Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share my husbands great idea. We have columns up in the party area that he built last year. There are 6 of them. He mounted yard lights to the top of them...the kind that you stake into the ground along your sidewalk. We wanted to make the lighting be green instead of white, but I didn't want to fork over money for new colored bulbs or tinted glass. We came inside last night after working in the haunted trail all day. He went to pour himself a Mtn Dew and had one of those "light bulb" moments. All of a sudden that two liter bottle (which was green) was being mutilated. He went back to the columns, unscrewed the tops, and slid the green bottle down around the outside of the glass, but inside the frame of the light. Now, our lights are green and it cost us nothing! They have really nice green glow. Anyway, just wanted to share...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mt. Dew idea rocks!

That is so cool! I too have some lights I would like to tint green and will definately fish the 2 liter out of the trash bin for the effect . Great job! Happy Halloween !

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great idea! You may want to consider putting one or two tiny holes in the top to vent out any hot air that might build up in there. That plastic is pretty thin, and if it's working so well for you I wouldn't want them to melt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We got the lighting up and the speakers in place - Test run toniight ! Props are in place , so I'll be taking pictures this evening aswell.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
What a terrific idea. I've been trying to noodle a solution as well. It's really hard to change out the bulbs in my landscape lighting and this is the perfect solution. Please thank your hubby for me.

Can anybody think of a red 2 liter bottle?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Terra, what about glass paint, or some other translucent paint?

EDIT: Oooh...they're landscaping lights? Somehow I missed that in my original post...I was thinking they were regular halogen floods. Yeah, you shouldn't need to vent those. lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with BM... you can pick up a bottle of glass paint from your local Michaels or AC Moore for a couple bucks. I would suggest you paint the inside and outside (time permitting) and would use 2 coats per side for rich color.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Another way to color your lights without paint or new bulbs is to take the celephane colored type of wrapping paper and cover your light that way. We have the yard lights you stake in the ground, 20 watts and the outside cover does not get hot at all. No melting.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Another way to color your lights without paint or new bulbs is to take the celephane colored type of wrapping paper and cover your light that way. We have the yard lights you stake in the ground, 20 watts and the outside cover does not get hot at all. No melting.
Yeah, that should work too. I was also thinking of seeing if GuitarCenter has some gels that I could wrap around the light too. Okay, all great options...

Edit: What if I took a gel and put that inside a clear 2-liter bottle? Hmmmmm....

·
Banned
524 Posts
Ugh yea I see what you mean now....

Mine are like these....

I do this for Christmas and not Halloween. I take gel paper and cut it to the height I need it. I only cut it long enough so that it makes a half circle. Then I slide it inside on the front of the lens. That way from the street you see Red and Green light and facing the house and landscape it is regular light to light the house and landscape.

In your case I am not sure of a tasteful way to do it that would look good. I am sure you are probably using 4 watt bulbs right? Only way I know is to change out the bulbs with colored bulbs but they may not have the color you want. Also that way could get expensive if you have a lot to do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts