Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
I thought when you posted "too much" it was going to be of a jam packed lawn set up where there were so many props and decorations you couldn't see the grass let alone really notice a prop buried under everything.

Someone posted about this yesterday and I commented about it there. The news channel video was interesting to watch and it gives you a chance to see the whole display. After seeing it it, I haven't changed my mind thinking it's still not appropriate for little kids to see. Gave more reasons why on the other thread. I did like the news coverage and the way they edited it including the music added. But then I'm an adult appreciating that.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
The "I rebuke this in the name of Jesus!" lady made me :D.

Once again, the folks up there that think it goes "too far" have probably never really seen "too far" but then they wouldn't be interested in that anyway.

On the same page there's video of some dude handing out lifelike 12 week fetus dolls to kids at a Halloween event. I wonder what the "rebuke" lady would think of that & which would be more offensive to her?"

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
That one lady has a different take on it believing its the devils work or something like that. But I think the real question is not "s it disturbing for teens and adults?", but "do you think it's too much of an image for little kids who carry dolls around with them still and don't have the maturity to understand the display and not find it upsetting"? My objection is that it's placed right where little kids walking by would see it.

i actually like a a haunt with a toy room and even have One Spirit zombie doll (a more realistic looking one too) so the idea of doing a display like this doesn't bother me, just that it's made so public as to include little kids.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I know one thing, they'll need more candy now that they've been on CNN.

Maybe it's just the brat/punk/artist in me but I'd put MORE out now just to piss people off. I don't stop you from rebuking me, you don't stop me from scary doll-ing. I also hope they don't get vandalized.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A little twisted but doesn't bother me.... I think halloween is supposed to be scary! It seems more cartoony then realistic to me.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
It seems more cartoony then realistic to me.
Same thought that I had upon viewing the scene. If people are bothered so much by that, they had better lock their doors and never venture out of their houses again... at any time of the year, for any reason at all:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But I think the real question is not "s it disturbing for teens and adults?", but "do you think it's too much of an image for little kids who carry dolls around with them still and don't have the maturity to understand the display and not find it upsetting"? My objection is that it's placed right where little kids walking by would see it.
They are clearly dolls, not even realistic. IMHO, we're back to "what will I tell my children" arguments against displays. The point of a Halloween display is to actually be seen. No offense intended GoS. :D

I hope the people seriously upset by this blindfold their children when they get in cars so they don't see any roadkill along their drive as well. I shudder to think what THAT would do to a child who has pets / loves animals... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't see how this is any different, really, that the Spirit demon babies they sell. It's a toy doll - not an actual realistic child in any of this display. And hell, it's pretty damn original.

I like it!

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Its different, I'll give it that. Back in the 80's I had a doll with a 6" nail through its head onto a plank of wood hanging in my car rear window with a sign that read "baby on board". So I don't see any difference with this. Yes it could be viewed as disturbing, but hell, I'm sure if we nit pick, we can find everyone does or has something disturbing to someone. Pleasing everyone is impossible, but upsetting and pissing people off is easy!

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
They are clearly dolls, not even realistic. IMHO, we're back to "what will I tell my children" arguments against displays. The point of a Halloween display is to actually be seen. No offense intended GoS. :D

I hope the people seriously upset by this blindfold their children when they get in cars so they don't see any roadkill along their drive as well. I shudder to think what THAT would do to a child who has pets / loves animals... :rolleyes:

None taken, Sumrtym. I'm talking about little 2-3 year old and such kids in the neighborhood that talk to their dolls and see their dolls talk back, open their eyes, go to sleep, wet their pants, cry....they think their dolls get hurt too. They don't understand what's real or not or what consequences are real. Like poking someone's eye, hitting them over the head, pulling a trigger on a gun. Just saying. Their dolls are real to them even if you tell them they are just dolls. It's not a concept they really get yet. Those are images that stay with them and some parents say their kids get nightmares when the kids see something disturbing to them. For those reasons I don't think using dolls like this is cool for a kid friendly neighborhood. Now maybe there are those that would love to give kids nightmares.

I personally have absolutely no problem with this stuff in a more teen/adult setting.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
well, as I asked in the other thread about this haunt, how is that Halloween display any different from the vandalism children inflict on their own toys every other day of the year?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts