Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally! I've completed my sidewalk arch. Thanks to both TK421 and litemareb4xmas. Your ideas and suggestions helped it all come together for me. The lamps on the front of the columns have flicker bulbs and the gargoyles on top have red bead eyes lit by white L.E.D.'s from behind. The green light comes from a string of C-9's built into the column tops, but out of site. The arch light flickers like it's burning out. Now before anybody says it I'll be the first...."It needs a gate". Next year. As of now I've exhausted both my halloween allowance and my spouse's patience for "side projects". I have posted a history of the project in my albums for anyone who's interested.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Gorgeous!! Would LOVE to get some made one day (maybe next year!) and I hope they turn out so good!! :)

BTW - thanks, the green lights inside the column is a great idea, and I shall steal it when I do finally build mine! LOL

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very nice! Did you use this another how to for the idea? If not, are you going to make a how to for others? I would like to know what you used the build it. And I agree that the green light looks great!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very nice. Looks like what I'm currently working on except for the column stonework. Where did you get your gargoyles? I can't seem to find any big enough (columns are 1.5'x1.5') and at a reasonable price...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mikon those are outstanding, nice job! Thanks for the honorable mention!
I was so happy the other day while unpacking all my halloween boxes and found I had bought 2 gargoyles on clearance last year, I'vebeen thinking that's just what mine needed. Might I ask how you secured them?

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
The stone masons would be proud! This looks FANTASTIC!! When you go to store it again for next year, I would keep it up all year in the garage! That way you can always get the kids to put their bikes away. How many people can say "Park your bikes under the entrance to the graveyard!" :) LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gates

I like the stone look. I used paneling that looks like brick and looks very nice also. I have a suggestion for your lights that look better than flicker bulbs. Use regular bulbs possibly amber in color. Then wire in on one side of the power cord a low wattage floresent lamp starter. Put on in each lamp. Very real looking. Very Ironic my yard is also called Haunted Hollow

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried to use a variety of lighting effects with this prop. I did use the flourescent bulb starter idea in the "Haunted Hollow" sign. With the flicker bulbs they flicker independently and seperate from the sign. Then the recessed green and blue lights wash up over the gargoyles. The LED's in the gargoyles eyes can flash, but I don't like that as much as just on all the time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Awesome Job. I think the gateway looks awesome without a gate. Right now I would be happy to have a yard large enough to put an arch on. :) Dang townhouse. LOL

Great job! Thanks for sharing the pics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts