Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a new scene idea of having someone tied to a chair and gagged in a haunted attraction. Please see my youtube channel, skullfacedghost. I beta tested it by gagging and tying myself to a large heavy chair before slipping my wrists through a looped bungee rope behind the the back to make it look as realistic as possible. I sat tied and gagged for 6 hours trying to hop in the chair and yell gagged unable to talk. I found being tied up in bib overalls was the best costume for a haunted orchard. The torso ropes dug into the bib over my chest which kept them from slipping and moving around the entire night and prevented rope burn. Also the rope can be looped through the brace over my shoulders which means the more I try to move only tightens the ropes. My fellow haunters thought is was a good idea to continue even as a virtual video. I welcome your thoughts over this idea.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Did you "Borrow" this idea from the famous haunter, "Juan?" Ty--Juan?
I hope the chair leg doesn't land upon someone's toe! What would you do if some nasty patron decided to punch you as you had your hands behind your back?
I think i might modify this by having a headless dummy in the chair with my head looking over the back of the chair, so you can quickly move the whole chair or jump out from behind it if needed, or quickly pull your head back if someone's fist comes flying at you. Let them punch the dummy-body in the stomach all night long!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My intention is not to be in the hallway the patrons walk through, but in a room the patrons don't go in but can see into. The actor can still get loose of his own accord by pulling his hands out of the looped band, but the patrons think he is really tied up. Thinking also a bandana gag is better because you can take it out easier for a drink or snack in-between scenes. It might also be more dramatic to yell for help in front of the patrons, and another haunter quickly appear and gag him from behind with the bandana. a strange apparatus could be turned on just as the patrons leave. this would also work well in a hayride with good lighting. Denim overalls work best with fiber ropes because they won't slip around on the bib over your chest.Don't use nylon rope. Carhartt bib overalls have strap clips that won't come apart when the actor tries to get loose in front of the patrons.

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
I see potential liability issues if you're having an actor in this position. It only takes one little thing to not work right. The rope slip and cut into a neck, hands behind the back can be dangerous if the actor needs to free themselves, or just moves wrong and tweaks a shoulder. Having someone come and 'forceably' gag them could go wrong as well. In fact, a gag can be uncomfortable all the way around (not a game breaker, just have someone comfortable with it).

I'd suggest 'tying' the hands (wrists) to the arm rests of a heavy chair. Maybe nice thick leather straps instead of rope as well (more comfortable, just as visual)? This allows the actor much greater motion in the chair. You could have them struggle and "free" a hand, start working on the other one, and have the villain come in to tie them back up before looking menacingly at the hay ride as well. Have an empty chair or two ready for another victim.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
"Brain-Flash!" Have a set of phoney arms tied behind the back use a large shirt, have weak velcro to hold the front of the shirt together with free hands resetting it from inside of the big shirt.
Imagine how weird, when an extra set of arms/hands come right at them from the front of the big shirt! ( "But his arms are tied behind his back!?" )

now put a large Rat puppet in his hands with entrails dangling from the rat's mouth.... Chest-Burster!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the possibility of a "virtual" scene that may have a liabilty when live the whole operating hours of the attraction? That is film the scene ahead of time for 15 minutes, then have it play in a loop during the hours of the attraction. Make the patrons think they are seeing it through a window or doorway. It would not have to be a duration more than 15 minutes because new patrons are always coming through the attraction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another important thing is not to try to hop in the chair on gravel or dirt because you could tip over! Only hop tied to a chair on an unobstructed concrete or wood floor. The denim bib overall over your torso will absorb perspiration without getting hot and sweaty unlike other costumes. This also keeps the ropes straight and even around your torso. When you sit still, the ropes relax which makes it comfortable just to sit in the chair wearing bibs. Use a sturdy, wooden chair like a "electric" chair. Don't use a folding or rickety one. Avoid an old cushion chair because the springs can come through the seat of your overalls. The purpose of the gag is not to keep you quiet but to prevent from talking to anyone around. The bandana gag is worn by being pulled into your mouth which will make you somewhat thirsty. Soak it lightly with bottled water. I was tied up still wearing my construction goggles from my day job which fogged up making it difficult to see, but patrons may not be able to readily recognize you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts