chicago to go through my house took it with them. I hoped the Police wouldn't ask to inspect their trunk on the way home, it might get confusing and time -eating til it would get sorted out!
When I first had this house I had no fence or barriers to keep people out of my yard. I would walk outside to find people who meant well had dropped off micro-waves and other junk appliances, thinking I could use them or fix them or something? I had to pay to have them taken away!
You Can "harvest" many nice micro-switches from a micro wave though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you walk out of Albertsons and stop to take a picture of their cool tree display.
photo.JPG
Couldn't help but do a double take and think hmmm, this might be useful. People walking into store were thinking WTF is this guy doing shooting pics of a display.

·
Registered
388 Posts
^ I don't blame you one bit for that one, EvilEye! And I appreciate you posting it too, because my one major goal this year in prop building is a Ray Bradbury-esque Halloween tree covered in Jack-O-Lanterns. I know I'm going to get a couple cases of the DT Carvables when they're available, but I've been working on building a PVC tree and that's great inspiration.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zombiesmash, I peeled the paper back at the bottom of the trunk and it was a large cardboard tube. Then about 2/3 the way up it was no longer a solid tube but still cardboard that felt like was just folded around and inserted into the larger tube (like a shipping tube). I think they did the same for the branches in that it was just cardboard folded over so it was kind of triangular.

·
Registered
46 Posts
^ I don't blame you one bit for that one, EvilEye! And I appreciate you posting it too, because my one major goal this year in prop building is a Ray Bradbury-esque Halloween tree covered in Jack-O-Lanterns. I know I'm going to get a couple cases of the DT Carvables when they're available, but I've been working on building a PVC tree and that's great inspiration.
I'm a newbie. Do you mind if I ask what a DT Carvable is? I love the idea of a Halloween tree covered in Jacks!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,672 Posts
You walk into Home Depot and the guy remembers you from last year and all of the visits you made....
OMG this actually happens to me at HD. Not just one guy, but several people. I even had one employee bring her kids to see my yard haunt after work (my HD is very close to my house).

You know you're a Halloween nut when...every time you go to HD, the FIRST thing you do is go check out the oops! paint.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I have probably said so before, but:

When you thoughtfully consider how much legal trouble you might get into, if you hook up an Axeworthy to the abandoned funeral home across the street, so it will run through your yard haunt, too.

When you see vehicles park at the abandoned funeral home, people go inside...and you get just a little bit jealous, wondering if they're buying it. :(

When you also thoughtfully consider calling the owners of the former funeral home, to ask if they have anything "cool" for sale in there. (because how many stories have we heard about cool stuff accidentally left behind in funeral homes???)

That letdown feeling that you get when your neighbor jokingly says "Hey, why don't you decorate my yard too?" because for just a second there, you believe it, even though you know better. ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you build a 10x16 shed to store Halloween stuff...then a couple years later you start building a 10x20 shed (and no, it still isn't enough)]
LOL Scatterbrains, you have no idea how long I've been jonesing for a shed to place my ever growing Halloween collection.

·
Registered
174 Posts
when you're thinking about getting a second job just to fund your props and party! :D and Yes, i agree with the shed one too. I am already outgrowing mine!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
29 Participants
kmeyer1313
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing