Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. My name's Lisa and I'm currently working on building a haunted tree so I thought I'd post some progress pics. It was influenced by to "how-to's" on here: made by Mizerella and The Dark Gardener (sorry, I can't post links because this is my first post and it says I have to have 3 posts before I can post links.)

I used a cardboard concrete tube as the bottom of the tree and I had a really long, skinny cardboard box from something I had purchased and it

IMG_7531.jpg

I outlined a face using the twisted newspaper (I only colored it in black with a marker so it could be seen. The arms/branches are made from 2 wire coat hangers twisted together at the end (which ends up in the middle of the cardboard box that is the top of the tree.) I stuffed a lot of paper in the carboard box-tube to help hold the coat hanger wire in place. (That's the Pumpkin Nester from Spirit in the back there. I don't like buying large props really, but I fell in love with it for some reason.)

IMG_7534.jpg

Then, I paper-mached the whole tree using Elmer's Art Paste (a small bag of powder that you mix with 4 L of water and if sealed, stays useable.)

IMG_7544.jpg

Today I wrapped some newspaper around the wire branches and then paper-mached them. I have to pose them a little bit more. I'm going to have something hanging from them that is moss-like, but I'm not sure what yet.

IMG_7545.jpg

That's it for now, I'll update as I go along. Next up is painting! :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
looks really good- looking forward to seeing it completed. Spanish moss from one of the dollar stores would be something you could drape on the branches.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Wow! That's a huge project for mache but it looks awesome! I remember seeing that tutorial from Mizerella. Now whenever I see someone buying concrete tubes I just assume someone's making trees.

Can't wait to see it finished!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! And yeah, the concrete tubes are too perfect to make trees. We don't have a tree in the front yard because a monsoon ripped it out last year, so I figured I need to make one. :)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I made a "tree" here by digging a big hole, pouring in concrete as I stuck long pieces of re-bar into the wet crete in sort of a circle. Then later I welded some angle steel to the re-bars , then welded some sheet scrap steel to the re-bar.
The branches of re-bar angle out and up looking very tree-like. I used this to hold up and display a steel sculpture I had made of a Knight riding on the back of a Dragon. The Dragon has wings, one of which is just skeletal with small birds pulling flesh off of it. The Knight is smiling, even though he lost an arm to the Dragon.
I titled this work:"Just Me and The Wife Out For a Sunday Drive."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on Haunted Tree

Wire and masking tape to create branch/hand. Then covered that with newspaper and paper mache. IMG_7546.jpg

IMG_7550.jpg

Black base paint
IMG_7551.jpg

Added brown and grey highlights
IMG_7561.jpg

Still going to add some highlights and lowlights and attach some mossy stuff, so I will update again soon!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looks great! Is this going outside? If so I'd recommend many many coats of a waterproofing sealer. I made a tree like this many years back and the moisture from the mache, rain, humidity all conspire to make the cardboard tube very weak. If this is staying inside it probably won't be an issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know, I thought of that a while ago, but I would have totally forgotten if you didn't mention it to me here! I totally need to weatherproof it with a sealer of some type. Thanks for reminding me!! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts