Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
If you want to create this effect without endangering your stereo here is a link to a simple one channel color organ. You can probably get the parts at a "real" radio shack....(that would be one that still sells component parts instead of cell phones) for about $10. Less if you already have a project board. Simple Colour Organ

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you can solder, I highly recommend this very easy-to-assemble kit:

Audio to light modulator kit

I built one of these last year and it only took about 45 minutes to build, including putting it in a plastic project box from Radioshack. I used it for doing thunder & lighting and it worked great! You can see the lightning in this video here... it's about 1:10 minutes in:
YouTube - Haunted Drury 2008 Montage

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
the how too looks pretty simple. I like xpendable's idea for the same concept.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hate to hijack the thread but Xpendable do you have any still pics of your groundbreaker mechanism? It looks great in your cemetary and I wouldn't mind stealing the idea! Thanks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey All, has anyone ever tried to modify Christmas lights in any way? I was looking to add lighting to a fence project that I have started, and thought that cutting off the bulbs, and extending the wires to fit my needs might be an easy way to go.
Of course you can cut and splice. Just use thick enough wire. I have 24 skulls on the top of my cemetary fence lit by individual C7 bulbs. I took the C7 sockets off strings of C7 christmas lights, purchased individual 110v plugs at my local hardware store, and wired them in with 16 gauge wire run through the vertical posts. I used THHN, which is a individual stranded wire encased in pvc because I had several spools of it, but most people would use lamp cord (cheaper) with similar results. The plugs hang out the bottom of each post, and I can then connect them to individual channels on my LOR boxes.

I don't think doing a cut-and-splice would be much fun with mini-bulbs, as they're made with much thinner and cheaper wire. If I wanted smaller than C7's, I'd consider going LED instead of mini-lights.

Craig

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting hack! The one I was looking for didn't involve cutting or modifying anything. It was simply replacing the first few lights on the strand with certain flashing bulbs. Twinkle bulbs, I think. The rest of the strand would then flicker like candles (not sure if it would be in unison or not). I think I found what website that I found it on (jacksonmanor.net), but the site is gone due to site problems, and it is reported to return for the Halloween 2010 season.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Back to those C-7's or C-9's hooked up to the stereo.... I don't think so!!!! If my stereo put out 110 volts (or even near that) I would wonder what the speakers look like! Oh My Gosh!!!

I see no possible way for this "hack" to work as is. If I am wrong, please correct me. (It sure would be neat if it did, but I really don't see it)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts