Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help with an idea for a cheap and quick prop for the front lawn.

i had originally planned to make some proper tombstones (even with a fairly small lawn, the dollar tree stones just look dinky) but we're now 5 days before the party and i just don't think it's gonna happen--there's too much other stuff to do.

we decorate the front porch with pumpkins, webs, etc., but i would like something in the yard itself. the inside of the house is decorated plenty, but the yard looks bare with nothing out there. i would like something that gets people's attention as they arrive for the party, but something i can put together on the cheap without a ton of effort. (cheap is negotiable, but ~$20 would be great.) it doesn't need to be elaborate, just something that shows we didn't entirely neglect the outside when we decorated the inside.

i thought about maybe doing a scarecrow. what's the easiest way to pull that off? very open to other suggestions too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Spirit has a scarecrow mask for about 20. Get that and stuff it. Make a stand out of scrap wood and put some old clothes on it, add the mask on top as a head.

You could really just get any kind of mask and do the same frame as above. Quick and easy, but not sure if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I don't know if you have a ride0on lawn mower, but I saw this image recently and we might try to do this in our side yard. If you can get some old newspapers, paper bags or pool noodles (at the Dollar Store), you can use them as cheap stuffing. We find clothes for dummies at thrift stores, and sometimes you can score old overalls or other one-piece outfits that work well. Then, just tape on a mask and some dollar store work gloves and you've got your driver. Stuff & tape some trash bags into a corpse shape & you're set!

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/a4/88/37/a4883787830d42dafe0227d3d0f0405b.jpg

If you don't have a lawn mower or ATV, you could just stuff a few corpse bags and lay them around your yard or try to "hide" them in your bushes or under your porch, etc.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spirit has a scarecrow mask for about 20. Get that and stuff it. Make a stand out of scrap wood and put some old clothes on it, add the mask on top as a head.

You could really just get any kind of mask and do the same frame as above. Quick and easy, but not sure if that is what you are looking for.
"quick and easy" is definitely the intention. i'm looking at the scarecrow pic from this thread as the kind of thing i'd like to do:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/131725-halloween-2013-a.html

that's not a "full body" pic but it looks like a reasonably easy build--i think i might go with something cruder for the face (maybe just a face cut into burlap?) but otherwise it's pretty close to what i want.

one question with scarecrows: what's best to use for the frame? i guess you want something thin enough to drive into the ground but thick enough to carry the weight of what you put on it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I do one that's pretty cheap and easy, depending on whether you have the materials lying around. I have a small pile of cedar boards I got from someone tearing down an old fence. I nailed them together in the shape of a cross. I got some corn stalks and cut them in half and used bailing wire to tie them to the front of the boards. The tops of the stalks stick out to the sides like hands, the bottom half of the stalks I tied around the vertical board to give some body to the prop. Took some burlap and draped it over the arms and down the back, stapled it to keep it in place. Carved a jack-o-lantern with the hole in the bottom and set it on top. Braced the whole thing by tying it against a tall garden stake. Probably took me about an hour to build without having to get materials. If you don't have easy access to corn stalks, try tree branches from fall pruning. If you don't have burlap, try freaky fabric. If you don't have a garden stake, use rebar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grab some dirt from somewhere anywhere to make a "newly dug" gravesite. Put up a tombstone, or a cross formed by two branches and cover it in cheap spider webbing. Throw old dead leaves on the dirt and put in some cheap skeleton bones or hands crawling out. You could create a tombstone from an old wooden fence or simply plywood, you could write on it.... "Rest In Pieces"

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Those small tombstones might still work for this year. There have been a couple of short tutorials on here where members glued them to larger pieces of foam and then painted them. The dollar store tombstone provides the detail while the Styrofoam provides the size to help fill your yard. Large, flat cardboard boxes can also be used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts