Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a pvc Wrought iron fence to go around my front yard this year. here's what i've got so far.

here's 1 panel so far. its 8 ft with 11 posts at 8 inches apart. i used 1/2 inch conduit for the posts and wood furring strips for the cross sections.
IMAG2692.jpg
IMAG2694.jpg
IMAG2711.jpg
IMAG2713.jpg
IMAG2684.jpg

in the pictures above i have little skulls topping all 11 of the posts. the finished fence will have finials on the short posts. i haven't received them yet.

ill be using these 3/4 finials from kingmetals.com.

http://www.kingmetals.com/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=2858

here are the skull toppers. i couldn't find anything looking online and i walked in to michaels a week ago and there they were, perfect little plastic skulls. i tried finding these guys online so i could buy in bulk but no luck. anybody seen these yet?
IMAG2658.jpg
IMAG2701.jpg

i cut a hole in the bottom of them and hot glued a 3 inch piece of 5/8 dowel.
IMAG2707.jpg
IMAG2708.jpg
IMAG2699.jpg

in order to keep them nice and straight i used some scrap 1/2 inch pvc to sit them in while the glue cooled.
IMAG2705.jpg

now they slip right in to the 1/2 inch conduit and are nice and sturdy. ill most likely glue them on before painting.
IMAG2709.jpg
IMAG2660.jpg
IMAG2661.jpg
IMAG2662.jpg
IMAG2665.jpg
IMAG2664.jpg
IMAG2659.jpg

the rings sandwiched in between the top boards are 2 inch conduit cut in to 1 1/8 inch slices
IMAG2687.jpg

thats what i got so far. ill be updating this as i go along. i gotta build 7 more of these by oct. dont know if im gonna make it. lol!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Hey Kindo! Welcome to the forums!

That's a great looking fence. Love the details of the rings - really levels-up the whole look!

Great work!

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
what gg said ... luv the rings!

when you get the finials maybe you could experiment with putting a skull in the middle rings? see how it looks ... might have to paint a contrasting color so that they stand out some more ... or it may look like krap, lol! but if you're having trouble finding more you probably don't have any to spare

amk

·
Registered
719 Posts
how are you planning to attach the finial? I found some on that site I'd like to use but the 3/4" PVC is 1" wide and the larger finials are 3/4......maybe you can give me an idea on how to attach them

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks every body!

I actually was looking in to putting the skulls inbthe rings. It looks great but it would take about 200 of them to do it. Not surebif I could get that Manny. Lol!I might end up putting one in the middle ring of each section.

As for the rings, I have yet to put them on permanently. I'm going to try hot glue around the edges to try and symulate a weld.

The finials are going to be dremeled out a bit. I got the ones i ordered yesterday and I tried it last night and it works perfectly. At least on 1/2 inch. Not to sure if any of the finials would fit on 3/4 PVC. Though you could go the rout i took with my mini skulls and glue a dowle in them so they slip inside instead of over the PVC.

And I will no longer be buying the finials from kingmetals.com. they charged me alalmost $15 for shipping on a $5 order. Unless they can fix that i wont be goin back for the others.

I'm buying all the stuff I need for the rest of the fence today. So hopefully ill have more proggress soon. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used a heat gun to soften up the pvc pipe and then put the finials one, no need to dremel. Occasionally one will come off but they slide right back on. I had no problem with king metals but I ordered 500 finials so the amount of shipping vs product was okay. My shipping was about the same as yours.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree with the others and really love the ring detail on this fence! It definitely gives it a more "authentic" and detailed look. Anxious to see the finished product. Great job!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey guys!

i wanted to post a lot more progress pics but i was so busy i couldn't get the time. Halloween has come and gone my fence came out pretty well and it was a great Halloween. i didnt get to do all that i wanted to this year because i ran out of time. But i went from having 0 trick r treaters for the last 3 years to having the whole neighborhood come by and clean me out of all my candy so that's awesome. lol! here's a few videos i took walking threw everything. all done on my phone so there not the best quality but came out ok. need a new camera. lol! ill post some pics a little later. let me know what you guys think. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Looks great! I did fencing this year as I only had gates for the past 3 years. Drilling 84 holes - even with a forstner bit - what a pain in the arse that was!!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,520 Posts
Really looks good. You have a nice space to work with. I like the cob webs coming off the car. Did you use a web caster gun? Nice effect! Given the space you have, I'd try to add more tombstones and of varying heights, designs and thicknesses. It will give your graveyard a lot of dimension. You could also play with some colored lighting, maybe amber/blue for some pop. You have a really good start. I love the fence and am rebuilding mine next year using some of your ideas, particularly the rings. If possible, could you take a pic or two of how your fence is attached to the columns. I'm looking for a better way to do mine and I like hat I see here. Strong work!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys!

totally agree about the tomb stones. i was planning to make my own full size tombstones but i ran out of time. i went and bought a ton of em but when i put them in the yard they shrank. lol! so through out this year i hope to start making them for next year. i also wanted to make a half casket coming out of the ground with one of the skeletons hanging out of it. as for the lights, i had planned on that as well. i have rolls of colored film for the lights but yet again ran out of time. next year.

yes it was a web caster. the trigger stopped working about 10 min after i got it working well. figures. lol! that's y there wasn't web everywhere. lol!

drilling the holes by hand was a nightmare! lol! gotta get me a drill press this year in case i have to make more.

here's some pics i took on Halloween . my phone doesn't like low light so the night shots didn't come out so great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For a cell phone, those pics came out very well. What kind of phone was it? As much as I despise the new iPhone, it has the best camera I've seen so far. It outperformed my buddy's DSLR.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its an old htc inspire. it was one of the best phones on the market when i bought it. now i want to hit it with a sledge hammer. lol!

o and the fence is just screwed to the pillars. i didn't have time to come up with anything better. it held up really well though. still is. lol! think im gonna leave it up through Christmas and decorate it. switch out the finials and skulls with Christmas stuff and wrap it in garland and lights.

the only thing not doing to well is the pillars. there coming apart and the paint is pealing because of the rain. its my fault cause i skipped a few steps when i put them together for time reasons. now i have to redo them. o well, make them better i guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts