Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on going big this year and doing alot to my carport...if u dont know what that is its basically a garage with just the roof...no walls..

anyways im either gonna tarp off the walls to make it darker...or use cornstalks...
but my question is this...

I wanted to maybe use a laser vortex to draw people in....and on the roof and one wall I have that is the house....i was thinking maybe of using black tarps or that black out roll stuff...and use black light paints and do the ceiling and wall just like the trick r treat scene where all over is written treat or treat give me something good to eat.... now my questions are this..

would spray painted black tarps work ok?
will there be a glare off the tarp or black out rolls from the blacklights?

and would a laser vortex being used in the same area as a black light be too much and take away from the black light wall effect?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I wish i could help, but's hard to tell. I am planning in my dark maze, one of the corridors using only black lights, the rest light ropes and props to light the ways. Not sure if the lazer vortex would be to bright for any effect of the dark light. What i recomend, try it in the garage or a dark room to test it first.

Also, only 15 views and nothing is nothing. I used to be in a site with around 500 members, when I posted stuff, I had 200+ views... zero comments... Arg!! (L)

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Well, I'm stuck wondering about painting the tarps. We have like 328 tarps...I've never thought of painting them....now I too wonder if they paint, and hold the paint well??

G

·
0 Posts
wow 15 views and nothing lol
like osenator said, that's nothing. But if you want more comments then do what I do. I p.m. a bunch of people and twist their arms to force them to make comments on my threads. :D:D Seriously. true story.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I think black light paint would stick...but paint it flat on the ground and hang it after it's dry....just guessing though

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Also, those views could be from non-members. They couldn't post a reply until they joined.

I don't know if there would be a problem with your tarps (no experience there) but I suggest you paint the image with white primer first. It really makes the fluorescent paint pop and you don't have to use as much paint to get good saturation.

I use black landscape fabric for my florescent panels. I really have to prime them first because the fabric just sucks up the paint! But, at least it's cheap :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I painted blue tarps black one year with spraypaint. Not sure if it was the brand of paint or what, but it stuck for about a week with no problems, then started to flake off everytime it was bumped. during takedown i had a small pile of black paint dust. I'd try a small section first before taking on the whole project. After my failure i moved on to landscape fabric.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Two years ago we used black plastic table cloths with a matt finish and spelled out warnings in blacklight reactive tape in different colors. They worked great and we are able to use them over and over again because the tape never comes off. We just fold up the table cloths, and rehang them each year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used a tinted primer (latex) and air sprayed it on to lumber wrap and it stayed on fine.
A couple years before I did a stamping technique with regular latex paint and this also flaked off.
Not sure if it was the type of paint or the thickness it was on the tarp. The spray on design was not really heavy.
Maybe it is the difference between the way it is applied.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't know for sure, But I am thinking since most tarps are waterproof to keep things dry, (firewood etc.) Paint may not stick too well. You may need a primmer first.

I am just about done with a ground breaker I have made. I also made the "ground" he is rising out of. I made a earthen colored mat out of foam packing sheets.

I found that even paint primmer rolled right off ! So. I glued a layer of newspaper to the foam sheet first, let dry, then painted it the earth tone. The paper took the paint and the foam sheet gives it the strength you see?

Perhaps this would be a good cheap way to "treat" your tarps? ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
The cost of painting tarps have got to add up quick. I used black plastic from Walmart or Home Depot. It was in the paint area.

Good luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
BLACK LIGHT PAINT WILL FLAKE OFF AT THE SLIGHTEST MOVEMENT OF THE TARPS. i PUT BLACK LIGHT PAINT ON TARPS ONE YEAR AND EVERYTIME THERE WAS A SMALL BREEZE OR SOMEONE BUMPED INTO THE WALL, IT CAME RIGHT OFF. HALF WAY THROUGH THE NIGHT THE SCENE WAS RUINED.

BRUISER

sorry bout the caps..lol

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
In reply to the vortex light and the black lights, i believe the black light would not show well with the vortex. I have an area with a couple black lights going and when trying to introduce a spot it really cut down on the black light effect.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I think the glossy finish on most plastic tarps will repel paint. It you use a tarp made from fabric like old muzlin or canvas then you can get paint to stick to the fibers and be permanent. I also have found that sinthetic tarps will reflect light to an extent. So a vortex or black lite may have problems with those plastic tarps sold at Wal-Mart.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts