Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all have our favorite horror movies (The Exorcist, Candyman, F13th, etc) But what movies would be good for a general crowd of friends this time of year :D?

There is so much movies to pick from. Personally, I like to pick different movies from each horror sub genre. For example, for supernatural: Poltergeist, for slasher: Psycho, gore: Saw. But you have to pick carefully, because you want your friends to be scared ****less and also have enjoyment. haha.

I love showing movies like The Exorcist though, that one always seems to freak the hell out of everybody!! It is one of the best movies ever!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So we all have our favorite horror movies (The Exorcist, Candyman, F13th, etc) But what movies would be good for a general crowd of friends this time of year :D?

There is so much movies to pick from. Personally, I like to pick different movies from each horror sub genre. For example, for supernatural: Poltergeist, for slasher: Psycho, gore: Saw. But you have to pick carefully, because you want your friends to be scared ****less and also have enjoyment. haha.

I love showing movies like The Exorcist though, that one always seems to freak the hell out of everybody!! It is one of the best movies ever!

lol, yeah the Rob Zombie version are decent, but not great :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Watch Hocus Pocus in the afternoon while baking or pumpkin carving. Start sunset off with something fun to get everyone excited!: Nightmare on Elm Street or Evil Dead II or Dead Alive. Then start making the movies a little creepier but still "fun": Poltergeist or Dawn of the Dead or Return of the Living Dead. For the pinnacle of the night when the TOTers are streaming to your door, you have to put on the 1978 Halloween! Finish up the night with something serious and scary; this is really personal taste but I would go with a movie like The Blair Witch Project, Fire in the Sky, or The Shining. Could even end the night with a Universal Monsters Classic!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I do one or more movie marathons during the Halloween season. One that always gets included is the Evil Dead series, which this year will include the original trilogy, the remake and Cabin in the Woods. Most years, I also have a Hammer Horrorfest.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm agreeing with kardec because weirdly those are the ones I watch Haha, I swap dawn of the dead with day of the dead. For slashers i really love “behind the mask: the rise of Leslie Vernon" dog soldiers is fun maybe the howling(just the first) if you want a FUN creature feature I suggest “grabbers"

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd probably go with movies that are a collection of short stories to keep it moving.
Creepshow, VHS 1 & 2, Bodybags, etc.

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
Trick 'r Treat would fit that category. I agree that the original Halloween is a must watch...not the remake POS though.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Trick 'r Treat, for sure. Maybe Death Becomes Her, though that's black comedy and not so much horror. After that, I'd start into the terrible $5 bargain bin stuff - I like cheesy, no-budget, B grade, too-stupid-to-be-scary, 5-movies-on-one-dvd type. And Nosferatu!

ETA: asking friends to bring a movie and voting on which ones to watch sometimes gets you good results too.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
gotta go with halloween for slasher. also love the scream series but since halloween is halloween... it goes without saying. also theres rocky horror and nightmare before christmas for earlier in the evening...

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
I like going with monster movies - that alone can create sub-genres. Werewolf flicks are my favorite; The Wolf Man, American Werewolf in London, Silver Bullet, Cursed... so much fun.

·
Registered
963 Posts
William Castle's original 1960 "13 Ghosts" !
John Carpenter's original 1979 "The Fog" !
"Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" !
The 1931 "Dracula" with Bela Lugosi!
Hammer Films' 1958 classic "Horror of Dracula" with Christopher Lee!

Just a few of my absolute faves...

·
Registered
254 Posts
The original Halloween is a must! But don't forget Friday the 13th, Carrie, Night of the Living Dead, The Omen, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist, The Ring, It, The Grudge and Salem's Lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm, I like this thread.

Maybe start off with Carrie then into Trick R Treat. Night of the Living Dead for some good zombie fun. Halloween next followed by Alien and then The Grudge. I'd close it off with a midnight viewing of Rocky Horror Picture Show to sort of come down from all the scares :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Actually, as I do things today, I'm into a horror movie marathon as I write. So far today I've seen Tobe Hooper's "Mortuary," "Dead Silence," "Tremors," "I Was a Halloween Monster" and now "Creepshow." It never fails to surprise me just how many horror flicks Tobe Hooper has made. I mean, everybody remembers him for the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre." But did you know he was also the director of the original "Salem's Lot" with David Soul? But he's also done a lot of stuff nearly nobody has ever heard of like "Crocodile" and "Mortuary." Interesting guy. "Dead Silence", in case you've never seen it, is a great ghost story concerning a creepy old lady and her even creepier ventro dummies. "Tremors" is a good old fashioned drive in-style monster movie set in the desert staring Kevin Bacon and Fred Waring. "I Was a Halloween Monster" was something I made after playing a zombie "scare" actor at Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights in 2006. They told us we couldn't bring cameras inside or use them on stage, and it was a termination-worthy trespass to even try. So of course I filmed a whole documentary. I have a friend who tells me that "Monster" is his very favorite Halloween movie. One of mine is that 1982 George Romero/Stephen King classic, "Creepshow." It's the history I have with this flick that makes it so special. When it came out in '82, one of the local L.A. radio stations, the might Met, KMET, announced they would be doing a special listener's only screening at the now long-defunct South Bay Drive in. The only way you could get tickets was by writing into the station for them, and they were given out on a first come, first served basis. As it turned out, me and all my friends got tickets. The KMET "Creepshow" party was outrageous! Next day I barely even remembered the film. In fact, a week later I went down to the local cinema to see it again. Watching it felt sort of like deja vu. It's been one of my all time Halloween season favorites ever since.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Woo hoo! The mighty met! I used to listen to KMET back in the day. That party must have been a lot of fun...!

I went to a screening of George Romero's "Day of the Dead" just before it opened, and if you were dressed as a zombie you got in free. KROQ was giving out soundtrack albums and T-shirts there, and a bunch of my friends drove down dressed as zombies with full-on prosthetic makeups. Fun evening!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts