1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
No One Mourns The Wicked
5,231 Posts
I did a little searching for the big snake. Only a few places seem to carry them and they're all $750 and up. Sorry chubacabra. Can you use a smaller one instead or make your own snake?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking aboout trying to make one, any suggestions on how to do this?
Also, I would be fine with a used one or a beaten up one.

·
No One Mourns The Wicked
5,231 Posts
hmmm I've never tried making a snake. My first thought would be to get some fabric and sew up a body. The fabric texture might not be important because you'd need to paint the snake anyway.
Since this snake uses a rod inside of it to make it poseable you'll have to do the same. I think the head will be the hardest part if you're wanting the mouth to be open like the one in the picture.

I'm sure the other forum members will come up with some other great ideas too!

·
Scarhead Brain Tumor Guy
946 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Hauntiholik, sew a tube of some sort of fabric, if you want to put a bendable metal rod in the tube and the fill it with bean bag chair stuffing or something. Maybe the head could be made out of hard foam with a long enough neck to slide into the tube and glue the fabric tube to the foam head.

all that was just in case WTB means "Want To Build":D

·
Registered
158 Posts
chubacabra said:
I was thinking aboout trying to make one, any suggestions on how to do this?
Also, I would be fine with a used one or a beaten up one.
How about using some pool noodles the smallest diamter ones you can find and running a heavy gauage solid wire through it to make it poseable. 10 guage ? Then use some fabric covering paint it. You could take a head from another snake and attach it since that part could me a bit more difficult. The tail is fairly easy just trip the pool noodle thinner etc. The stuff carves fairly well. Not sure but this may not cost very much either. You could use duct tape to connect it together it has some flex to it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to make one. I found some good looking fabric and haven't decided what to stuff it with. Frightener, that is what made me want to get a giant snake. :D

·
No One Mourns The Wicked
5,231 Posts
RU - the pool floats are a great idea!
I bet if you had a lot of free time then the foam can be cut to give the appearance of scales. I would worry about using paint on the foam (I think it would flake off). Maybe gluing snake skin patterned fabric to the foam would work for that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Frighteners Entertainment said:
Along with that idea of the build, here's an easy how to with the smaller snake which could be easily adapted to the bigger one.
http://www.thefrighteners.com/Spitting Snake.htm
Jeff we could use the copper tubing up the center of the pool noodles to make it poseable and Air 2 purposes at the same time ! Hmmm This might turn out to be fairly decent. Did you ever get to make any pics of your snake creation after you finished it up. I remember somewhere you posted something about making a short video or something. ? I have the same snake you have in your pic and I will be making one of them for the grand ending. I am thinking of hanging some tree branches up high and of course the darkness of the haunt and the snake sounds should be a great scare. I am going have the snake pop out on pnuematic's and then let the air loose from the snakes mouth. Thanks for the killer idea by the way :)

I think the pool noodles would not hold the paint that is why I was thinking of covering them with some fabric then painting it all black then add some yellow spots like a real snake might have and some red dashes down the back side. I guess you could use duct tape all the way it seems to hold paint fairy well ? Glow in the dark spray paint ?? Wonder if we could use a snake head from one of the places that sell taxidermy supplies for the head ? I need some large snakes as well for our snake scene in this years haunt. Anybody got any good snake sounds out there ?

1,422 Posts
That's a good idea. As far as getting a vid, didn't get water hooked up to it yet.
Leaving on vacation next week followed up with IronStock same day we get back.

so, it might be a few weeks o get er done:)

And all I have for sounds are rattle snakes, which I used a few years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts