Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm building a guillotine as one of my props for this year. I'm going to make it 90% functional (figured I leave out the actual head chopping part). My idea is to make it so that kids and adults can get their heads locked in it, the blade will drop, bit no one will get hurt. Also will make it so kids have to reach through the hole to get the candy. a few questions though.

1. what is the best way to make a piece of wood look like a metal blade?

2. What's the best way to make the blade and wood look blood stained?

3. any ideas how to make a 4 foot tall guillotine high enough off the ground it can be used. had to make it small so I can store it. The opening will be about 1 foot off the ground....I'll attach a picture of what it will look similar to.

images-6.jpeg

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
I've always wanted to build a guillotine.
I built a scale model guillotine for my daughter a few years ago, and for the blade I used a piece of plexiglass. I painted it gray, then spray painted the bottom portion of it silver (for the sharp part at the bottom).

I would use real wood stain to color the wood, then if you want it to look weathered, dilute some black and brown acrylic paints with water and use a brush to put it on and let it drip down the wood.

You could always make your guillotine bigger, but make it where you can dis-assemble it for storage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
image.jpg

I built one a couple years ago. It was very easy to make. I used a sheet of aluminum for the blade. I got it from Home Depot for about $10. My blade is screwed into the wood in the back. I think making it movable in any way could be dangerous.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
90% done. I realized I didn't cut the blade at an angle, so I'll do that and add some blood then I'm done with prop #1 for this year's haunt

Reactions: Grey Lady
1 - 5 of 5 Posts