Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, back in those long ago days when Halloween was not a 24/7/365 hobby of mine...I would play a LOT of video games.

And, the last one I really got hooked on was Guild Wars.

As some may have read, Guild Wars was even responsible for inspiring the whole field of skulls thing. In 2007, one little cave caught my eye...

I even took the time to light the yard up in honor of that cave...

However, that was too late to enter the Guild Wars Halloween Art Contest.

In 2008, I pegged a Guild Wars Graveyard. In part to enter the contest, but mostly because my 5 year old wanted a graveyard, and I didn't want an 'ordinary one'.

I knew letting the kids do most the work would preclude winning the contest, but it was worth it to get them excited.

(the slideshow don't want to attach, so just a snapshot)

While I'm planning an entirely new direction for the yard, I know I can't get it all finished THIS year, so it's really working towards 2010. Still, I want to add something THIS year, that will also fit with what we'll be doing in 2010.

And, as one of the totems collapsed last year, I've been thinking of ways to replace it, possilby with a whole new design. And, I wanted to enter that Halloween art contest for real, at least once before I put this general yard design aside for good. (or at least a few years)

That has brought me full circle...

That first cave is found in a Charr temple. Charr, in the game, are rather primitive, worship fire, and view humans as meat. Basically, they fit the yard PERFECT.

At the beginning of GW, they worshipped some fire gods...and would create THESE in their honor.

MOST often, they were seen ablaze, however.

(For reference, this character is 5'8")

Question becomes....

HOW.

Scale is likely unrealistic simply for storage.

I WOULD like them a min of 7' tall head to toe.

I'll need the arms and legs removable for storage as well. And likely the body able to come in halves.

Paper Mache is the most likely medium. Even so, that tripod leg design has me concerned what would be sturdy enough to hold the weight...

Been thinking of metal conduit, or even pipe as a frame, but that has a host of problems itself.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I know you just ruled out conduit, but I wouldn't be too hasty on that front, I'd use a conduit "stick" figure surrounded by grape vine and paper mache, then to create the flaming effect pump fog into the structure with red lighting inside.
Just a thought:D

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't rule it out, just mentioned there's problems with the idea there, too.

That's almost precisely my initial thoughts on how to do it. I'm concerned that even conduit might not support that much weight in the center without some kind of support down the center (which I'ld rather avoid).

·
Registered
630 Posts
Are you thinking metal or plastic coduit, I would think the metal would do the trick for support

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little necromancy here...

Finally getting back around to this sucker, now that the lab is over and done with, and the BYOB tutorial finished.

I tried to get all 'cute' with the base, and had to scrap most of it a while back. But, it's slowly been coming together in spare time. Really got going this weekend.

Some 'feet' in process:

Feet mostly finished, and no-nonsense leg structure in place (remains of a failed leg attempt on the lawn as well...I'ld rather not talk about ;) ):

I actually finished up the legs, and have the attachment system ready for the body as well, but failed to get a pic of it. Hope to soon.

Just bought the conduit for the body last night, hopefully have at least a wire skeleton and beginning of it done by this coming weekend.

Just some dimmensions. the 'feet' are 3' tall, the 'legs' are 10' emt conduit bent in the center, so each leg is roughly 5' from center long. The 'body' will be 2 10' EMT conduits curved (though I have not ruled out cutting that down some, yet) covered in chicken wire and mache.

Arms...I'm still working on how to attach the arms...

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The head is coming together this weekend, body skeleton started.

Got some poor weather coming in again this week...gotta get it in. We're buying some waterproofing and will get it started next weekend, and waterproof as we go, to be able to not worry so much about the weather. Hope it works, trying yet another something new that will work in theory...

Haven't quite worked out how we're attaching the arms just yet. And, I need to double check the head angle before finishing it off.

If the whole charr thing don't work out, we got a heck of a head start on a dragon...

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,449 Posts
oh yeah! That's going to look awesome! :D

Are you still doing paper maché? Because I could see doing a light MM application with some lightweight burlap to get the effect...

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I had thought of that...but we're sticking to Paper Mache, because at 10' tall, I don't know that I could be hefting around a MM construction. My Totems are about 1/2 this size with some MM, and I can barely maneuver those. In fact, difficulty maneuvering them has led to some of the damage they've sustained.

While the frat boys next door would certainly help us out...I don't like NEEDING to rely on people to move things.

If the epoxy coating I'm going to be using for waterproofing works as advertised, durability is not going to be an issue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow. If you pull this off, you would handily beat the daylights out of the competition for the GW Halloween contest... *tries to send sunny weather your way*

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, turns out that if it's propped JUST right, it fits in the garage with an inch to spare!

Let it rain.

Are you still doing paper maché? Because I could see doing a light MM application with some lightweight burlap to get the effect
I must admit, this got me to thinking. And, we did go with the burlap, but are using an epoxy instead of MM, for much lighter construction (a bit more pricey, though). Comes off quite a bit like fiberglass.

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have Charr. The Guild Wars Halloween Art contest better be ready. This is unlike anything they've ever had submitted before.

Had to add two braces as the thing wanted to twist side to side. Just lashed them to the legs. There's braces if you look closely on the ones in-game as well, so I'm not too concerned about it. The arms still need a tad of work. We chopped down that tall grass in the background to lash to those bamboo for the arms.

Ran out of some paint, and I'm still awaiting delivery on some fog juice to do a full on test, but a fair idea. I'm ready for Asuran Cosplay to whoop me in the contest again, though...

The fog will REALLY bring this lighting to life. I have this string on a flicker circuit, and will be adding an orange string on a seperate one as well. Together with the fog, it should mimic the fire pretty decent.

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slotted, corregated tubing for the fog. 700W fog machine, both blend in fairly well from the front.

I'm going to be adding to the scene as a whole tomorrow for the contest, and I'm not 100% sold on the green flood lighting, might break out my torches and/or firepits, as they would fit the Charr well.

One thing about Froggy's is it can sure mess with autofocus...

So, I broke out my ye olde manual.

·
Registered
128 Posts
amazing prop ! i remember that in guild wars ( is black ink still like a bajillion dollars ? hehe ) anyway very impressive !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts