Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done rear screen projections into a yard for Christmas? I see various DVDs available that rear project Santa onto a window. But it would be fun to have something project out into a yard.

One idea would be a frosty the snow man with the head being some sort of shaped polyvinyl open in the back to project on. But I don't know of any good projections with a black background. Or exactly how to construct the projection surface. Is there any sort of plastic sphere one could cut in half to do that? Is there an easier way?

Halloween is so short down here in the buckle of the bible belt. I only put my stuff out on Halloween night because it would otherwise offend fundamentalist Christians in the neighborhood. How do I know? Another guy put up a graveyard for the month of October and evidently received nasty anonymous notes in his mailbox from neighbors. Now *that's* creepy. Like clockwork, these folks leave their homes before dark, and only return after trick or treating is over and most people have closed up shop. Guess they're going to their churches and doing alternate Halloween activities. In my view, it's so their kids won't see how much fun real Halloween is. Sad for the kiddies.

But Christmas... of course people deck the yards and go all out. With mangers, lights, etc. But it's mostly boring and uncreative. Stringing up a few lights (or uncreatively putting up too many lights and considering that clever) and buying every inflatable from Walmart. Yawn... So I'm thinking yard projection, window projection, and possibly one or two DJ snow machines. Something simple yet different.

How do you all decorate for Christmas that keeps the special effect spirit of Halloween alive? And can anyone recommend a good snow machine for under $100? Do any retail stores in the U.S. sell snow machines? Don't think I've ever seen one. I'm sure music stores like Guitar Center and Sam Ash do; but they'd likely be much more than $100. I'd rather get cheaper ones that I can put outside and if they die, replace them. I think many fog machines and other devices aren't rated for cold weather. Of course the attraction here is that yet, it gets cold. But we rarely get snow.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
Maybe a lites alive type thing ( or xmas music lite box ) to spruce up things show wise, a snow machine will probably be expensive for anything with decent output / effect......as for projections ImaginEERIEing's Frosty would be cool to project / animate onto a snowman body - http://www.imagineerieing.com/frosty.html

The Santa or Scrooge rear window projection would be cool too........

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe a lites alive type thing ( or xmas music lite box ) to spruce up things show wise, a snow machine will probably be expensive for anything with decent output / effect......as for projections ImaginEERIEing's Frosty would be cool to project / animate onto a snowman body - http://www.imagineerieing.com/frosty.html

The Santa or Scrooge rear window projection would be cool too........
Thanks Dark Lord. I wonder what the following video would look like projected onto fog around an inflatable snow man:

Or this one:

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
One of those would be cool to project, fog machine might be a problem if the outside temp is too cold - no foggy...... would be better with a hot water steamer of some sort for 'fog" effect curtain to project on.........but you probably wouldn't see the white snow on the fog........?
Maybe a rotating mirror ball ( mounted sideways & hidden ) to replicate snow effect....??

·
crossfit zombie
7,598 Posts
I never hardly do anything for christmas but I really want to.This year I haven't put anything in the yard at all.
Last year I did lights and candycanes and had them dance to the mr christmas light show.
I have things I want to do alot of animation but with all my halloween decorations I really have no storage.
Projections or a big sync light shows would require no storage so I would really love to do it.I won't be able to this year but would love to see what you do please post.
I do have the santa projection I got from ebay but haven't seen any others.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. Won't be doing anything this Christmas. Need to invest in a higher lumens projector in 2012 first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts