Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my haunt all year, since November 1st. I am really excited because it is going to be such an upgrade from last year.. My ? is this.
When is it acceptable to start putting things up in your yard?

I figure if you can put things up for Christmas right after Thanksgiving..
Then why can't I at least put up a few pieces in September? Not the actual props but the jute mesh or the backdrop pieces? When do you start constuction?

I just feel Halloween is one night but I am so excited I want it to be here now!!! LOL.

Ok my goal to have it at least done by October 1st so I can have a full 31 days of it up.What is yours and what do you find acceptable by the neighbors?Thanks for all of your help

·
Registered
629 Posts
I pull everything out the last day of September and put it in my "staging area" (ie:my backyard) then October 1st at 10 PM in the DEAD of night I'm out there setting up my haunt so that in the morning it's like Halloween sprouted out of the ground in my front yard. I get a full 31 days out of my haunt, maybe just a bit more as my wife insists that everything must be down no later than the week before Christmas:D, she's such a spoil-sport!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Uhm...I have my countdown guy in the yard now, without his sign.
He's been hanging around since Halloween.

I don't think I'm taking him down this year.
So, I'd say it's NEVER too early.

(this is the countdown with the sign)

·
Registered
122 Posts
The last week of September for me as well. I start setting up lights mostly. Get everything in place, add cobwebs to my fence, place my speakers and test music, then on Oct. 1st, everything gets turned on. When you walk by my house, you hear organ music, moans, and I slowly add props each weekend, so that everything..er, mostly everything, is setup by the 2nd week of Oct.

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
The last week of September for me as well. I start setting up lights mostly. Get everything in place, add cobwebs to my fence, place my speakers and test music, then on Oct. 1st, everything gets turned on. When you walk by my house, you hear organ music, moans, and I slowly add props each weekend, so that everything..er, mostly everything, is setup by the 2nd week of Oct.
what are peoples reactions when they walk by?

I am just going to set it up about a couple of weeks before....Friends and family can come see and maybe some odd publicity....

Ruggerz

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've started already....ooh...I mean I'm working on our backyard trail expansion now and I did add another entrance trail arch yesterday that leads into the cedar woods,still need to add another flood light. We are adding about 1 acre of woods this year so there's lots of trail grooming to do yet but we normally start early sept. on backyard props on the trail and by the end of sept we are at full force......sideyard and back are done come Oct. 1 the front will be up and running. Yeah I like a full 2 months to enjoy my set-up at least out back then in the front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I usually start about the 3rd week of September and slowly start to put things out. I try to be done by the 1st weekend in October. It has kind of become a game in the neighborhood as people walk by to see what new things I add each day/week. It has always been a positive response from the neighbors.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
We put up house fall type decorations sometime in September and then Halloween decorations anytime in October. Outside ones usually only about 2 weeks beforehand, but they have been getting moved to a friends house the day of Halloween for tot'ing because we don't get any tot'ers where we live :(

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think last year we started in early September!:eek: For no other reason than I needed the room in the garage to finish props so the fence and mausoleum had to go somewhere...why not the front yard?:D (Also, the wife was nearly driving me crazy bugging me to be able to put the fence up! Thats right...she was bugging me to start decorating that early. )

We found that people were very receptive. It was our first year here in Kansas, and we didn't know what to expect, but we met SO many of our neighbors that way and everyone we met thought it was so great and couldn't wait to see what came next.

Also, I find that having the "bones" of the haunt up early really helps in fine-tuning placement of tombstones, jute netting and lighting because you have a bunch of nights to go out and play with it all before Halloween. I'd say by the second week of October all our lighting is on every night, and tombstones are placed, crank ghosts are going (inside)...Then Halloween day, Nosferatu goes out, the groundbreakers come out, the witch, her table, more hot-glue cobwebs and final touches and sound.

This year, since the mausoleum is already built, we'll probably start everything the last week of September. And remember, ELH...Halloween may only be one night, but technically, Christmas is only one day...:D

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I should say, while my wife says nothing comes out until October 1st, I'm already building and "testing" different things in the front yard. Right now, I've got a completed stockade, a skeleton, and my new cider shack in the driveway.

And I just planed the pumpkin seeds! Hopefully, I'll start seeing vines in a few weeks.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I'm usually "building" right up to Halloween with the good stuff being put out a day or two before. This year, I hope to get most of the static props out around the middle of the month and am gonna strive to be finished the weekend before in case I decide to run a walk-thru then.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I should say, while my wife says nothing comes out until October 1st, I'm already building and "testing" different things in the front yard. Right now, I've got a completed stockade, a skeleton, and my new cider shack in the driveway.

And I just planed the pumpkin seeds! Hopefully, I'll start seeing vines in a few weeks.
My wife says the same, but last year with the new lightshow I was setting up a week early and out at midnight running test shows. When you have a opening nite of oct 1st, you have to start early. This year I may start a bit later and start putting things out on the 1st, will have to see how it goes.
My pumpkins are getting the 2nd set of leaves now, I planted 70 and have no idea where to put em all!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I started mid September last year with the bathroom. Had everything set up by Oct 1st. It's hard to contain myself when I start to see the store aisles filled with Halloween decor.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,087 Posts
Another one that waits until October 1st.

The lights all get changed out. We put out the basic graveyard fence and cheapy tombstones the first week, and anything that is hanging from the roof line.

The major decoration actually doesn't happen til the day of, and then it all comes back in at the end of the night.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts