Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was thinking of making like a creepy bridge over a river kind of vibe. Basically, you know, it's really dark, and you see a small stream of water, a creepy bridge and a fog floating around.

Okay, so I need to find a way to make like a really wide, oddly shaped pool thats only like a couple inches deep. I could make it really long and fill it with like swampy water and then put plants and mud around it as not to show it's a pool.

I will build a creepy yet simple bridge and then throw some dry ice in it, maybe hidden behind a rock to give off the fog effect. Maybe put in some animal noises like crickets, frogs, and owls.

So I feel the haunt will give off a nice vibe, but what next what can I do with this. In my head it sounds like a solid idea, but I don't know where to go with it.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
I would attempt this like this if i was trying to build it. I would use some lumber framing for the pond edges and use a pool liner or other thick black plastic to hold the water. The liner being fastened to the sides of the lumber framing at the top edge and bottom adge. The bottom edge being so that the water will rest flush against bottom edge of frame and not pull it loose from the top edge causing leaks. The fog idea is a must and i think i would add a hanging lantern to appear that there is someone or something coming through the fog towards the bridge. If time and money persist you could even add some type of pop up coming up next to the side of the bridge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is perfect. Awesome man. Honestly I am not a big animatronics guy. I think they are cool but I like putting most of my work in the scenary and having the actors do the rest. So yeah, I like the lantern idea a lot. Thanks.

I was thinking what else could make this work. I will need to make it enclosed almost so they can't look around and see my fence, so find some really thick trees and get some branched and drape them on both sides so you can't really see where the swamp ends on either side.

Also, I need to find a way to give it that strong swampy smell, but I have no idea how I could do that.

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
I am thinking, The more plants in the area, the better. Like Kprimm stated above make a frame and cover with black plastic, fill with a couple inches of water (later you can use a shop vac to remove water.) Fill your pond with all types of potted plants, tall and short.

Set some concrete forms into the pond, lay some pallets that have been screwed together on top of the concrete forms to build a walkway. /-------\ Rough design there.

Put a big shop fan somewhere far off, but yet where you can still fill the wind blow. Mask the sound of the shop fan with a wind sound, also you will want to add sounds such as crickets, frogs, and other swamp bugs.

I would go with some ethereal lighting, such as blue or green instead of white or yellow.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
Great idea gothic princess that will just add to the whole design. Now you have me wanting to make one. This sounds like it will be totally ghoul.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds like an amazing template to go crazy on. You get the right vibe, use this as the entire theme and this could be really amazing. Wow, I love all of your great ideas. The lighting and the wind, the swamp smell (I had no idea they did that). Wow, amazing.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I had no idea there were fod scents! This is awesome. Sounds like you may be a builder & have the capacity to build you own pond. If it we me I (cause I have no skills) I would get two of those kiddy pools that are kinda shaped like an 8 and place them end to end, then disguise it.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I had no idea there was FOD!!

No, seriously. I had no idea there were fog scents, either.

KPRIMM, have you ever used any of the scents? Indoors, outdoors, etc?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think I would go for the long narrow river/creek idea, use a pond pump and set it on a incline so you get the sound of the running water, maybe some cricket/frog machines hidden in the bushes, maybe some led fireflys hanging from trees. Think bayou scenery. Maybe a alligator or too even. Wow where are you gonna find the time!

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
I couldent really tell you anything about the pond because I have no experince and it seems like it's all been said but if you need something scary, I'll be more than happy to lend you pickle. He's my aligator snapping turtle and he scares the [email protected] out of people. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha, wow, yeah I can't wait to check out the fog, and wow, this is getting more complicated every minute, maybe this is a 2010 kinda project with a full swamp theme, maybe a swamp\cemetery theme

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've read bad things about adding scents to fog machines, now that you have a very expensive machine you may want to check before you try anything like that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In my experiance with fog machines I don't seem to have very good luck with them in the wind. Your in Texas ( I won't hold that aginst you as long as your not a long horn fan.. Bommer Sonner ) lol, and here in Oklahoma it seems that the wind blowes to much for my fog machines to displace the right scene I'm trying to get.

I guess if the fan was up high enough for the people to feel and not disrupt the fog on the ground that would be ok. So this might be a small challenge. I do however love the idea of a swamp. And you could even have someone dress up as the swamp thing for the added scare.

Joe

·
Registered
110 Posts
You would have many characters to choose from for the scare in that area, swamp witch, water creature, wild animal, shoot the way it sounds you may not need a true scare. It may be creepy enough without the scare, Dan

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I've always wanted to do a swamp..I love them. I spent two weeks last year living in a mangrove swamp in Cuba and despite being half eaten alive by all manner of "nasties" it was a great experience.
Firstly, I would think that to make a "believable" swamp you would need a fairly large area.
I would go with the idea of a pond liner, it doesn't need to be deep. An inch or two of murky water will suffice. Green, yellow and red lighting mounted low down to pick out plants. There are submergable pond lights available if your budget will stretch to it, or you can find them cheaply enough. If you have trees around, some shredded burlap hung in them will give a pretty fair imitation of spanish moss, unless you can source the real stuff. I have seen it in the Florida 'glades, but I'm not sure if it is quite as abundant elsewhere.
Potted plants can be extremely expensive..maybe think of making some yourself using wire, card or whatever.
Fog scents can gum up the workings on your fog machine...How about composting some veggies and plant material for a few months or so and placing it upwind?...an authentic aroma and good for the environment.

Oh..and definitely hire "Pickles"..Aligator Snappers are amazing creatures!
Just dont wade in the swamp Barefoot!:)

Best of luck

·
Registered
122 Posts
I really am diggin this swamp idea...but it looks like even though halloween in far off, you have a crapload on your hands. But to add to this madness I have another idea for the swamp!
Ever been on pirates of the Caribbean at disneyland? And you are going through the swamp in the first part, well there are facades of swamp houses in the water and the one with the guy sitting on the porch. I don't know your budget and I not too sure you want to put the guy, but you could build a facade of a swamp house in the distance and with the proper lighting, I think it would be a perfect touch to your scenic haunt.

kinda like this

·
Registered
157 Posts
I might suggest placing some haunting image in the water (e.g., like the drowned Ophelia, or one of LOTR's Dead Marshes inhabitants)...

A 2-D (rendered as 3-D) laminated or otherwise waterproof, life-sized "inhabitant" looking back from below the surface may add an additional chilling dimension. Flexible waterproof LEDs could be used to illuminate it. A slight ripple effect might also enhance the effect.

Or perhaps you might experiment with placing a matted mirror under the water, and if you can hide a projection source, possibly do a Pepper's Ghost gag...

Looking forward to some pics of whatever you come up with!

Most Sanguine Cheers,
SOT

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I think this is something I will have to concentrate on for next year. I would need to make this the complete theme, and this doesn't fit with anything else I have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts