Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frankly, fellow fiends, I'm shocked my password still worked.

I don't think I've posted since 2018.

And it's so bright in here, wow. I hail from those creepy, black-screen days of yore and gore.

I'd have bet every gold filling in my totally-legal collection of teeth that this old forum had fallen to rot and ruin, but I suppose undeath was always an option... even a preference. On a melancholy whim, born of summer heat and growing discontent, I checked in on Pumpkinrot's blog and there he was, posting great stuff with enthusiasm and passion as before. Got me all nostalgic. I take it things are going well. Still a dozen new threads an hour in October?

Does the original forum-monger Larry still pop in?

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,214 Posts
@Spats

Personally, I haven't seen hide-nor-hair of Larry in ages, and I would imagine that the Facebooks, YouTubes, Instragrams, etc. continue to take bites out of all forums, but this one lumbers on.

The changes you observed here definitely seemed to have taken a toll on the Old Timers™ (though, I'm sure that time itself did some of that, too).

I'm not sure there will ever be anything like the old volume of new threads, or active users, but on the surface, it seems as though it's found an equilibrium.

And, for some, build season is here....so some of the hardcore folks will probably begin showing up with more regularity.

I know that I, for one, would much rather be loitering here dreaming of autumnal days to come than out in the infernal sun and dreadful heat of the season.

Glad you stopped by, and that your key still worked.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,659 Posts
I've been "on a break" from here & all things Halloween for a bit, plus it's gardening/weeding/finding all the snakes in our yard season, so once that's died down a bit I'm gonna be back a lot more.

As Defenstrator said, it's build season, so this place will get busier soon. Plus in about 30 seconds At Home will have Halloween out in full display!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,835 Posts
Haven't seen Larry in a few years, and do hope he's okay. He is missed!

Welcome back!!! The forum definitely has changed from the old days, but still has some fun stuff and quite a few regulars and a nice assortment of newer folks.

Also, you can change your forum settings to "dark mode" so it looks like it should:

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Defenestrator, understood. It is nice to a see a forum still active, though, and this one always had a certain allure. Glad it's still here.

RCIAG, a familiar name. As for build season, I've wondered what it's like in these supply-chain addled days of plague. I admit, back when I was a regular, I tended to take a leave of absence from January to April or May. It is neat to see Walpurgis getting some love here.

Hey, Frankie's Girl. I have no doubt that October folk on this forum, be they familiar, new or otherwise, are ghouls of quality. And yes, Larry was a good 'un.

·
Registered
14,834 Posts
Hey Spats is back! Nice to see you again.

This time of year is always more quiet, but should pick up closer we get to July/August. I’d say from posts here from the last two years a number of people took off decorating or went small doing it more for family or friends what with covid. Supply chain I’d say definitely affected whether people could buy what they wanted. Even DIY items were harder to come by and cost more.

So have you been decorating each year since last on? We took some time off to enjoy others work which was fun and relaxing and then the last two years my husband wasn’t okay with hosting ToTers. My mom moved out here, in her 90s, so between her, us and my husband’s job responsibilities been less inclined to mingle with crowds. Hope to do a yard walk around this year, at least working on it, but time will tell.

Nice to see familiar names popping up. Hope you’ll stick around.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, there, Spookie's shade, I remember you.
I'm not surprised things went quieter with Covid. Halloween 2020 was supposed to be amazing - Saturday night, a full moon, and the clocks falling back that night. But even if Covid hadn't eaten that amazing lineup, a massive ice storm crippled my area, and the power was out for a week in my neighborhood. That Halloween was nothing more than the distant grumble of generators and throwing out spoiled food from the freezer.

The next year was a tad better. A few Jacks on the porch, a decorated living room, atmospheric music, and warm cider. It felt closer to normal.

As for this year, likely the same, though I've settled on the final menu for Halloween dinner for a few friends. We'll serve roast pork with beer gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans, a peanut butter and chocolate pie, good eats and good company with creepy tunes and candlelight.

The one decor addition was taking foam pumpkins and cutting them in half, top to bottom, right through the stem. Carve a face, hang it on the wall, attach a soft white flickering LED bulb to a nickel-sized lithium battery, pop it in the mouth, and now you have a Jack on the wall like a bas-relief, complete with light inside. One pumpkin gets you two halves, and it's a fun way to add some seasonal illumination in the house.

Thanks for the salutations. I'll be around.

·
Registered
14,834 Posts
Love the foam pumpkin wall sconces! How about sharing some photos when you’re done? I have my own foam pumpkins sitting here waiting for something more mundane. Going to carve some basic dino/pterosaur patterns into them for the theme I’m hoping will get out of the garage this year. Just got out the book I had bought a while back with the patterns. Haven’t carved funkins in a number of years and first one is always the hardest to get going. Also very hot outside so even harder to get started!

BTW pork with beer gravy etc. all sounds great dining to me 👍

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good notion, I'll probably have the pumpkin sconces posted later this summer, and I'll give them their own thread in appropriate forum.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello again! You and I joined the same year. I'm not nearly as active as before, but still here.
Hey, Night-Owl. Thanks for the welcome.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome back Spats, I remember you back when I first joined up here.
You're familiar yourself, Stick. Nice to see you.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome back Spats.
This thread is all long haulers ☺
I trust by Long-haulers you mean vintage villains, and not victims of the current pestilence. Good to see you.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,687 Posts
Spats! Well there goes the neighborhood;). Nice to see you again from one old timer to another. You always brought a touch of class to the joint. Brought a smile to my face seeing your post! Hope you are well and don't be a stranger.

Reactions: SLCGirl

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spats! Well there goes the neighborhood;). Nice to see you again from one old timer to another. You always brought a touch of class to the joint. Brought a smile to my face seeing your post! Hope you are well and don't be a stranger.
Jdubbya! I trust things are still horrifying in the halls of the Manor?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts