Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know where else to post so I figured, why not here.

How can you cut rebar? I have a bunch that needs to be cut that we were gonna use in a driveway. Need it for my fence now.

Ideas? Advice?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Didn't know where else to post so I figured, why not here.

How can you cut rebar? I have a bunch that needs to be cut that we were gonna use in a driveway. Need it for my fence now.

Ideas? Advice?
Any saw with a blade for cutting metal should work - I use a Sawzall to cut my rebar with a metal blade. Hacksaw might work but would obviously take longer.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Use an angle grinder with a cut off disc or a chop saw (cut off saw). You can get them at harbor freight pretty cheap. Yeah, the spark show is fun!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Use an angle grinder with a cut off disc or a chop saw (cut off saw). You can get them at harbor freight pretty cheap. Yeah, the spark show is fun!
I also use an angle grinder with an abrasive cut off disc, but you need to be careful with the sparks. I almost set my house on fire last year.:eek:

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
I use a dremel tool with a metal cutting disk in it. I just score around the rebar until I get about halfway through it and then just bend it back and forth at the cut. It snaps off right at the cut.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think I'll try the "Master Key" first. I can always find a use for it later. Bad thing is, I own one but it's buried somewhere

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
Metal cutting disk in an angle grinder. Follow up with the regular disk to clean the cut edges.
Or...metal cutting bandsaw.
Or...hacksaw
Or....cold chisel and hand sledge.
Or...cutting torch
Or...heat the area you want to cut to orange heat, place over hardy in anvil, strike.

Bolt cutters...how thick is the rebar?

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I bought a mini chop saw (I think it's 6") from Harbor Freight a couple years ago...the disc I got works great on rebar and pvc

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've cut it with a metal hacksaw blade in the hacksaw- I was told at the lumberyard where I bought them "You can't cut rebar with a hacksaw" but I proved them wrong- it was 1/2" and I needed to cut them down to the right length as concrete reinforcement in 18 sonotubes. If I can cut two pieces per sonotube with a hacksaw (took a little time but not unreasonable) then I would go that route. Sometimes others want you to buy a fancy tool to do something simple, or they can't see spending the time- not me- if it's cheaper to do by hand, then that's how I do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
16 Participants
nimblemonkey
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing