Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Halloween Elitist
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those experts in electronics, saw this at a flea market today, guy wanted $5.00, I wasn't sure what it was but thought it might work to power a wiper motor. Anyone know if it would power a wiper motor?
20140503_092503-1.jpg
20140503_092517-1.jpg

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Although that power supply has a 12v DC output, which is what a wiper motor requires, it only outputs 23VA (~23watts) of power, which is ~2 amps (at 12v DC).
A wiper motor will draw more current than that under load.
You should find a 12v DC power supply capable of 5 amps output or more.

On a positive note...that power supply is considered "vintage" so you could probably sell it for more than you paid for it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Go to your local thrift store, you can usually find what you need there. They have "wall warts" for like .25 cents

·
Registered
84 Posts
Its an HO Model Railroad transformer.....
I head to my nearest thrift store and pickup laptop power bricks for about $2 each to power my props they work great and many are 12 volt

·
Registered
875 Posts
You came to the correct conclusion, but if you look closely that box says only 13VA for the it's DC output.

His box find might still be worth playing with, for instance it says pulsed output is available. If it uses PWM as it's speed control method it might be able to power a wiper motor on a FCG.

Although that power supply has a 12v DC output, which is what a wiper motor requires, it only outputs 23VA (~23watts) of power, which is ~2 amps (at 12v DC).
A wiper motor will draw more current than that under load.
You should find a 12v DC power supply capable of 5 amps output or more.

On a positive note...that power supply is considered "vintage" so you could probably sell it for more than you paid for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts