Yet another witch cauldron with burning coal...but my first one

2412 Views 28 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Michael__Myers
Cake decorating Christmas ornament Plant Ornament Food

Green Hood Toy Christmas ornament Automotive lighting

Green Christmas ornament Creative arts Headgear Leaf vegetable

Plant Cake Food Cake decorating Lighting

Green Christmas ornament Toy Skull Creative arts

Christmas ornament Toy Creative arts Tree Ornament

Doing a witch garage haunt this year, so I got started on my cauldron. Watched alot of tutorials on YouTube to see the process. Picked up the cauldron from Party City last fall. I've had the skull staff for many years and the witch will be using it to "stir" the pot, although it'll just be static. Green lights were added in the cauldron with ornaments and spider webs painted green for the illusion of the bubbling effect. Great stuff was sprayed and painted green as well for the spill over.

For the burning coal, great stuff was sprayed and painted. Added skulls and bones I've had along with mulch. LED orange string lights and flickering string lights represent the fire.

The cauldron was painted with a mixture of brown and black and texture added by using the oatmeal and mod podge technique. I also added green for the stained effect from the cauldron's liquid.

Took some pics with lights on and off. Probably do a little touch ups but nothing major. It's pretty much done. Thanks for looking. Any questions just ask. Any suggestions for something that's missing feel free to comment. Also open to any critiques. Just a fun Halloween project to do in the spring to get the ball rollin' for this year's haunt.

Happy Halloween! :giggle:
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the skulls in the fire, not sure I have seen that before

Saw someone had one in theirs and I've got a few so figured I'd throw a couple in there. I think if someone has like 5 or 6, they could place them in a line kinda jagged/crooked and it would look pretty cool. Might block out some of the lighting though.
really cool, nice job!
Appreciate it :giggle:

· Registered
1,242 Posts
I am chuckling at the casual mention of "the oatmeal and mod podge technique". Like this is just something everyone does, and they sell mod podge right next to the oatmeal because so many people use them together.

It looks GREAT, you really elevated that plastic cauldron from the party store. The texture looks great, too.

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am chuckling at the casual mention of "the oatmeal and mod podge technique". Like this is just something everyone does, and they sell mod podge right next to the oatmeal because so many people use them together.

It looks GREAT, you really elevated that plastic cauldron from the party store. The texture looks great, too.
Thank you :giggle:

Oatmeal and mod podge...as popular as peanut butter and jelly they tell me :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Freaking amazing, never seen one like it. I may have to revise mine. Do you have a tutorial? Amazing looking

Sorry I don't have a legit tutorial to share. I just watched several YouTube videos on how people have made theirs and just combined what I liked what they did and just incorporated it into my cauldron as best I could. Kind of Frankenstein'd it if you will.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts